Clubb affirms change in attack

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Clubb affirms change in attack

Post by josie andrews »

Tony Clubb on Wigan’s change in style of play under Adrian Lam.

Prop forward also talks Leadership Group, new signings and the upcoming pre-season fixtures.

Clubb: “The competition for places has massively improved so if you have one bad game then you could be out of the team.”

Tony Clubb has stated Wigan Warriors will be a “better attacking team” in 2019 under new Head Coach Adrian Lam.

After two months of grueling pre-season sessions under Lam, the Warriors are less than three weeks away from their first Super League game of 2019.

And Clubb has promised the fans an “improved” difference from last year in the way Wigan will play, at both ends of the pitch.

He said: “Pre-season is going well. It’s been a lot different than under Waney (Shaun Wane). We haven’t done any hill or beach running, but we’ve probably done more running than we have done in the past.

“The field and conditioning sessions have lasted a lot longer and that has come from the new Conditioning Team. The way Adrian (Lam) wants us to play and defend is a lot different and I think you’ll see a better attacking team come Round One.”

Last week, the prop was chosen by his teammates to be a part of the Leadership Group - a concept designed to make players more comfortable if they have any problems and they can speak to members of the group about them. The other three leaders include Club Captain Sean O’Loughlin, Tommy Leuluai and Liam Farrell.

“It was a bit of a surprise and a shock,” Clubb admitted. “But I’m excited to take the role on. It was chosen by everyone in the team which makes it a little bit special.

“It gives the players a voice if they’ve got any worries or anything they feel they can’t speak to the coaches about. They can come and speak to me and the others in the group.”

The forward commented on Lam and the effect the former Warrior has had on the squad since arriving as Head Coach.

He said: “The good thing about Adrian is that he’s a brilliant communicator. He tells us what he wants and as a Leadership Team we meet every morning as we’re a voice for our players.

“Adrian listens to us. The other day, for example, after we had climbed the mountain in the Lake District, we met up afterwards and decided to give the lads the next day off because they needed a rest and that’s what he did for us.

“The boys are probably sick of it by now with all the meetings we have, but Adrian lets us all know what we have to do to be in the team and to stay in it. Everyone knows their roles so when we go into Round One there’s no excuses.”

Clubb has been immensely impressed with new signings Joe Bullock, Zak Hardaker and Jarrod Sammut and the way youngster Liam Byrne has settled in since progressing into the First Team from the Academy.

On Byrne, he said: “The new lads have settled in really well, particularly young Liam. The boys have been really impressed with him and the way he’s trained. Given that he’s only 19-years-old, he’s a man mountain of a kid! I’m sure he will play games this year.”

He added: “It’s the same with the others too. Zak is pretty impressive. He’s not won everything including the Man of the Steel for nothing. Jarrod and Joe have both impressed too and we’re expecting big things from them.

“The competition for places has massively improved so if you have one bad game then you could be out of the team. It keeps you on your toes, especially for the older players. If you aren’t performing there are younger lads that are training hard and will step in.”

On Friday, a Wigan XIII will kickstart Lam’s leadership of the Warriors in the first pre-season game of 2019 when they face London Skolars in the Capital Challenge. The Cherry and Whites will then travel to Salford Red Devils two days later and end their pre-season campaign with a trip to Barrow Raiders on 26 January. All three games will be live on Wigan TV.

Clubb revealed the eagerness and enjoyment inside the squad with less than a week to go until Wigan are back in action.

“Everyone’s excited. It’s nice to see the back end of pre-season and it will be good to put into practice what we’ve been doing for the past eight weeks. I’m looking forward to seeing what the young kids can do and I assume a lot of them will play in the London game on Friday.

There’s plenty of game time to be played in pre-season. We’ve got a good, healthy squad and lads are coming back, including Joe Burgess and Lockers (Sean O’Loughlin) too who is now fit, and we’re excited for the season to start.

“For me personally I want to carry on being consistent and play as many games as I can. As a team, like any other the aim is to win trophies. There’s three up for grabs and we’re going to be pushing to win all of them.”

To buy your tickets for Friday’s Capital Challenge against London Skolars, click HERE. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capital-ch ... 0914161628

You can get your tickets for next Sunday’s clash against Salford by clicking HERE. https://www.eticketing.co.uk/wiganwarri ... Index/1939

Catch every minute of Super League action at the DW Stadium and watch Lam’s Warriors defend their Super League title with a 2019 season ticket. Click HERE https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018 ... ow-on-sale for more information.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... HyLZ826.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan