Dear Mr Lenegan,

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Dear Mr Lenegan,

Post by East Stand Faithful »

For many years I had a season ticket in the East Stand with my sons. About 6 years ago I stopped renewing it on the basis of declining standards of the Wigan team and Super League in general. I understand the club has lost money in recent seasons but am dismayed to learn you are cutting the club budget as you believe we can remain competitive on a lower outlay.I was contemplating renewing my season ticket given the exciting appointments of Adrian Lam and Shaun Edwards. However, we have lost numerous international standard players and replaced them with inferior and uninspiring signings.I believe Wigan should lead and not follow the pack in becoming mediocre. Until that happens count me out.

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Wiganer Ted

Re: Dear Mr Lenegan,

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Don't agree ESF.
We have just won the GF and regularly reach finals winning most if not all. I think we've signed players who are quality and will be excellent for us. Greenwood immediately comes to mind. Who knows how Hardaker will go but if it works well he will be a very good signing indeed.

The losses over the past few seasons are unsustainable for a club like Wigan and IL has every right to control costs. I do think we've a squad that can match any other in SL I do feel we'll win a trophy or two in 2019.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm not happy my team isnt signing star players so i will damage it even more by not buying a season ticket as to futher add to the reason you have cost cut!!!

I mean your money and your choice but to me it seems pretty flawed logic.

Apart from the aussies that Maguire brought that left with him (like what will happenat leedsand warrington) who have we really had that was a star player?

Tomkins - Wigan youth he developed with us
Richards - because the player we all loved he didnt come across a star
Charnley was exciting to watch but again Wigan youth.
Green was a chance from KR that paid off

Frank paul was a big signing look how well he turned out...
Hamlin was a chance.... look what he became

We have Escare/Hardaker/Williams/Gildart/Manfredi/Farrel/Burgess/Davis/Marshall/lockers all players that can create abit of magic

We have Clubb/Hamlin/Flower/Naverette/Tautai at prop with some youngsters and granted project players and as mentioned Signed Greenwood who offered more than most probably expected.

We are not as bad off as everyone keeps doomsaying and with the Amount of international players in the squad i would say the "squad" cuts are not as drastic as being banded around.

If i could challenge anyone it would be "stay Ancient and Loyal" turn up to games! Support wigan so that when 2020 comes instead of more cuts Edwards gets funds to play with.

On Cuts... we hired Edwards hes already admitted hes on similar to his Union Wage!!

On the standard of superleague it hasnt gone down. The game has changed defence has become tighter (the same in the NRL) this makes those exciting moments harder to earn, changing that will require need ideas and new coaches not developed in that system..... Like Edwards who learned his trade in union and played in a time the Game was different.

In Short IL had taken a giant finacial risk listening to Fans and in return people find more faults.

This is just a general rant and not really aimed at you ESF and apologises for spelling and grammer furiously typing on a phone with fat fingers leads to errors ????
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

East Stand Faithful wrote:For many years I had a season ticket in the East Stand with my sons. About 6 years ago I stopped renewing it on the basis of declining standards of the Wigan team and Super League in general. I understand the club has lost money in recent seasons but am dismayed to learn you are cutting the club budget as you believe we can remain competitive on a lower outlay.I was contemplating renewing my season ticket given the exciting appointments of Adrian Lam and Shaun Edwards. However, we have lost numerous international standard players and replaced them with inferior and uninspiring signings.I believe Wigan should lead and not follow the pack in becoming mediocre. Until that happens count me out.

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful
6 years ago?!? Bad standard of rugby we were playing?!? We were still playing decent rugby then as wane hadn’t quite drained it out of the players as it was his first season.
Also I think that why IL has made cutbacks for this season is obviously he might want to save abit of money this season after his losses, but I almost suspect he might be leaving the money and marquee space open for Bateman. Cause remember lockers will be retiring so he Bateman would slot straight into loose, of course this all depends on how Bateman gets on in the NRL.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

The only part I agree with is Wigan should lead and not follow. I think Mr L is doing that slowly but surely.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

In the last few years Wigan have re-signed the likes of Gildart, Williams, Tomkins, Manfredi, Marshall, Farrell, O'Loughlin etc. If ANY other team had signed those players their supporters would have been shouting it from the rooftops, but for some reason some spectators only look at who have left.
billy's pineapple ring

Post by billy's pineapple ring »

We're all doomed Captain Mainwairing, doomed I say. This is perhaps the daftest post on here for some time. Let me ask you this, if you had a shop and it kept losing money every year would you just keep it open, pouring your own savings into it year on year, or would you finally see some sense and begin to make a few cuts here and there in an attempt to at least break even in order to possibly stop your shop having to close.
IFL has done more for this club than any previous chairman I care to remember and I have been supporting them since the 60's, I think he has earned our trust in that he has managed to bring us lots of success compared to other clubs who have wealthy benefactors, while having to run a tight budget. He knows all of the facts and figures regarding this next season and future seasons and I am more than happy with the way he is running the club.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

When Ian Lenagan took over he stated that it would probably take five years to get the club really competitive again and winning things. He managed it in three.

Since 2010 we have won a trophy or got to a final every year, that's nine years, what more do people want?
Sport is cyclical and we may have a few lean years at some stage, look at Leeds and Saints as their established star players came to the end of their careers.

Ian Lenagan seems to have taken the view that the best way forward is through the youth system, ten academy finals in eleven years, winning nine is a fantastic achievement that should that should be lauded and we need to continue bringing these players through.

Get down to Leigh today and watch some of them as they play for England academy v Aussies.
SJ

Post by SJ »

East Stand Faithful wrote:For many years I had a season ticket in the East Stand with my sons. About 6 years ago I stopped renewing it on the basis of declining standards of the Wigan team and Super League in general. I understand the club has lost money in recent seasons but am dismayed to learn you are cutting the club budget as you believe we can remain competitive on a lower outlay.I was contemplating renewing my season ticket given the exciting appointments of Adrian Lam and Shaun Edwards. However, we have lost numerous international standard players and replaced them with inferior and uninspiring signings.I believe Wigan should lead and not follow the pack in becoming mediocre. Until that happens count me out.

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful
This is an open "letter " to IL. It gives an honest opinion which deserves respect. The game isn't a charity ESF 0viously believes in "quid pro quo" and feels he's not getting value for money He's not righting his options off but merely executing them for as and when he feels the clubs vision changes

Perhaps Ewards Lam (SEALS will work some magic and reignite ESF passion. Hope so
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Cutting costs to turn losses into profits isn't always the right option in business.

If your customer base is falling away, cutting costs and making an inferior product is a knee jerk strategy. What if the crowds fall by another 2,000 do you reduce costs further?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?