ELLERY HANLEY: RUGBY LEAGUE MEANS EVERYTHING

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

ELLERY HANLEY: RUGBY LEAGUE MEANS EVERYTHING

Post by josie andrews »

“IT’S GIVEN ME EVERYTHING IN LIFE AND IT’S GIVEN ME THE FREEDOM OF LIFE."

Ellery Hanley MBE is one of the most prestigious Rugby League players of this generation, he is set to chair a panel of Rugby League greats, which will revamp the voting system to determine the Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel.

Hanley stands alone as the only player to win Man of Steel three times – in 1985, 1987, and 1989 – the award was introduced in 1977.

Hanley said: “When you win anything the first time, it’s spectacular, it surrounds itself with the achievement that you played well for the whole competition.

“I think it’s a tribute to the players you’ve played with and against, because they make you a better player.

“I was stunned by it, I remember winning it the second time and I thought to myself it can’t be happening and then to win a third time, I just thought it was a dream.

“I think it’s fantastic and the panel that’s been drawn up and the list of players that are actually distributing the points for each game and round.

“You couldn’t pick better players they’ve got so much experience, they’re knowledgeable and well placed.”

Hanley attended the official launch of the 2019 Betfred Super League season at Old Trafford, the former Wigan star admitted that Rugby League means everything to him.

“It means everything to me, as a player and as a coach, and it does now.

“It’s given me everything in life and it’s given me the freedom of life. It’s put me in a great position in life to where I am today.”

“I can’t wait for the Super League start, there’s some wonderful players that have come into the competition, the excitement of the first round and everyone has lots of energy and enthusiasm.

“The players are keen to display their skills and the I’m sure the spectators are looking forward to the first round,” admitted Hanley.

A member of the panel will watch each Betfred Super League game in 2019 and award points to the three outstanding players: 3 points for their chosen man of the match, 2 for the runner-up, and 1 for the third-ranked player.

Full details of the panel will be unveiled next month.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54 ... everything
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan