Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Post by medlocke »

Oh no, We better not let Williams (The Messiah) leave the club, We will end up getting relegated 2 leagues and will be playing against Coventry and Hunslet on a Sunday afternoon. No player is bigger than the club, Specially one that wants to leave for the NRL asap, I have a feeling that the less than glamorous signings this season has been so Edwards can bring in some big names next season
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:06 pm To the Williams detractors.
Go back to last season when he got injured and see what happened. Then when he came back Wigan won every game, that's how important he is to us.
Williams has the best running and short kicking game in Superleague for a half back (that's from a superleague coach and player) . What he doesn't have (yet) and may never have is a great organising/passing game. That's really where we miss Sam Tomkins another who many "fans" wanted rid of.
Be careful what you wish for, losing Williams would cause us no end of problems, but the know all fans who wanted rid of Sam and Wane would have got there way and no doubt will have the next scapegoat(s) lined up from their armchairs or bar stools!!
Well said 😊
I cannot understand his critics at times!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

NRL clubs back off Williams as Wigan set hefty price tag

Wigan have told NRL clubs they must pay $500,000 if they want to sign their star half-back George Williams.

It was reported last week that no few than six teams from Australia’s premier competition were interested in the England international.

However, Fox Sports have reported that one team made an approach for Williams but were told they must pay the hefty sum to sign the 24-year-old.

The news comes just hours after Wigan head coach Adrian Lam admitted the speculation of a move Down Under has affected the early season form of his playmaker.

“I know going to the NRL is something that he dreams about,” Lam said.

“That was discussed in September last year because that was on the table at that stage as well.

“If he is in negotiations with them then it’s got to take an effect on him.”

Williams, who is contracted with the Warriors until the end of the 2020 season, has made it clear that he has aspirations to play in the NRL.

Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors and Newcastle Knights are believed to be the teams interested, but they are unlikely to cough up the huge asking price for an unproven NRL player.

“I’m going to talk with him this week,” added Lam.

“I’ve already spoken with him on a short-term basis on whether he’s okay with all of that.

“The longer this drags on the more it’s going to affect him. He obviously doesn’t handle that side of things well, as in balancing that up with having to perform.”

Wigan are the reigning Super League champions but have had a disastrous start to the season and sit joint bottom following a shock defeat to newly promoted London Broncos.

Williams is the man that makes the Warriors tick and Lam will be hoping to sort his future out sooner rather than later as he bids to get their campaign back on track.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/nrl-club ... tag-19532/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Go back to last season when he got injured and see what happened. Then when he came back Wigan won every game, that's how important he is to us.
Williams has the best running and short kicking game in Superleague for a half back (that's from a superleague coach and player) . What he doesn't have (yet) and may never have is a great organising/passing game. That's really where we miss Sam Tomkins another who many "fans" wanted rid of.
Be careful what you wish for, losing Williams would cause us no end of problems, but the know all fans who wanted rid of Sam and Wane would have got there way and no doubt will have the next scapegoat(s) lined up from their armchairs or bar stools!!
Best running game in SL, nonsense, and I get my opinions from watching Wigan not from an armchair.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:45 pm
Well said 😊

And I cant understand his fans.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dont be suprised if he makes his trade at fullback in the NRL........ Ive always thought that position would suite his game
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Article on skysports adding more speculation while also saying all the speculation is harming wigan preformances.

If hes goes at the end of the season like suggested it explains why we bought Sammat for 2 years and kept Woods.

Williams leaves

2020 - Sammut 6 woods 7 (or viceversa)
2021 - Harry smith 6 woods 7

If he does go i would like to see a NRL signing but im going to presume its exactly why we kept woods on.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Giz will sort out Williams problems, he will select a pack of forwards that run straight and hard and get us into attacking positions. The whole of our pack think they have the talent to play in the halves at the moment.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:45 pm
Well said 😊
x2
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm Giz will sort out Williams problems, he will select a pack of forwards that run straight and hard and get us into attacking positions. The whole of our pack think they have the talent to play in the halves at the moment.
Is Giz now signing for an NRL club?