morgan escare

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: morgan escare

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:22 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 am I’d like to see Zak at right centre with Gildart/sarge on the left with Morgan at FB. It won’t happen though. If we go off form Gildart would be dropped to accommodate that but still we are 3 games in a lot will happen
One bad game doesn't mean Gildart should be dropped.
Gildart hasn’t looked his assured self all season I wonder if the internationals have had an impact,he’s normally so reliable
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:22 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 am I’d like to see Zak at right centre with Gildart/sarge on the left with Morgan at FB. It won’t happen though. If we go off form Gildart would be dropped to accommodate that but still we are 3 games in a lot will happen
One bad game doesn't mean Gildart should be dropped.
Gildart hasn’t looked his assured self all season I wonder if the internationals have had an impact,he’s normally so reliable
I am not buying it that the Internationals have had an impact. It is clearly the result of playing on his natural side. Only those who have played the game as a Wing / Centre or 6/7 will understand the difference it makes.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

where does it come from that morgans defense is weak ? everytime i watch him ,, he seems pretty sound
Mary from Wigan

Post by Mary from Wigan »

medlocke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:42 am Turn him into a scooting Hooker
[/quote
I agree, think he would be good at dummy half.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

formulamoto wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm where does it come from that morgans defense is weak ? everytime i watch him ,, he seems pretty sound
Since fullbacks rarely defend in the defensive line you will be referring to his 1 on 1 defence which is a lot different to defending in the line for consecutive tackles against forwards.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

not really , just his excellent defending in general
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with Nathan, there's a big difference in the amount of talking made by a fullback and a hooker. Morgan can make some important last ditch tackles, as he did in the Grand Final, but can he do 40 plus with little respite in between each? I do appreciate that people feel that Morgan is getting a raw deal. He's a good fullback but, in my opinion, not as good as Zak, and he's decent at half back but not top notch. He does have good pace off the mark and is an elusive runner but his handling isn't as good as it should be for a top class half back. The reduced interchanges don't help Morgan's cause either because there's more risk in having an impact layer on the bench. If Lammy plays Jarrod rather than Morgan this weekend we'll all know what his thinking is too. I'm hoping that Jarrod is the better half back than Morgan because if he isn't we're in trouble. I feel that Morgan is an excellent squad player and we're lucky to have him but he's our second best fullback and our second, third or fourth best halfback.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good post that hits the nail on the head - I just hope we can find a way to keep Morgan as we will need someone with his skills at some point. He has played a couple of times on the wing and looked good but its a position where we are strong.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:21 pm Good post that hits the nail on the head - I just hope we can find a way to keep Morgan as we will need someone with his skills at some point. He has played a couple of times on the wing and looked good but its a position where we are strong.
Might happen. You say we are well stocked with wingers, but right now Manfredi and Burgess are injured, so if Davies or Marshall pick up a knock...

Mind you we have Mullen, who has looked very assured in his limited opportunities.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

formulamoto wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm where does it come from that morgans defense is weak ? everytime i watch him ,, he seems pretty sound
Last season he made 136 tackles and missed 37! Compared to anyone else in the squad that is high.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards