Warriors Civic Reception

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Civic Reception

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Council host civic ceremony for Wigan Warriors following the unprecedented success of 2018.

Members of all three title-winning teams and coaches attend event at Wigan Town Hall

”We take a lot of pride Wiganers doing well.” – Ian Lenagan

Wigan Council today held a civic ceremony for Wigan Warriors to commemorate the unprecedented success of the 2018 season

Last season saw Wigan complete an unprecedented treble, winning the BETFRED Super League, Women’s Super League and Academy grand finals.

To commemorate the success of the Club, Wigan Council welcomed representatives from Wigan Warriors, including coaches and players from all three teams, to Wigan Town Hall.

Speaking at the event, Wigan Chairman Ian Lenagan paid tribute to the Club’s success and the town as a whole. He said, “We take a lot of pride in Wiganers doing well. Anybody who has been associated with Wigan, professionally and born and bread here, can only appreciate Wigan Town Hall, a civic reception, celebrating what is a special achievement. Three trophies; Academy, Women and First Team is not going to be easy to beat, let’s put it that way.”

“I think when you see the councillors, the Mayor, the leaders and the directors of Wigan Council here it comes home to you how well regarded we are and how much civic pride that there is in the success. It’s different, it’s not the same as with the fans, but we are all fans of the Town and of the Club and it’s delightful for us to be received in this way.”

Among the many recognisable faces who attended the civic reception was Wigan’s 2018 Head Coach Shaun Wane, who lead the Cherry and Whites to Grand Final success last October.

Speaking at the event, Wane said, “I’m really pleased and honoured to be here. It’s good to see all of the players again and reminisce. We’ve got a leader in David Molyneux (Wigan Council Cabinet Executive) who is very proud in our town. I’m obviously really proud too of our Women and U19s have done. It’s a big achievement and I can’t see another club doing it again to be honest.”

One player who was integral to the success of Wigan Warriors last season is Liam Marshall, who finished 2018 as top try scorer. On the record-breaking season, Marshall said, “To be recognised by the council is a massive achievement, not just for us but for the Women and U19s as well.

“It not just shows how much of a success the season was but also what affect it has on the local community, which is good on all parts.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... rvY0Pxv.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan