Zak Hardaker back on board at Wigan Warriors... and here’s why Adrian Lam is excited

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SJ

Re: Zak Hardaker back on board at Wigan Warriors... and here’s why...

Post by SJ »

Why. How many chances does he need to prove he's a pollock
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
old hooker wrote:
thegimble wrote: Did we get a fee for ST from Catalan?
Whether we sold him or not he has gone and was the best Full back in SL last season and is a class act who we will miss..
He is a class act and we should have retained his services but I still believe that Zak is a better full back. My preference would have been to play Sam at 7.
I agree SEFC Sam is a class act but his lack of aggression/unwillingness to run the ball out of defence is why I preferred him at 7, also why I didn't rate him as the best fullback last season. The only time you saw Sam run it in hard, was near the opponents line on a glory run for a try.

Love him or hate him Zak inform imo will give us position, aggression, defence and speed from the fullback position.

Matt
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

nitsua wrote:I agree with you and let's not forget Sam issues and we put up with them. For God's sake, I wish anyone would give Zak a chance to prove
himself.
Hes had more than enough chances
pedro

Post by pedro »

adiddy wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
old hooker wrote: Whether we sold him or not he has gone and was the best Full back in SL last season and is a class act who we will miss..
He is a class act and we should have retained his services but I still believe that Zak is a better full back. My preference would have been to play Sam at 7.
I agree SEFC Sam is a class act but his lack of aggression/unwillingness to run the ball out of defence is why I preferred him at 7, also why I didn't rate him as the best fullback last season. The only time you saw Sam run it in hard, was near the opponents line on a glory run for a try.

Love him or hate him Zak inform imo will give us position, aggression, defence and speed from the fullback position.

Matt
no fullbacks in england run the ball out like they used to, they use the wingers.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

The reasons that fullbacks now tend to give the ball to the wingers to clear the line is that
1) The wingers are generally bigger, faster and stronger.

2) The modern day fullback is now very much an extra ball playing halfback and Sam certainly was, so you don't want him tackled 1st up meaning that you are a ball player short for plays 1 and 2.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

No straw damn us wrote:The reasons that fullbacks now tend to give the ball to the wingers to clear the line is that
1) The wingers are generally bigger, faster and stronger.

2) The modern day fullback is now very much an extra ball playing halfback and Sam certainly was, so you don't want him tackled 1st up meaning that you are a ball player short for plays 1 and 2.
Don’t be daft, it’s because Sam was soft! :doz:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Yeah, you never see Billy Slater, TVS or Tedesco run the ball. By all means argue that he could kick, point and pass well, but how anyone watching the game at the top level could conclude that good full backs don’t run the ball beggars belief. Though if Sam’s dad posts on here, I can understand the family loyalty.

If he had agreed to play for us at 7, then I think it would have been better for us and for Sam himself. Indeed, that was where Bennett saw him against the Kiwis.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

The "Pre NZ" Sam was a once in a generation player. Someone worth the entrance fee alone to see.

The "Post NZ" Sam was an average player who, because of his exceptional talent, could occasionally play very well.

In terms of on the field rugby ability in 2018, Hardaker is streets ahead of Sam.

In terms of "thick as two short planks, been given more chances than most, can he really turn things around"?

That's the bit that worries me.

Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I got the impression when Sam came back from injury he was scared to get tackled and the over time felt like he didn’t like getting tackled at all, especially from a normal kick off or last tackle kick, as there is more of a chance of a bigger impact tackle rather than on the outside of the defence in the run of play
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wintergreen wrote:The "Pre NZ" Sam was a once in a generation player. Someone worth the entrance fee alone to see.

The "Post NZ" Sam was an average player who, because of his exceptional talent, could occasionally play very well.

In terms of on the field rugby ability in 2018, Hardaker is streets ahead of Sam.

In terms of "thick as two short planks, been given more chances than most, can he really turn things around"?

That's the bit that worries me.
yes that's how I saw it. Why does a club like ours need to take such a risk?