Poor spine

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
01tentpeg

Re: Poor spine

Post by 01tentpeg »

seem to think that this season could be a replica of what leeds did last season just got that feeling , don't know what other fans think .
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 am
moto748 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:13 pm

He certainly hasn't shown signs of being any great attacking resource so far.
You are only as good as those guys inside you and ours are crap.
Im sorry hardaker watching a ball roll to a stand still and doing nothing while a hull player runs for it and letting sneyd kicks just bounce out when he could of collected was not because of guys inside him.
Hardaker let the ball roll out once on all the other occasions it was Davies. Sammut was remonstrating with Davies that he should attack the ball and keep it in play. By the way I was commenting on the comment that he hasn’t been an attacking source so far. If you watched him at Cas then you will realise what I mean about the guys inside him giving him good service.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:58 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 am

You are only as good as those guys inside you and ours are crap.
Im sorry hardaker watching a ball roll to a stand still and doing nothing while a hull player runs for it and letting sneyd kicks just bounce out when he could of collected was not because of guys inside him.
Hardaker let the ball roll out once on all the other occasions it was Davies. Sammut was remonstrating with Davies that he should attack the ball and keep it in play. By the way I was commenting on the comment that he hasn’t been an attacking source so far. If you watched him at Cas then you will realise what I mean about the guys inside him giving him good service.
Absolutely correct sefc

Was going to post the same as I was critical of Davies letting the ball go into touch every time during match play. Looked so scared of making an error that he wasn't even prepared to try and defend the kicks. Sneyd kicked Wigan to death tactically. That and the play acting stopping the clock for Hulls "injured" players constantly let them take a break and refocus when it looked like momentum was turning
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The way a couple of hull’s players went down I thought they’d be calling in the air ambulance to help out yet amazingly enough within a few moments they recovered,Lazarus style to carry on.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Back to the "spine" question

I don't think we can play Powell AND Leuluia

HOOKER:
Powell offers 80 minutes but has average distribution and very little attacking threat (Houghton showed the way for Hull). Leuluai cannot play 80 minutes so if he is at hooker we have to have Powell or someone else on the bench to replace him.

Half:
Leuluai was not the greatest creative player when last at Wigan, It took Wayne Bennett to move him to hooker to see the best of him when we followed suite. Sam gone and Hardaker not the same type means we MUST have a creative half otherwise everything has to come from Williams (and he often takes the wrong option under pressure). Powell is slow and steady but does he offer the creativity we need at scrum half?

Should have gone for Drinkwater IMO, but this means Sammut has to be our half and we need find someone to offer more in the hooking shirt
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 pm Back to the "spine" question

I don't think we can play Powell AND Leuluia

HOOKER:
Powell offers 80 minutes but has average distribution and very little attacking threat (Houghton showed the way for Hull). Leuluai cannot play 80 minutes so if he is at hooker we have to have Powell or someone else on the bench to replace him.

Half:
Leuluai was not the greatest creative player when last at Wigan, It took Wayne Bennett to move him to hooker to see the best of him when we followed suite. Sam gone and Hardaker not the same type means we MUST have a creative half otherwise everything has to come from Williams (and he often takes the wrong option under pressure). Powell is slow and steady but does he offer the creativity we need at scrum half?

Should have gone for Drinkwater IMO, but this means Sammut has to be our half and we need find someone to offer more in the hooking shirt
Agree with this

I personally thought we shouldnt of kept Tommy on this year on the basis he cant do 80 at hooker and its been proven through his career he's not a great half back. Powell should of gone with Wane to give him an extension was and is crazy, i cant think of a hooker in the league i wouldnt swap him for and he's even worse as a half back.

I too think we should have gone for Drinkwater - i raised this point and was told we did but he was asking crazy money but surely if Hull KR ended up with him we could have bargained him down. Even brough would of at least given us a kicking option for a year.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Completely agree with everyone. A lack of creativity from Hardaker, Tommy, Powell and whoever plays 13 when Lockers is off is killing us.

Hardaker is a running FB who will thrive off space being created for him. That means the onus is on our 6, 7 and 13.

With regards to Powell, having a hooker who is strong defensively but weak in attack is a disadvantage. You can mitigate that by a good 6 and 7 pairing. However, what a good 6 and 7 pairing will not give you is the ability to step out from the POTB, draw markers, hit forwards running at pace into gaps etc. That part should be bread and butter of a hooker. Probably comes down to the fact that Powell played 7 his whole career and was moved to 9 by Wane.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

For those who regularly get to watch the youngsters are there any prospects for a 9 there?

We aren’t going to buy anyone but we desperately need more from a 9.

If players aren’t performing as Lam wants and expects he needs to drop em if he can but then outside about the first 19 players we have a very inexperienced squad.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I do wonder how much Lam can actually do, i think (yet again) its a huge mistake to offer a coach a 1 year deal knowing that a replacement (far more famous replacement) is coming in next season.

For the players no matter how much of a professional they are surely there is a bit of the "substitute teacher" syndrome. Lam will want to make his mark to land a bigger job but again how much can he really do in the time frame he has got.

If he starts dropping the established players he could very easily lose the dressing room because no one will care about upsetting him - feel like his hands are somewhat tied
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:38 am I do wonder how much Lam can actually do, i think (yet again) its a huge mistake to offer a coach a 1 year deal knowing that a replacement (far more famous replacement) is coming in next season.

For the players no matter how much of a professional they are surely there is a bit of the "substitute teacher" syndrome. Lam will want to make his mark to land a bigger job but again how much can he really do in the time frame he has got.

If he starts dropping the established players he could very easily lose the dressing room because no one will care about upsetting him - feel like his hands are somewhat tied
It is and was a stupid arrangement by the club,I think though it showed how unprepared they where for Wane stepping down,at the moment the team looks rudderless I’m not sure he will be able to either,as you say he hasn’t the authority,this mess is down squarely on Lenegans shoulders the attachment shouldn’t have been made the way it was,my opinion on that won’t change.

My theory over Tommy playing is a simple one if he has retired it was another big name gone following the exodus from last season,I know it’ll be wrong but I can’t think of another reason why he carried on.