Poor spine

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Poor spine

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But Hardaker is a finisher - we knew this before he started, his best season coincided with Gales best season for a reason. Zak is a great support player and has the ability to beat 1-2 players but he isn't creative so he isnt going to put a spectacular pass in or kick like tomkins wsa capable of they are not the same style player.

The issues Wigan have are the same issues that weve had for a while now, Williams needs a decent 7 to get the best out of him, Sammut even if he plays at his best is still not what we needed which is a organising 7.
Added to that is the Powell problem and people can moan he's a scapegoat etc etc but hes just so bang average its unbelievable, he offers nothing.

Id be tempted to try Escare at 9 to add a little zip around the ruck. A good 9 can carry a team a poor 9 can inhibit a good team its like having shane millard back!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

Maybe this best needs to be in the rumours thread but I've heard Leeds are wanting to get rid of Matt Parcell, we could do a lot worse than trying to sign him. For me the problem is I think Leuluai has gone on a season too long and Powell for me is not a hooker. If you look at the likes of Warrington, Saints and Leeds they've all got a running hooker which is something Powell very rarely if ever does. I will give Powell credit though he does get through a lot of tackling.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

On Escare, use him before we lose him.

He 100 percent deserve a chance after this week preformance.

Williams wasnt to bad yesterday, one of our better players however

I dont seem Williams/TL//powell/ Hardaker working.

Can anyone inform me where everyone was playing yesterday

We had sammut, williams,powell,TL all on at same time and i could make heads or tails of it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:13 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm I don't feel Hardaker did much for himself today, sat and watched the ball roll so many times leaving it for our wingers to collect while they had runners on them.
He certainly hasn't shown signs of being any great attacking resource so far.
You are only as good as those guys inside you and ours are crap.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:21 am On Escare, use him before we lose him.

This. I said yesterday we should be using Escare not only because he can add something different to the team but also because he deserves it after his performances last season. But then I was shot down with people saying "where would he play?" he'll play somewhere we just need to find a place for him in the team because he can't do any worse than what we witnessed yesterday. If he does not start getting game time he will be gone at the end of the season mark my words. And that would be a shame because he's one of the few players who gets fans excited when he gets the ball in his hands.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 am
moto748 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:13 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm I don't feel Hardaker did much for himself today, sat and watched the ball roll so many times leaving it for our wingers to collect while they had runners on them.
He certainly hasn't shown signs of being any great attacking resource so far.
You are only as good as those guys inside you and ours are crap.
Im sorry hardaker watching a ball roll to a stand still and doing nothing while a hull player runs for it and letting sneyd kicks just bounce out when he could of collected was not because of guys inside him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:07 am But Hardaker is a finisher - we knew this before he started, his best season coincided with Gales best season for a reason. Zak is a great support player and has the ability to beat 1-2 players but he isn't creative so he isnt going to put a spectacular pass in or kick like tomkins wsa capable of they are not the same style player.

The issues Wigan have are the same issues that weve had for a while now, Williams needs a decent 7 to get the best out of him, Sammut even if he plays at his best is still not what we needed which is a organising 7.
Added to that is the Powell problem and people can moan he's a scapegoat etc etc but hes just so bang average its unbelievable, he offers nothing.

Id be tempted to try Escare at 9 to add a little zip around the ruck. A good 9 can carry a team a poor 9 can inhibit a good team its like having shane millard back!
Williams is the marquee player,he is paiid most money,he should be the one getting the best out of his team mates not the other way about.He is simply not able to do this and is vastly overrated.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Yesterday we were really low on pack players, first Farrell was injured then Greenwood left the field. We were also missing Navarette and Clubb, who I admit haven't been playing well, but add size.

Instead we had Isa and Hamlin at 2nd row and then unbelievably Sam Powell at Loose forward.

Wane got loads of stick for sticking with Powell, but I can't remember him paying at loose.

We need to get back to playing players in their own position. Tommy at hooker where he played for NZ and Gildart back to left centre. I actually though Sammutt looked ok when he came on.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

old hooker wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:07 am But Hardaker is a finisher - we knew this before he started, his best season coincided with Gales best season for a reason. Zak is a great support player and has the ability to beat 1-2 players but he isn't creative so he isnt going to put a spectacular pass in or kick like tomkins wsa capable of they are not the same style player.

Williams is the marquee player,he is paiid most money,he should be the one getting the best out of his team mates not the other way about.He is simply not able to do this and is vastly overrated.
Its not that simple though is it, Williams is an X Factor player hes the one who comes up with the miracle play, hes not someone who guides the team around the park. We are now in a worse position than when Matty Smith was here but that its not me in anyway saying Matty Smith should have been kept but Wigans insistence on buying what is available rather than what is needed has meant weve replace and avg organising half with an avg off the cuff half.

You can just say williams is paid a lot therefore should be the best player, what you should do if you are going to make a player a marquee is make sure your team compliments his skill set to get the best out of him. Dennis Moran was a poacher/Try scorer he finished top of the try scoring charts 2 years in a row for a also ran team, wigan tried to make him into adrian lam and he was awful!

Pat richards when he first was brought over was made into a centre despite the fact his strength was being a winger and he was awful until he was moved

Amos Roberts was a bang average winger but turned into a sensational full back when give the scope that benefited his game

You cant judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, Williams is a fantastic prospect get him a decent 7 who can take the load of him in terms of direction and you'd see a completely different player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

For me Williams is. I longer a “prospect” he’s a veteran of nearly 150 SL games if he hasn’t got it by now then for me he’s pretty much the finished article.

Maybe he hasn’t got the right partner but he should be able to overcome that now and make do with what he has I think though what we see with him is as good as it gets with him,and while I aim the comment “excuses” at no one on this board it seems to me that’s what happens when the subject gets round to him.

I think he needs a move if he is to ever push through that ceiling it looks though a move to the NRL is already sorted for him if the rumours are to be believed