Wigan Warriors confirm appeal against points deduction - but when will a decision be made?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Wigan Warriors confirm appeal against points deduction - but when will a decision be made?

Post by doc »

I know the new winger Hull played probably counts as £0 on the cap as he is ex RU but surely all Gareth Ellis annual salary, which i assume is not insignificant being Rugby General Manager or whatever he is, should now count towards the cap given that he has played for them. Also, why didn't they play a u19s player if they were short of bodies?
Lazy J

Re: Wigan Warriors confirm appeal against points deduction - but when will a decision be made?

Post by Lazy J »

doc wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 pm I know the new winger Hull played probably counts as £0 on the cap as he is ex RU but surely all Gareth Ellis annual salary, which i assume is not insignificant being Rugby General Manager or whatever he is, should now count towards the cap given that he has played for them. Also, why didn't they play a u19s player if they were short of bodies?
We’ll find out in 2021
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:I didn’t realise that Dave about Union and how they deal with any transgressions,to me that’s perfectly fair fine the club,hard the message with soon get across to all concerned that it’s going to cost the club money rather than points,which in this case is a farce being so long ago the error took place
It was Phil Wilkinson who pointed that out as an RU club (can’t remember which one) has just been fined about £6k for going approx £12k over the cap for a very similar offence to Wigan’s. It wasn’t agents fees but it was another accounting type error.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

doc wrote:I know the new winger Hull played probably counts as £0 on the cap as he is ex RU but surely all Gareth Ellis annual salary, which i assume is not insignificant being Rugby General Manager or whatever he is, should now count towards the cap given that he has played for them. Also, why didn't they play a u19s player if they were short of bodies?
It should count on the cap because it’s in the rules if you do something like employ a coach and then he ends up playing as well his wages count on the cap. Can’t see why Ellis position is any different. If it were then every club would have a Rugby General Manager running around on the pitch.