Clubb looking for another bite at the WCC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Clubb looking for another bite at the WCC

Post by josie andrews »

Tony Clubb tells the story of his teeth injury he picked up from the round one derby with St Helens.

Prop looks back on Friday’s win against Leeds and shares his excitement for next Sunday’s World Club Challenge against Sydney Roosters.

Clubb: “To play on Friday, I had to have a metal plate put behind my teeth and I’ll have my new teeth made on Monday.”

Whilst Wigan Warriors recorded their first win of the 2019 BETFRED Super League season on Friday, Tony Clubb played with a mental plate behind his two front teeth.

Clubb suffered a nasty injury in the opening round defeat to St Helens when he clashed heads with Jonny Lomax.

As a result, Clubb had his two front teeth badly damaged, but it didn’t affect him featuring in Wigan’s 34-16 victory over Leeds Rhinos.

Clubb said: “I remember seeing Jonny Lomax in front of me and the next minute I was in the changing room. I fractured one of my front teeth and snapped the other.

“To play on Friday, I had to have a metal plate put behind my teeth and I’ll have my new teeth made on Monday. It’s part and parcel of rugby league and one of those things; we clashed heads – he split his head and I split my teeth. It was an accident and luckily, we’re both alright and getting on with it.”

The prop was delighted with his side’s ability to respond the opening loss to Saints, as he states the importance of reacting last year’s home form.

He said: “This year we’ve got 16 home games and 12 away. Last year, we only lost one game at the DW, so we want to do something like that again and we’ve got off to the perfect start. We love playing on home soil and we were happy to bounce back from round one.”

Clubb revealed there were no fresh injury concerns for next Sunday’s World Club Challenge with Sydney Roosters and admitted he can’t wait to play in front of a bumper home crowd at the DW Stadium.

“We’ve got an exciting week coming up. The most important thing is that everyone is fit and healthy which is good. It’s a chance to do what we did in 2017. It’s a special feeling, especially to do it at the DW.

“There’re not many times you get to lift a trophy in front of your home fans. I think a lot of people are righting us off and it was like that when we played Cronulla. We’re fired up and rearing to go!”

Not got your ticket for the biggest game in World Club Rugby League yet? Click HERE or call 01942 311111

Fancy meeting players from both teams and getting your picture with the Super League, Telstra Premiership and World Club Challenge trophies? Click HERE for more information on our World Club Challenge VIP Event on Thursday 14th February.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... xz2i1O.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan