Rugby league World Cup boss explains why Wigan’s DW Stadium was snubbed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Rugby league World Cup boss explains why Wigan’s DW Stadium was snubbed

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

More than ever, I hope we are crowned World Club Champions yet again, then the RFL have the embarrassment of letting all potential sponsors know that the record breaking g Wigan Warriors are not hosting any games.

Not that it impacts us; but I am presuming DW will be overlooked for Challenge Cup semi finals
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Some scruffy Saints fan on facebook was telling me it's because we don't own our own stadium and Latics won't allow it
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

It's in the local rag that Bolton will get one England match and a quarter final.
Don't know what will happen if the owner sells the stadium, as he appears itching to do, so I wouldn't get too excited yet!?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

I won't waste any further words than pathetic and vindictive.
Andy Prior

Post by Andy Prior »

The decision is a disgrace and will not be attending any games. Bolton have no fan base and with respect to Leigh an average attendance of around 2,500 should not allow them to represent Wigan. This strikes of Mr Wood and Etherington.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

OK, so "someone" has to miss out - so lets pick one of the best supported clubs, with of the best stadiums, current champs and possible WCC winners? No? How about an RL hotbed and likely best RL Nursery? Does ANY of this resonate with RL top brass?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Could I point out two contradictions and ask a question?

The headline says that RLWC boss explains why Wigan missed out. I read the article. He didn't.

Fans here complain that too many football stadiums used, Wigan should have a match, and complain about Leigh being used. Er . . . isn't Leigh a rugby stadium and the DW is a ....???

My question is, does Wigan RL benefit financially if the DW is used? Or does the money go to the stadium owners?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Cant see what the hell RL are thinking about not having matches at the DW we are the GF winners.Even if Wigan Warriors don't gain anything the town loses out big style Hotels speccies spending money in the town Leigh does not even have a railway station we have 2 links to Yorkshire and London and Edinburgh on main line.
MjM

Post by MjM »

Wigan apparently only bid for a quarter final, not group games.

Given the proximity of Bolton and that stadium's more welcoming owners the presumably better overall package, financial, commercial and operational, was taken for the one game that may otherwise have come to the DW.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Andy Prior wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:48 pm The decision is a disgrace and will not be attending any games. Bolton have no fan base and with respect to Leigh an average attendance of around 2,500 should not allow them to represent Wigan. This strikes of Mr Wood and Etherington.
Bolton have no fan base, is that right?
I know quite a few that travel from Bolton to watch various teams and I'd say there's an interest in the town.
Furthermore I've seen a few matches at the Reebok over the years.
Nowt is going to change by bellyaching, accept it and move on. If you don't want to go to the games then that's your perogative but I would have thought you wouldn't let it spoil your World Cup!?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield