Saints v Wigan: Game thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Saints v Wigan: Game thread

Post by moto748 »

If we give a lot of penalties away against the Roosters they will crucify us.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Reasonably happy with that.

Obviously the result is meaningless at this stage of the season (as last year proved beyond doubt for those that doubted it). The season is a knock out competetition starting in August.

Few points imo:

- Hardaker looks solid and showed glimpses of why Wigan were prepared to give him another chance.
- Farrell looks average (again). He was last season when he came back though so nothing new. The interesting thing here is whether he will fit into Lam's new playstyle
- Lam's playstyle. Well we saw glimpses. The ever so predictable kick on the last was varied. The halves still don't work, but that might change when JS is back. I can't see how a player like Farrell fits into this new ethos as he will do one thing. Run and die with the ball. Greenwood fits the style much better.

"Clock shot"- can someone tell me how this works if the opposition delays/messes around/niggles at the scrum?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Some promising signs but I thought the final score flattered us a bit. I thought that Bullock and Zak did well and should improve as they settle in and clearly the loss of Clubby didn't help. The combination of Powell and Tommy had the same qualities/deficiencies as last season. We need Sammut to offer something extra and that's why he was signed. We looked a bit unbalanced on the right side. Faz is getting lots of stick but don't forget, he's had to switch sides to accommodate Greenwood (just as Ollie has had to accommodate Sarge) so effectively we've swapped Bateman for a compromised Faz. Lots of fans had pointed out this potential problem, can we solve it?. Saints looked a better team than us for most of last season and still do but it's early days and I'm hoping for signs of progression next week.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think Zak took the ball up from the last tackle kick more times then Sam did all of last season
pedro

Post by pedro »

great...
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 am "Clock shot"- can someone tell me how this works if the opposition delays/messes around/niggles at the scrum?
I heard Hicks calling "shot clock off" a few times so I'm assuming if the opposition is delaying then the countdown is paused and the attacking team won't get penalised - don't quote me on that though!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 am
"Clock shot"- can someone tell me how this works if the opposition delays/messes around/niggles at the scrum?
We were saying this at the game, every time it was a Wigan feed, Saints stood in the scrum until there were 3 seconds on the clock.

At one point on TV, Eddie said if Wigan don't feed this soon, they will give a penalty away under their own sticks.

I think it will go on referee discretion, but with Hicks that could go either way.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

The shot clock is open to interpretation by the officials ,I think I've spotted a flaw in it.
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

think we needed a bit of escare flair
formulamoto

poor build up

Post by formulamoto »

15 minutes build up to new season , very poor . did anydody notice the subs photos ? clubb was the photo of escare