Jarrod Sammut

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Jarrod Sammut

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Re: Jarrod Sammut

Post by josie andrews »

Sammut excited for new season

Jarrod Sammut talks about Wigan’s pre-season preparations with less than two weeks to go until Super League XXIV gets underway.

Half-back reflects on Sunday’s pre-season victory at Salford and the positives it brings ahead of the new season.

Sammut: “Sunday was a good opportunity to get out there and work with some new teammates and now I’m looking forward to the new season ahead.”

Wigan half-back Jarrod Sammut says Sunday’s pre-season game with Salford has benefitted his side and more so the younger players who are fighting for a First Team spot in 2019.

The Warriors beat the Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium with a plethora of ‘fringe’ players, including 19-year-old prop Liam Byrne, getting the chance to impress new Head Coach Adrian Lam.

Wigan have now played two pre-season games and Lam will take another look at his young hopefuls as the Cherry and Whites take on Barrow Raiders this Saturday.

And after making his first appearance for the Club, Sammut believes there is plenty to be optimistic about ahead of the new campaign.

He said: “Here at Wigan, we’ve got a great depth of juniors and a lot of them are ready to take that step into the First Team when the opportunity arises.

“It’s a good headache for Lammy (Lam) and the Club to have, but at the same time if anyone has an injury, we know that they will fill in quite comfortably and be ready to go. We won’t have any setbacks as we know they up to speed with everything.

“It’s an exciting time for them as they want to impress Lammy, and Sunday was about everybody putting into practice those little things that we’ve been doing in training and it’s put us in good stead for this week to review.”

The Maltese international looked back on the Salford game and concluded that there is a lot of work still to do, but stated a friendly against a fellow Super League side will only help Wigan going forward, as he feels his team are ready for the new season.

“We’re still working on combinations and taking a lot on board from the style of play that Lammy wants us to do,” Sammut admitted.

“It has done us good as we can reflect on our defence – something which we put a lot of effort into, as well as our structural play in attack. You could see the odd glimpses from what we we’ve been working on. We’ve got a team where individually, across the park, we have outstanding players so if we give them the ball they can work some magic from anything.

“We’re definitely prepared. I don’t think we’re quite there or hitting our heights at the moment, but I think that’s a good thing. You don’t win anything at the start of the season or in friendlies, as it’s about fine-tuning combinations and our style of play. We can’t get too carried away with ourselves, as it’s about putting in that little 1% each day which will make up the bigger picture.”

The Maltese international looked back on the Salford game and concluded that there is a lot of work still to do, but stated a friendly against a fellow Super League side will only help Wigan going forward, as he feels his team are ready for the new season.

“We’re still working on combinations and taking a lot on board from the style of play that Lammy wants us to do,” Sammut admitted.

“It has done us good as we can reflect on our defence – something which we put a lot of effort into, as well as our structural play in attack. You could see the odd glimpses from what we we’ve been working on. We’ve got a team where individually, across the park, we have outstanding players so if we give them the ball they can work some magic from anything.

“We’re definitely prepared. I don’t think we’re quite there or hitting our heights at the moment, but I think that’s a good thing. You don’t win anything at the start of the season or in friendlies, as it’s about fine-tuning combinations and our style of play. We can’t get too carried away with ourselves, as it’s about putting in that little 1% each day which will make up the bigger picture.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... Kt5vIGq.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I was quite happy with his first hit out In a new team, with a new stucture and with changes for the whole team with Lam tweaking things . Always going to take time for a new half to settle even without the above. His bombs early game were spot on. The fact he just played a steady game was also goid to see. We know hes got off the cuff stuff in his locker be good to see it at the right times. Maybe he's matured into a good half who knows when to do things we will find out.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

For me if he can control the game from the middle of the park and be able to make the correct decisions I will be happy. If we think back to when we had Matty Smith, i know his kicking game wasn't the best and he didn't offer much in regards to "flair", but what he did do well was control the game.

He was secure in the middle of the park and allowed players around him to be more creative and produce the off the cuff style of play which can turn a game. If Sammut with his experience can do this then I think we will also see the best out of Williams, give him that freedom to break the defensive line.

When Tommy moved into the halves last season you could instantly see the improvement in our attacks, this again is down to someone with experience and a calm head being able to control our attacking structure and move the team up the field.