Wigan Warriors coach Adrian Lam looking for a way to fit Morgan Escare into plans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors coach Adrian Lam looking for a way to fit Morgan Escare into plans

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam has labelled Morgan Escare an “important” member of his Wigan squad – but admits he doesn’t yet know where he is going to figure.

The Frenchman was among the senior players to face Barrow in Saturday’s 18-18 draw. It appears he may start the season outside of Lam’s 17-man squad.

Although Escare was second-choice full-back behind Sam Tomkins last season, he still managed to accrue 28 games – many coming off the bench in a ploy which saw the latter move to halfback.

But with Zak Hardaker now on board, that option has been removed, and Lam admits he is not yet sure where – and when – the livewire Escare may figure.

“I know he’s a fans’ favourite but it’s hard to fit him in at the moment because of the signing of Zak, it’s a case of where do you play him?” said Lam. “We’ve just got to find a place. “We know he’s an important member of our team, and he is a game breaker. “But the best way to use him in the current layout of the team is the tricky part, and it may take a couple of weeks to work that out.”

Wigan face St Helens in Thursday’s Super League opener. The two clubs are today staging a joint media event, where Lam is likely to be asked for his view on the NRL’s billboard declaring Sydney Roosters as ‘world champions’ – three weeks before they travel to the Warriors for the World Club Challenge.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9560253
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Warriors coach Adrian Lam looking for a way to fit Morgan Escare into plans

Post by Caboosegg »

I know that sports is results driven but this irks me no end.

Escare has earned his place he should be starting. Hardarker should not just be walking into the starting 17.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
formulamoto

Re: Wigan Warriors coach Adrian Lam looking for a way to fit Morgan Escare into plans

Post by formulamoto »

morgan to start . hardaker substitute
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:47 am I know that sports is results driven but this irks me no end.

Escare has earned his place he should be starting. Hardarker should not just be walking into the starting 17.
They haven’t gone through all the hassle with Hardaker for him to sit on the bench,he is rightly the number one fullback because if he finds anything like his form he is fir me the best fullback in SL.

Escare for me is at his best coming off the bench,how many games did his introduction turn last season,quite a few he isn’t in the same league at fullback as Hardaker,I’m sure he’d admit as much,but he has a very important role to play because for me coming on is a skill,a precious one at that,it’s all well and good having 4 props on the bench you need a spark and Morgan has that in spades.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

To me it's a no brainer.

He is better coming off the bench when defences are tired.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:19 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:47 am I know that sports is results driven but this irks me no end.

They haven’t gone through all the hassle with Hardaker for him to sit on the bench,he is rightly the number one fullback because if he finds anything like his form he is fir me the best fullback in SL.

Escare for me is at his best coming off the bench,how many games did his introduction turn last season,quite a few he isn’t in the same league at fullback as Hardaker,I’m sure he’d admit as much,but he has a very important role to play because for me coming on is a skill,a precious one at that,it’s all well and good having 4 props on the bench you need a spark and Morgan has that in spades.
If he finds anything like he previous form then yes.. but after so long out.

Morgan played 80 minutes vs Barba in all the saints game last year and did fine.

This isn't really about whos better for me just that i feel Morgan has earned a spot, when he got the number 1 shirt youd have thought that was the club acknowledging it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:19 am

If he finds anything like he previous form then yes.. but after so long out.

Morgan played 80 minutes vs Barba in all the saints game last year and did fine.

This isn't really about whos better for me just that i feel Morgan has earned a spot, when he got the number 1 shirt youd have thought that was the club acknowledging it.
It does my head in when players who have earned a place through hard work and determination are replaced by a high profile player who has just come back from a long injury/ban, surely you should be picking players on form and not on past reputations, Waney did it with Isa the other year and he missed out on the Grand Final so the Anus of Wigan could do nothing all game except his usual knock ons and forward passes
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think you have to feel sorry for Morgan. He's barely had a bad game for us since arriving, was in outstanding form in Tomkins absence but eventually lost his place to him. He continued to play well when given the chance only to see Hardaker come in and claim the fullback spot before he's even played a game.

Now Hardaker could quite easily become a key member of the side and even when not as his best he's likely to be solid and dependable. However, this has the potential to be one of those situations where a coach is 'encouraged' to play a high profile signing and give them more leeway than most as a way of getting a return on the clubs investment. Lam had no say in signing Hardaker, he might think he's not his style of player and favour Escare, but does anyone thinks it's even remotely possible that Hardaker could be kept out of the side?

The likelihood is that barring injury or a change of position, regardless of form, Escare will be playing second fiddle again.

Hopefully Hardaker plays so well that keeping Escare out of the side becomes a no-brainer.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Escare to subs bench where he played most of last season.