Marshall: Let’s make DW a fortress

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Marshall: Let’s make DW a fortress

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Marshall on the importance of home games in 2019.

Winger looks ahead to Leeds’ visit to the DW Stadium on Friday night.

Marshall: “We’re obviously disappointed after the opening result and we need to put things right this week.”

Wigan winger Liam Marshall wants his side to continue their impressive home form which guided the Warriors to Grand Final success in 2018.

The Cherry and Whites won 15 of their 16 games at the DW Stadium last year and Marshall is hoping his team can start as they mean to go on.

Wigan face Leeds Rhinos on Friday night in the second round of the BETFRED Super League.

Marshall said: “It’s a tough place for teams to come and last year we had a good record at home. We’re hoping to do the same this year and if we can win all our home games it will put us in good stead.

“We’ll implement some new things this week that we’ve spoke about and I think we’ll be a different side on Friday night.”

The 22-year-old reflected on last Thursday’s opening defeat to St Helens, as he admitted he would rather the team succeed than himself receiving credit for the 80-metre try he scored.

“We’re obviously disappointed after the opening result and we need to put things right this week,” he said. “We will take each week as it comes and if we get a good performance on Friday, it will set us in good stead for the World Club Challenge.

“It’s always good to score tries and its part of my job as a winger, but I would give up all the individual plaudits to get the win as a team. We started slowly in the second half and it’s something we need to improve on for Friday.”

He also acknowledged the high competition in the wing areas, as Dom Manfredi and Joe Burgess are expected to return to action in the coming weeks, but Marshall stated his intention to keep a spot in the starting 13.

“You’ve always got to be prepared and it was good to get a game under my belt. There’s healthy competition in the wing spots; there’s four of us and two places. It keeps you on your game, makes you play to the best of your ability every week and training well too.

“I’ve got to keep doing what I’m doing and it’s up to Lammy (Lam) to make the call. I try and take every week as it comes and play as well as I can consistently. Hopefully, I can play well this week and put my hand up again for the week after.”

Buy your tickets for Friday night’s game by clicking HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... C7gYrLh.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan