Lam previews St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews St Helens

Post by josie andrews »

Head Coach previews season opener versus St Helens

Describes fixture as “two of the biggest clubs in the world going up against each other

Discusses personal experience of playing in Wigan vs Saints derbies

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam sees Thursday’s BETFRED Super League opener as one of the greatest derbies in world rugby as Wigan travel to the Totally Wicked Stadium to face rivals St Helens (K.O. 7:45pm).

Describing the fixture between the two clubs Lam said, “On Thursday night it’s two of the biggest clubs in the world up against each other, kicking-off the season.”

Wigan start the season with a number of high profile games, something that Lam explained has impacted season preparations. He said, “We’ve got a pretty tough month of footy coming up with St Helens away, our first home game being Leeds and then the World Club Challenge, so who do you focus on? All you can do is focus on St Helens in round one and focus on ourselves to make sure that we play the way that we want to and give ourselves the opportunity to start the season well.”

The Head Coach is no stranger to Wigan and St Helens derbies, playing in plenty during his playing days. On playing at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Thursday he said, “I never played here, but I remember the old stadium (Knowsley Road). It was a lot closer to the pitch and one of the places you hated going to, just like the Old Central Park in Wigan was for visiting teams.

“I remember having one pound coins thrown at me as a player. Once I realised there was quite a few I picked them up [he joked].”

On the derby more generally he said, “traditionally they are one of our arch rivals of Wigan as a town and a club and that’s good for the game.

Last week Sydney Roosters and the NRL made the news for creating a billboard in Atlanta, USA depicting the Roosters as the World Champions ahead of the World Club Challenge versus Wigan.

Offering his thoughts on the billboard, Lam said, “I love that sort of stuff, the league needs a little bit more of that and the way we responded was cheeky as well and it’s what starts conversations. All of a sudden we’ve got interest from supporters of Rugby League across the world.”

With the derby just days away, many will be interested in Adrian Lam’s first squad selection. He explained that thankfully the side is looking pretty injury free, giving him the majority of his squad to choose from. He said, “We are pretty good across the board at the moment. The only one who is struggling a little bit is Dom Manfredi who has some fluid on the knee. But we will find out tomorrow how he is.”

See the Super League Champions return home on 8th February as Wigan face Leeds Rhinos in their opening home fixture. Tickets can be purchased from the DW Stadium Ticket Office in person, by phone on 01942 311111 or online by clicking HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... i1lAqQb.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan