Wigan vs roosters

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan vs roosters

Post by Barney841 »

I agree with the George comments, he did look a threat at times but he’s got to work on his decision making it seems all over the place at times.
Also isa was good option under wane for his work ethic and defence but if Lam wants a different attacking style he shouldn’t really get a look in the team as he offers nothing in attack. We didn’t look as good going forward when Farrell went off , I know to injury, and isa cane on
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

doc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm We got torn apart on our right edge. It's no coincidence that we have moved Gilly and Farrell from left to right to accommodate Greenwood and Sarge. While their attack is passable they are not used to defending that side of the field and need to alter their favoured leading shoulder in the tackle.

Sadly it would appear that we have to make a decision on whether Gilly or Sarge plays on the left with Hankinson, who is a natural right centre, playing on the other side. For me Sarge was our MOM tonight so it would have to be Gilly who misses out.

John Winder said that the shoulder injury that Farrell picked up wasn't looking good but they would have to wait for his scan results so less of a selection problem wrt 2nd row. I guess Isa will take the right second row spot until Faz is fit despite having a shocker tonight.

Navarette has reverted to his 2017 form so we should give Tautai a chance next week.
Faz and Gilly are both international players and they should be able to sort it out. The fist time Morris beat Gilly should have been his last, it was for him to rectify the problem and he didn't. Let's hope he learns from his experience.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

old hooker wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:29 am Once again the Aussies proved they are so far ahead of us.Sarginson, Lockers and Greenwood played well, Davies and Gildart had shockers.Our front row were by battered by their props.Hardaker less than average.Williams had the chance to show if he is as good as some people think but he did nothing to say hes better than average.Take away his short kicking game and he offers very little.
The Roosters forwards dominated every pack in the NRL last season, in fact their success was made by punching holes in the opposition six. I didn't witness that last night but I did see some poor defending on our right edge.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:50 am
old hooker wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:29 am Once again the Aussies proved they are so far ahead of us.Sarginson, Lockers and Greenwood played well, Davies and Gildart had shockers.Our front row were by battered by their props.Hardaker less than average.Williams had the chance to show if he is as good as some people think but he did nothing to say hes better than average.Take away his short kicking game and he offers very little.
Pretty much agree with that, slightly more favourable to Williams though.

The reality is that unless the RFL increase the salary cap, then results like this are inevitable (or at least highly likely and to be expected).
I am not sure what difference an increase in the salary cap would make, where do we find players of better quality? What would happen, in my view, is that the players we have got would be paid a bigger salary. Yes we may be able to retain the likes of Sutton and Batty but I still don't think that we would be able to entice the top Antipodeans.

The Australian's are not just athletes but they are skilful. Their players are expected to have good ball handling skills and as a consequence they spend time trying to create a team full of halfbacks. Conversely, we spend all our time trying to bulk players up and create 13 prop forwards.
shaunedwardsfanclub

pedro wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:53 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 am
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:50 am

Pretty much agree with that, slightly more favourable to Williams though.

The reality is that unless the RFL increase the salary cap, then results like this are inevitable (or at least highly likely and to be expected).
I thought Williams went well last night. He was a threat every time he got the ball.
no he wasnt, he was terrible, passing for passing sake, wrong decisions AGAIN. His defence was very good but im looking for more from a pivot.
The difference is the Roosters had three quality pivots yet we are expecting one player to do that job for us. I guarantee that if Williams had Cronk and Friend playing along side him he would look like a class act.
jobo

Post by jobo »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:19 pm

I thought Williams went well last night. He was a threat every time he got the ball.
no he wasnt, he was terrible, passing for passing sake, wrong decisions AGAIN. His defence was very good but im looking for more from a pivot.
The difference is the Roosters had three quality pivots yet we are expecting one player to do that job for us. I guarantee that if Williams had Cronk and Friend playing along side him he would look like a class act.
Couldn't agree more. It's even more apparent now that we've lost Sam.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:19 pm

If he is a true class act he would look good with Gavin Clinch & Mark Smith playing next to him, ps how can you guarantee something that is unguaranteeable
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Jesus wept if I had Cronk playing next to me my Lardy arse would be SL standard,excuses all the time where Williams is concerned
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thought that after the Roosters went 10 up after 10 minutes they were playing well within their ability.
Our lads tried hard but they had a difficult time against a solid Sydney outfit.
Our old problems happened again that we've discussed on here endlessly and we now have to make changes to get the improvements needed.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

Slightly going off at a tangent here, but it's worth noting that the attendance beat that of two years ago, and that bucks the trend for big occasions lately.

As somebody who travels from Oldham to the games, I thought the unusual kick off time on a Sunday was a real bonus with little traffic on the roads and no trouble parking.

In fact it was paradise compared to the same journey on a Thursday or Friday.

I propose all games to kick off at 7pm on Sundays - any seconders?