Wigan Warriors: Super League champions receive two-point deduction

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
si_bax

Wigan Warriors: Super League champions receive two-point deduction

Post by si_bax »

Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Wigan Warriors: Super League champions receive two-point deduction

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Forget the breach, but what happened to this being a live system with punishment to handed out in that year / season and not 2 years after the event.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Idiotic from Wigan. Ffs
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Words fail me they really do
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Why the hell are Agent fees included in the cap no wonder we cant progress as a game.

Top players demand top agents who will in turn increase the overall cost of a player.

Well atleast we know why we are cost cutting.

But overlooked for world cup and know this its almost like the rfl is out for us :)

Wasnt 2017 our injury hit year surely we should just plead for extra cap dispensation.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Absolutely blazing at this decision. I’ve sent the following email to the RFL. Not holding my breath for a reply:

I wish to express my profound dismay and anger at the punitive steps that the RFL has taken against my club, Wigan Warriors.

I am at a loss as to how this breach could occur with a live salary cap. Could it have been foreseen? Was the club warned?

It seems such a paltry sum in light of the total annual salary cap spend that to me it smacks of spite. I trust that the chairman’s involvement in the ‘breakaway’ group is not the catalyst for this totally disproportionate penalty and I hope that the RFL, if called upon, can demonstrate that all other clubs are and have been subject to the same scrutiny because, let me tell you, there is widespread belief that certain clubs have escaped such close inspection

With respect
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

Bit more info here, the club claim it was an admin error due to the amount of academy players we used in 2017. reading the tone of it, they are going to appeal

https://wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-01- ... nal-result
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

In the current revenge climate I'd expect an appeal to lead to a 4 point ban.

Also undeclared payments that come to light later can't really be penalized at the time of the payment, because no one knew about them at that point, so that seems fair enough to me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Mike wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:28 pm In the current revenge climate I'd expect an appeal to lead to a 4 point ban.

Also undeclared payments that come to light later can't really be penalized at the time of the payment, because no one knew about them at that point, so that seems fair enough to me.
So, you think an amount of £14,000 equates fairly to a 2 point deduction?
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

jobo

Post by jobo »

Seems a bit mad to me that Wigan haven't the governance in house to spot this type of mistake.

Saying the error is down to a new team running the admin side is a bit of a lame excuse and I doubt any governing body could accept it.