Rugby league World Cup boss explains why Wigan’s DW Stadium was snubbed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wigtop

Re: No World Cup games?

Post by wigtop »

So, no games for the DW. Presumably the money for the bid from Wigan is from the same "pot" as for the bid from Leigh. Strikes me that the DW has been intentionally overlooked. I wonder how many warriors fans will not go to the likes of Warrington, Saints, Bolton and Leigh as a kind of protest. :evil:
Caboosegg

Re: Rugby league World Cup boss explains why Wigan’s DW Stadium was snubbed

Post by Caboosegg »

Its almost like IL and Wigan are painted as the figure head of the SL splitt.

Mr Woods cant have that can he
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

wigtop wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 pm So, no games for the DW. Presumably the money for the bid from Wigan is from the same "pot" as for the bid from Leigh. Strikes me that the DW has been intentionally overlooked. I wonder how many warriors fans will not go to the likes of Warrington, Saints, Bolton and Leigh as a kind of protest. :evil:
That type of protest though, doesn't help the game positively at all, better to bombard the RFL and, or, W/Cup committee, with emails pointing out the error of the DW omission, both for business and community decisions.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Simply staggering.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m staggered at the stupidity of this move konreal answers as to why there’s not a game at least at the DW,I won’t go to Leigh mainly because it’s a pain in the neck getting out of there so Saints and Wire it it is then.

I get the feeling we as fans aren’t being given the full story and that they tried to put a spin on it by calling the LSV “Wigan and Leigh” technically that’s correct of course but still spin really chapped my taps.

Not good enough that yet again our sport will be staged in barely half full football stadiums utter madness if it weren’t for Wigan I’d have turned my back on the game years ago such is the utter stupidity of the RFL
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Revenge for SL actions recently IMO, pure and simple spite. Exactly the sort of thing that the game needs to rid itself of.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm Revenge for SL actions recently IMO, pure and simple spite. Exactly the sort of thing that the game needs to rid itself of.
So you know what Mike,my missus has just said word for word almost what you have said,I suppose it had to happen at some point as childish as it is
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It's headline news on the BBC website, its almost as if its a PR stunt.

“If you look at the borough of Wigan, we had Leigh and we’re going to Bolton, which is around the corner but I think offers an opportunity with a different audience"

I'm glad I wasn't at the press conference when he came out with that statement.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Home of the SL Champions ignored 😡
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Such a bizarre decision.