Zak Hardaker back on board at Wigan Warriors... and here’s why Adrian Lam is excited

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Zak Hardaker back on board at Wigan Warriors... and here’s why...

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Why do people put 2 and 2 together and get 5. I have read nowhere where anyone has said Hardaker is starting number 1. Why look for negatives without any evidence that this will be. In fact my reading of situation and common sense would say escare has been given the number 1 shirt for the reason of being the number 1 are am I wrong. It is nonsense to say he was given it to keep him sweet. He is an integral part of lams plan that I am sure off because of his attacking flair. I personally want hardaker in team regardless of where he plays if he repeats the form he is capable of he is as good as any player in team. I reserve judgment and hope he proves everyone wrong and I think he has made his first giant step with admitting he has a problem and getting help.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

There's a possibility that we're just getting a little bit ahead of ourselves here.

Lam would be daft not to see both the huge potential and the huge chance for a spectacular failure in Zac.

What is a good coach supposed to do or say? My personal answer is to decide if the lad needs encouragement or "pulling down a peg or two". All this article tells me is that Lammy had decided on the former, unlike, say, Morinho with Pogba.

Time will tell.

If I'm right, the implications for Escaré are pretty much none. I'm sure Lam will have reassured him, as any good coach would.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Morgan has the opportunity to play at fullback all season. All he has to do is play better than Zak. If he can't then Zak will be picked over him. That's how successful sporting teams operate whatever we feel about the rights and wrongs of selection. Zak may get injured, not play well or let himself down off the pitch. If he behaves and plays better than Morgan he'll be our starting fullback. If Zak plays better than Morgan our team will be stronger.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

By Lam saying zaks the goal kicker for next season it looks like he will be starting, in which position I don’t know.
Will he replace sarginson or escare? My choice would be sarginson, think escare and Zak offer a lot more than he does. But if escare is sacrificed for Zak that’s the way it is. Zak is the better player we all know that and I understand people’s gripe with him, you want to play your best team and we are a better team with Zak in it.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote:By Lam saying zaks the goal kicker for next season it looks like he will be starting, in which position I don’t know.
Will he replace sarginson or escare? My choice would be sarginson, think escare and Zak offer a lot more than he does. But if escare is sacrificed for Zak that’s the way it is. Zak is the better player we all know that and I understand people’s gripe with him, you want to play your best team and we are a better team with Zak in it.
Zak is a better player but he doesnt make space he just finishes off through it.
Escare makes space by being short and hard to get hold of. In attack i prefer Escares Style (this is not saying he is better) the only area i say Zak is massively better option is defence.

We have ended up with alot of players competing for spots in a team with reduced interchanges. We cant possible keep them all happy but i was very much looking forward to seeing a season of Escare at fullback. He may not have the game management that ST but he was alot more entertaining to watch.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Have to say I think Escare is at his best when coming off the bench, the number of games he turned last season in doing so can't be discounted, if its a two horse race for the FB with a fully fit Hardaker id choose Hardaker to start every day of the week, for that reason,Escare can and does change the course of the gambits a knack that shouldn't be down played either.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote:Have to say I think Escare is at his best when coming off the bench, the number of games he turned last season in doing so can't be discounted, if its a two horse race for the FB with a fully fit Hardaker id choose Hardaker to start every day of the week, for that reason,Escare can and does change the course of the gambits a knack that shouldn't be down played either.
But there would be no need for Escare on the bench if Hardaker was fully fit, Hardaker being in the squad spoils it for other players that have earned the right to be there, If Hardaker starts in the centres then one of Sargey or Gildarty misses out
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Hardaker is the best fullback in SL. I think that Escare will be deployed differently under Lam.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Hardaker is the best fullback in SL. I think that Escare will be deployed differently under Lam.
Was this proved last year?, thought not
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

medlocke wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Hardaker is the best fullback in SL. I think that Escare will be deployed differently under Lam.
Was this proved last year?, thought not
There's no doubt that prior to his ban Hardaker was easily the best fullback in the league, whether or not he retains that after a season on the sidelines remains to be seen.

Both Hardaker and Escare will be given their chances this season, from there it'll have to be down to performance on the pitch and what's best for the team. Personally I'm quite happy to have this kind of competition for places, should keep everyone playing at their best.