Lam vs Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam vs Lam

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam admits he was emotional when his son told him he could face his dad in Sunday’s World Club Challenge.

Lachlan Lam has been included in the 19-man Sydney Roosters squad to take on Wigan at the DW Stadium.

Lam: “He rang me and said he’d been invited to go and I cried to be honest with you.”

Wigan Head Coach Adrian Lam has admitted he burst into tears when 20-year-old son Lachlan called him to break the news he was in Sydney Roosters’ World Club Challenge squad.

Lam jnr and the tricolours touched down in Paris on Monday to kick off their preparation for the clash with Lam’s Warriors at a packed DW Stadium on Sunday night.

Lachlan has already made two Test appearances for Papua New Guinea but is yet to make his first grade debut - something he is very much in line to do this weekend.

“He rang me and said he’d been invited to go and I cried to be honest with you,” said Lam.

“I know he’s worked really hard in this off-season for them and I’m just pleased they’ve seen that in him and he’s got an opportunity to be a part of the squad and come.

“Whether he plays or not, I’m not sure. I think that’s irrelevant at this point. I’m just happy he’s been identified as being one of their better trainers in pre-season and now he’s in their eyes.

“I’m just pleased that he’s coming. I miss him. I get to see him as well.”

At one point, there was talk of father and son heading to Wigan in a package deal.

“They offered him a contract, Wigan did,” Adrian said. “And everyone discussed it at the time. There was just an opportunity there (at the Roosters). He’s played all his juniors at the Clovelly Crocs, a Roosters junior club, and come through 16s, 18s and 20s there.

“So he’s worked hard to be where he is. He’s a local junior, played with Victor Radley so there’s a combination there growing. It would have been wrong to take him away. He’s got that opportunity now.”

A foot injury to first-choice stand-off Luke Keary is Lam’s best hope of getting a start on Sunday night. Meanwhile, the Warriors continue to sweat on centre Dan Sarginson (ankle).

Wigan Warriors take on the Sydney Roosters in BETFRED World Club Challenge as the world’s two best rugby league sides go head-to-head at the DW Stadium on Sunday February 17th, kick-off 7pm. Secure your seat today by calling the DW Stadium ticket office on 01942 311111 or visiting https://wiganwarriors.com/tickets. htt ... 70QLMpj.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan