Sunday is a chance to respond - Sammut

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sunday is a chance to respond - Sammut

Post by josie andrews »

Jarrod Sammut looks ahead to Wigan’s Betfred Super League Round 3 fixture against Hull FC.

Maltese half-back says Sunday’s game is a chance to respond following last week’s World Club Challenge disappointment.

Sammut talks about working towards his first Super League shot with the Warriors, saying “I need to make sure the coaching staff are seeing that I’m doing things right and from there it’s a waiting game.”

Jarrod Sammut says Sunday’s Betfred Super League meeting with Hull FC is an ‘opportunity for everyone to put things right’ after last week’s Betfred World Club Challenge defeat.

Wigan welcome the Black and Whites to the DW Stadium with a loss and a win so far in the league, compared to Lee Radford’s side who have not won a Super League game since June last year.

Sammut is yet to make a Super League appearance in the Cherry and White jersey, but as revealed in his press conference, Head Coach Adrian Lam is looking to give the Maltese international a ‘chance over the next couple of weeks’.

From what he has witnessed in training, 32-year-old Sammut is confident the Warriors can respond at the weekend and admits he needs to take his chance when it comes.

Speaking on Wednesday, Sammut said: “We’ve had a really good team session where everything has come off well. It’s another solid session under our belt, but we’ve still got a few more before Sunday to solidify our preparations.

“We’re looking positive for this week and it’s an opportunity for everyone to put things right. Everyone is chopping at the bit to get back out there.

I’m looking forward to when I get my opportunity to play. At the same time, I’m not too certain when that is, but all I can do is perform well in training and train hard in the gym.

“I need to make sure the coaching staff are seeing that I’m doing things right and from there it’s a waiting game. At the same time, when the opportunity comes, I need to be ready.”

The half-back believes the Betfred World Club Challenge beating to Syndey Roosters won’t disrupt Wigan’s season, as he says the team can learn from it and use it to their advantage in the coming months.

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... 1582-1.jpg

“It was a big occasion and we would have loved to get a different result, but we’ve put it to one side now. It doesn’t derail us or effect our season…it puts more focus on the Super League.

“We’ve took a lot of positives from it and from Round 1 to last week, we’ve definitely come on and things have improved.

“We need to hit our targets and hold ourselves accountable. Lammy talks about it being a team sport, but there is also a ‘me’ and you always need that ‘me’ in that team environment to be pulling your weight for the rest of the team to bounce off it.”

Grab your tickets for Sunday’s fixture online HERE, call 01942 311111 or visit the DW Stadium ticket office in person.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... jTfkLP0.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Sunday is a chance to respond - Sammut

Post by josie andrews »

Massive game for us - Lam

Adrian Lam looks ahead to Sunday’s home tie vs Hull FC.

“We are wary of this Hull side’s capabilities” - Lam.

Wigan face Hull FC in the Betfred Super League at the DW Stadium on Sunday 24th Feb, (K.O. 3pm).

Wigan Head Coach Adrian Lam is looking for a reaction from his side, following their defeat to the Sydney Roosters, when they take on Hull FC this Sunday at the DW Stadium (K.O 3pm).

Following the heightened emotions, atmosphere and ultimate disappointment from losing the World Club Challenge, Lam described how his first job this week was getting his players prepared to take on Hull FC.

“I said to them that we’ve got a lot of work to do, but it was also a positive looking back. Of course we could have done a few things differently, but what we didn’t leave in the tank was our desire and our attack.

“I thought we had a good crack with the ball and if we can execute it a little better we certainly could have won that game. Moving forward, this is a massive game for us. Hull are coming here desperate to get their first win in a long time and we don’t want it to be at our fortress.”

On this weekend’s opponents, Lam made it clear that his side is well aware of the quality Hull FC have.

“It wasn’t long ago that those players were successful for them. We are wary of the capabilities of that Hull side and if you disrespect them or don’t take them for what they’re worth I’m sure they will bite you.”

Earlier this week it was announced that Liam Farrell will miss up to four months following a pectoral tear he picked up during the World Club Challenge. With the experienced second-row missing, the Warriors Head Coach explained that there are plenty of names in the squad in contention to take his spot.

“He will be a massive loss to us but when one door closes another one opens. Isa will probably get a crack there and then next in line there is Liam Paisley. We could move Gabe Hamlin to back row and there are a few of the boys currently on loan, and there is also Jack Wells when he is fit and Ollie Partington.

“We’ve got 34-35 players who are great players and we’ve got to make good use of them.”

Grab your tickets for Sunday’s fixture online HERE, call 01942 311111 or visit the DW Stadium ticket office in person.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... TDWKthz.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Sunday is a chance to respond - Sammut

Post by Wiganer Ted »

That means Sammut is in the 17. I hope he starts.

Problem is Escare, we need his pace and unpredictability but where do we play him?
I'd have him off the bench and when we spell Lockers but George at 13 with Morgan in the halves.
Hull are slow and ponderous up the middle and a fast man like Escare can open them up easily.
I do hope he gets a game.