Hull

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Hull

Post by morley pie eater »

I think/guess that Caboose's original point was that fans who wanted Wane out had got their way - and this is the result.

"Be careful what you wish for"?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

10,900 gate with a strong Hull support... it’s going down down down
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

old hooker wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:36 pm What a shambles, Powell Williams Sammutt, spine of the team? Everyone was sick of Wanes defensive game but he had them defending well.I feel sorry for Lam, he wants to instill attacking rugby into the team but apart from Lockers no one knows how to attack.May be a long season. :(
That was pathetic today but I disagree Lam has to shoulder some of the blame. Our defence was atrocious, all 17 players thought they were stand offs, what happened to the forwards making hard yards with some direct running? You have got to earn the right to play an expansive game and we are not doing that, it should be back to basics. To be fair to Lammy, the personnel he has at his disposal is not great and IFL and Rads should have to answer for that. We have too many players who are simply not good enough and others who are past their sell by date. It could be a very long season unless things change quickly.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:02 pm Seems we've got back to 2017. Our defence was poor, our attack was clueless and Tom Davies was quality.

I expected a bit of a hangover from the World Club Challenge as it always seems to happen, but that was a pretty dire performance overall and they should have had enough to beat what was a spirited Hull side but still not one high in quality.

Danny Houghton absolutely ran the show. When's the last time Sam Powell ever had a game as good as that? When has he ever even come close to playing that well? His best input in the game was creating a try while playing at 13!

The positives are that Flower, Bullock and Hamlin continue to play well. I dread to think what would have happened if we didn't have those 3 in the side. O'Loughlin struggled but it's probably understandable at his age and after the shifts he's put in during the last few weeks.

Losing Greenwood was a blow but Hamlin filled in for him well and was very energetic. On the other side though we got absolutely nothing from Isa (except the dumbest of penalties which then led to a try).

I was hoping to see Tautai come into the side and actually try to make a difference. I hoped he could become a different player under Lam but as soon as he came on he was a walking disaster. Dreadful performance and one that would ordinarily keep him out of the side for longer but apart from the 3 mentioned above all of our main props have been poor.

Byrne did okay but it was clearly a huge step up for him. It wasn't the ideal game for him to be playing in.

Our halves and creative players just didn't step up and cause enough problems throughout that game. It was very lethargic throughout. Hopefully it was just a blip but London will be fancying an upset I reckon.
I am watching a different Tom Davies from the one I saw last season. Powell's last good attacking game was when he played for England against the Australian schoolboys. Flower is our best prop and leading try scorer, Bullock was ok today but he was to blame for Westerman's soft try (you see that move in U9's rugby!). Hamlin gives his all but I don't know where he fits into this team, he is definitely not a second row. Lockers is still our best player and if he gets injured we are stuffed. T needs to go as does Isa, they both continue to make the same mistakes and it is costly for the team. Byrne did ok and he will be a star in the future, that should have been the ideal game for him to make his debut. Our creative players have no room to play in because our forwards are normally second best, although to be fair they were awful. Tommy is a shadow of the player he was and if he is not careful everybody will remember his performances this season rather than those of a champion rugby player. I am not sure what Marshall gives the team aside from his speed, his positioning is very poor. Zak we will have to wait and see how he goes when he has played a few more matches. Our centres were outplayed again today and Lam was outcoached. It could be worse though we could be Widnes!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:53 pm
old hooker wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:36 pm What a shambles, Powell Williams Sammutt, spine of the team? Everyone was sick of Wanes defensive game but he had them defending well.I feel sorry for Lam, he wants to instill attacking rugby into the team but apart from Lockers no one knows how to attack.May be a long season. :(
That was pathetic today but I disagree Lam has to shoulder some of the blame. Our defence was atrocious, all 17 players thought they were stand offs, what happened to the forwards making hard yards with some direct running? You have got to earn the right to play an expansive game and we are not doing that, it should be back to basics. To be fair to Lammy, the personnel he has at his disposal is not great and IFL and Rads should have to answer for that. We have too many players who are simply not good enough and others who are past their sell by date. It could be a very long season unless things change quickly.
I agree Lam has to shoulder some of the blame for the defence it’s terrible and the attack isn’t offering anything of note really.

Lenegan has clearly been cost cutting so he has a choice try to find a buyer and pass the club on or bankroll it to a acceptable standard,plenty of players or nearing the end of their careers so serious investment will be needed as all the answers won’t be found in the under 19s,either so whatever happens as you say players are coming to the end/not good enough money is going to be needed.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Bring in the good Doctor, He has cash to burn and will burn it :lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I am watching a different Tom Davies from the one I saw last season.
Teams are probably working out how to stop him, he also looks leaner than last season?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:44 pm Bring in the good Doctor, He has cash to burn and will burn it :lol:
Isn't he off to liddypool and forming the diddymen club or some such nonsense?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Missing Sam's organization in the D, his yelling, putting his structured line in place, the energy, aggression etc.

Also his contribution in the right side attack, two or three times it was lackluster and cried out for his linking up there.

Also, missing Bateman for his 80 minutes input into everything.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am Missing Sam's organization in the D, his yelling, putting his structured line in place, the energy, aggression etc.

Also his contribution in the right side attack, two or three times it was lackluster and cried out for his linking up there.

Also, missing Bateman for his 80 minutes input into everything.
And let’s be brutally honest and fair here Wanes coaching of the defence,it’d be wrong in my view to not count him in the picture