Lam previews Roosters

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews Roosters

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Head Coach looks ahead to Sunday’s World Club Challenge clash with Sydney Roosters

Discusses facing his son Lachlan, who has been named in the travelling squad

Urges Wigan fans to pack the DW Stadium on Sunday

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam believes his side are well-poised to face Sydney Roosters this Sunday in the World Club Challenge (K.O. 7pm)

The Cherry and Whites picked up their first points of the season against Leeds Rhinos last Friday and the 48 year-old believes the win came at the right time. “We are in a good spot now, we’ve got a long week to prepare and we’re excited about it.

“We are just going to focus on ourselves really. We played better last week but we’ve still got plenty to improve.”

Last week it was confirmed that Adrian Lam’s son Lachlan would be in the Roosters squad travelling to England for the World Club Challenge (Read here). The Wigan head Coach joked that he hadn’t been squeezing his son for information ahead of the game. “No, I haven’t even asked him to be fair, I don’t want to put him under that pressure.”

And while the Wigan Head Coach is happy for the 20 year-old half-back to be included in the Roosters side, he isn’t expecting to face him for much of the fixture. He explained, “We will be prepared with (Luke) Keary playing. If he (Lachlan) will be involved it’ll probably be off the bench.”

Lam also went on to describe how the father and son narratives run even deeper ahead of the World Club Challenge.

It’ll be amazing for him because he played his first game of rugby league for St Pats, so it’s amazing that fate should bring us back together here.

“I believe it was under 6 or 7s. I remember him just sitting at the back of the field actually, not doing anything, thinking he doesn’t want to play.”

Adrian Lam is, of course, no stranger of the Roosters, having spent time there as a coach. With his knowledge of the current side, he doesn’t believe they will throw up too many surprises for him on Sunday, although it won’t make them any easier to take on.

“I’ve been watching the for ten years. They’ve been great for a long time, regardless of whether you know them or not, it’s the way they commit and execute things which is the key with them.”

Lam was also clear on just how talented the Sydney side is. He said, “They are brilliant. They’ve got a great coach, they’ve got some great leaders in the team and a game plan that changes every week. It’ll be a tough game.”

Despite finding plenty of success during his playing days, the ex-Wigan half-back described how much he would have liked to feature in a World Club Challenge.

“I would have loved to. I did just about everything else though. It’s almost ironic that my son might well be involved in it.”

But for the Club, for Wigan it’s a massive game. We’re aiming for that fifth star. If we win it’s five for us, If the Roosters win it’s four for them so I know Wigan hold the record at the moment, which would make it level with the Roosters if they won.”

With the game being held at the DW Stadium, Lam described just how important the home support will be to the Warriors.

“I’m excited about them filling the stadium and showing the world that Super League is alive and that Rugby League is still a massive sport here. I think they can show that by turning out, supporting the game and supporting Wigan.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... GuhqArI.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan