Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Post by josie andrews »

Canberra Raiders have been linked with a move for Wigan stand-off George Williams.

League Express today reported the stand-off will be offered a three-year deal to join John Bateman and Ryan Sutton in the Australian capital in 2020.

Williams has been linked with several NRL clubs in the past and has never shied away from the fact he wants to try his hand Down Under at some stage in his career. Newcastle Knights have previously been linked with him.

But he is under contract with Wigan until the end of 2020 - with an option for 2021.

And given they received a “significant” fee from Canberra to release John Bateman from the final year of his contract - and previously received transfers to release Sam Tomkins and Lee Mossop to NRL clubs - it would appear unlikely they would let him go for free, especially as the Warriors have previously turned down bids of up to £400,000 for the England international.

Williams is on a marquee contract at Wigan, meaning only £75,000 of his lucrative salary counts on the £2m-plus salary cap.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9614159
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The powers that be have got an opportunity to change our attack next season by changing our 6,7 and 9, but will they be brave enough to do so and will they spend the funds needed? I am sure Giz will want better players at his disposal.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
pedro

Post by pedro »

will IL stump up for another marquee as he didnt when Sam left?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

It does look likely that George will go next season. I wonder if the club knew about this in time to make a serious bid for Widdop. It looks like we may need a complete re-vamp next season and, if so, I hope we make the right decisions about who to keep from the existing squad and then spend accordingly. I can't imagine that Edwards will want to take over a squad that isn't capable of competing for trophies immediately. George leaving (I still hope he doesn't) could put a whole new spin on the Lam/Edwards change over. We have some promising youngsters at the club but not many will be ready for regular first team action next season.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think we are in for some ups and downs the next few seasons.
If George leaves(hope he doesn’t but looks likely) we will need a new settled pair of halves. Sam isn’t up for it and Tommy should be finishing end of this season
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think it’s clear Williams fancies a crack at the NRL so it’s time to let him try,this transfer talk every season is becoming tiresome,let him go and good luck to the lad
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Tautai will be our marquee played for 2020-22
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Good opportunity for Edwards to influence the team without having to fit in with the current halves.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Powell is the stumbling block, Unless we can trick Wakefield into taking him along with a little money for Fifita, To sweeten the deal we could throw in Tautai :D
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

He can go this season, I,ll run him to the airport myself :)