Saints v Wigan: Game thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Saints v Wigan: Game thread

Post by Southern Softy »

I can't quite believe how sanguine fans are about last night which was beyond awful.
The only players who can hold their heads up today are Marshall (excellent, despite having no service); Flower (awesome and on the pitch for so long(; Greenwood (tried hard as ever); Bullock (big yards and looking very good) and Hamlin (always went forward with force).
As for the rest, Powell may have tackled all night but was a walking penalty; George had a shocker; Tommy looked off the pace and not really there; Sarginson missed every tackle bar one and stropped his way round the pitch achieving nothing and Hardaker seemed to have no idea about defence. Where was he when the tries went in, particularly in the first half?
As for the rest - distinctly average.
Tactically it was a disaster. even slower than Wane's attack - whoever was nearest kicked on the sixth - move every ball to the right and then Faz cuts back inside and gets clattered - I never thought we would score in the second half. Even our two tries were down to individuals. Ben Flower being brave and smart, using the post as a decoy and Liam Marshall intercepting and proving to be the fastest man on the park.
It made no difference but Hicks was as incompetent as ever and decided after 50 minutes that Saints were going to win so he could wander off miles from the action. Percival rearranges Hardaker's face - no penalty. LMS puts his hand on every Wigan player at the PTB - no penalty.
Please get Morgan into the halves and Tommy to hooker or Morgan at FB and Hardaker on the halves (possibly). Failing that get Ben Barba now that he's available (joke!) And try Greenwood on the right with Faz in his normal position.
Still cross at what I saw and thought I might have calmed down but I haven't. And I don't see how Sammut is going to make a difference either.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Southern Softy wrote:I can't quite believe how sanguine fans are about last night which was beyond awful.
The only players who can hold their heads up today are Marshall (excellent, despite having no service); Flower (awesome and on the pitch for so long(; Greenwood (tried hard as ever); Bullock (big yards and looking very good) and Hamlin (always went forward with force).
As for the rest, Powell may have tackled all night but was a walking penalty; George had a shocker; Tommy looked off the pace and not really there; Sarginson missed every tackle bar one and stropped his way round the pitch achieving nothing and Hardaker seemed to have no idea about defence. Where was he when the tries went in, particularly in the first half?
As for the rest - distinctly average.
Tactically it was a disaster. even slower than Wane's attack - whoever was nearest kicked on the sixth - move every ball to the right and then Faz cuts back inside and gets clattered - I never thought we would score in the second half. Even our two tries were down to individuals. Ben Flower being brave and smart, using the post as a decoy and Liam Marshall intercepting and proving to be the fastest man on the park.
It made no difference but Hicks was as incompetent as ever and decided after 50 minutes that Saints were going to win so he could wander off miles from the action. Percival rearranges Hardaker's face - no penalty. LMS puts his hand on every Wigan player at the PTB - no penalty.
Please get Morgan into the halves and Tommy to hooker or Morgan at FB and Hardaker on the halves (possibly). Failing that get Ben Barba now that he's available (joke!) And try Greenwood on the right with Faz in his normal position.
Still cross at what I saw and thought I might have calmed down but I haven't. And I don't see how Sammut is going to make a difference either.
First game of season. You don't win anything by being good in the first month. Nor do you lose anything by being bad. IMO it's not yet time for any particular concern. Let's see where they are in 1 or 2 months.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Spot-on Mike
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

As I said when lam got the job ,he's got a hell of a job to turn round our attack .
They're wanes players playing wanes way and in tough games they will always revert to type,the aimless lazy inside ball was well in evidence last night.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I know we are unhappy but for an alt perspective i work with 4 fans of other teams. They have all said that it was a brilliant game for a neutral and none have said Wigan where appauling.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

on my television , the programme started at 7-30 and the kick off was 7-45 so by my reckoning thats a 15 minute build up
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Yes it was a lousy performance and by god they’re going to seriously raise their on the 17th of feb,but it was first game back,not happy but time must be given if it’s still like that come round 13 or so then yes there are issues but till then see how it goes.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Powell is what he is, a very average player without, as has been posted, any defining qualities. His inadequacies become very apparent when compared to Roby, Clarke, McShane and the rest. I don't know the definition of a 'tackle'in the stats - yes he's involved a lot but, again has been pointed out, as second or third man in. I've banged on about Powell for 3 years now (please don't throw 2016 back!) as simply not being good enough - so the new 3 year contract, the vice-captaincy of the Knights (even being picked for the squad) completely baffles me. I half expected him to be part of our leadership group! He lacks pace, is no attacking threat, has a slow, inaccurate pass and lacks creativity/flair. Without doubt, it seems, a likeable guy, good club-man, hard-working, lots of community work - but, imo, just not good enough to be a half or hooker for a top SL team.
pedro

Post by pedro »

^^ this
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

In desperate need of 2 half backs