Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Hull

Post by ancientnloyal »

That was shockingly bad. Sunday was good until 3pm
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Caboosegg

Re: Hull

Post by Caboosegg »

Own worst enemies again, defense has gone to crap.

Hull played basic rugby and walked over us.

How Escare cannot get a game at the moment i do not now, i dont expect him to fix any attacking issues but we look just as bad in attack as defense at time so having someone of his attacking threat .

I know its his first game for use byt not impressed with Sammut.

But lets remember everyone wanted a more attacking rugby and were fed up of Wanes defensive style.

However

Thaler... houghton chucks a ball at a player whos moved out of the ruck, misses him luckly but isnt that now a pen?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

What a shambles, Powell Williams Sammutt, spine of the team? Everyone was sick of Wanes defensive game but he had them defending well.I feel sorry for Lam, he wants to instill attacking rugby into the team but apart from Lockers no one knows how to attack.May be a long season. :(
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

What an awful display. What has Lam done to the defence? And where is this fantastic open attacking play we were promised? At the moment we can’t defend and we can’t put more than two passes together without someone getting lost. We rely on our outside backs to run the ball out far to much. We need another big prop, get rid of Isa, who shows heart on the field but is a penalty machine and just isn’t good enough, and Tautai who is awful. Put Hamlin in the second row and let him run at the edges, he isn’t a prop.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Seems we've got back to 2017. Our defence was poor, our attack was clueless and Tom Davies was quality.

I expected a bit of a hangover from the World Club Challenge as it always seems to happen, but that was a pretty dire performance overall and they should have had enough to beat what was a spirited Hull side but still not one high in quality.

Danny Houghton absolutely ran the show. When's the last time Sam Powell ever had a game as good as that? When has he ever even come close to playing that well? His best input in the game was creating a try while playing at 13!

The positives are that Flower, Bullock and Hamlin continue to play well. I dread to think what would have happened if we didn't have those 3 in the side. O'Loughlin struggled but it's probably understandable at his age and after the shifts he's put in during the last few weeks.

Losing Greenwood was a blow but Hamlin filled in for him well and was very energetic. On the other side though we got absolutely nothing from Isa (except the dumbest of penalties which then led to a try).

I was hoping to see Tautai come into the side and actually try to make a difference. I hoped he could become a different player under Lam but as soon as he came on he was a walking disaster. Dreadful performance and one that would ordinarily keep him out of the side for longer but apart from the 3 mentioned above all of our main props have been poor.

Byrne did okay but it was clearly a huge step up for him. It wasn't the ideal game for him to be playing in.

Our halves and creative players just didn't step up and cause enough problems throughout that game. It was very lethargic throughout. Hopefully it was just a blip but London will be fancying an upset I reckon.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That was awful,Hull worse and yet Wigan still lost a draw was the correct result,but no little Bobby Elstones obsession with the NRL shines through and spoils it.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 pm Hull played basic rugby and walked over us.

But lets remember everyone wanted a more attacking rugby and were fed up of Wanes defensive style.
So you admit that Hull l did the basics far better but then complain it's because we as fans want to watch more attacking rugby league. Which is it? Where we so overambitious and carefree in possession that we didn't do the basics or just simply godawful in every facet?

I was going to mention "hangover" but others have already. That is simply an excuse for a dreadful and lackluster performance both in attack and defence. Almost nicked it at the end but yet more silly penalties proved costly

What can Lammy do with this team? Whilst we probably shouldn't be panicking at this stage of the season there are worrying signs of a team lacking any creativity and who can't resist giving penalties when we needed to least.

Tuatai - IMO we wont see in the First team again, got himself 10 minutes with his second tackle (first one was a bit "close" then came back on and dropped the ball before being subbed. He can go Swinton or wherever for me
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:14 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 pm Hull played basic rugby and walked over us.

So you admit that Hull l did the basics far better but then complain it's because we as fans want to watch more attacking rugby league. Which is it? Where we so overambitious and carefree in possession that we didn't do the basics or just simply godawful in every facet?

I was going to mention "hangover" but others have already. That is simply an excuse for a dreadful and lackluster performance both in attack and defence. Almost nicked it at the end but yet more silly penalties proved costly

What can Lammy do with this team? Whilst we probably shouldn't be panicking at this stage of the season there are worrying signs of a team lacking any creativity and who can't resist giving penalties when we needed to least.

Tuatai - IMO we wont see in the First team again, got himself 10 minutes with his second tackle (first one was a bit "close" then came back on and dropped the ball before being subbed. He can go Swinton or wherever for me
No im saying if we had Wane still our defense would not of leaked half of thkse tries!
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:23 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:14 pm

No im saying if we had Wane still our defense would not of leaked half of thkse tries!
That's like me saying if we had Andy Gregory and Ellery Hanley in the team we would have scored more tries. Wane is the past. We have to get over it. Players have to get over it. All ancient history now and speculating how good or bad our defence would have been one week after a World Club Challenge with an ex-coach in charge is exactly that - pure speculation
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Its nothing like you saying that at all.

The Majority of these players played last year, they defended that line like their lives depended on it. Over one off season all that seems to have gone.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.