Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan Warriors' George Williams in fresh link with NRL - report

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am
medlocke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:39 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm Giz will sort out Williams problems, he will select a pack of forwards that run straight and hard and get us into attacking positions. The whole of our pack think they have the talent to play in the halves at the moment.
Is Giz now signing for an NRL club?
You tell me.
Not that I know, why did you ask?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm Giz will sort out Williams problems, he will select a pack of forwards that run straight and hard and get us into attacking positions. The whole of our pack think they have the talent to play in the halves at the moment.
If it is as simple as that, why do all teams not employ the tactic of "run straight and hard to get the team into an attacking position."

Its because running straight and hard is easy to defend as it is just one up rugby.
Rugby is a simple game, some try to make it hard!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:11 pm
understand rugby????? Ive probably forgot more about it than you will ever know....... god forbid a player changing positions and bettering himself........ edwards, bell, hanley, clarke, byrne, lydon, tomkins, oloughlin( too name but a few) , all changed there original positions and did better....... oh but i dont know about rugby lol

If it is as simple as that, why do all teams not employ the tactic of "run straight and hard to get the team into an attacking position."

Its because running straight and hard is easy to defend as it is just one up rugby.
On what basis do you think Williams will move to the NRL and convert to a fullback?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Well the alternative is not working. Listen to Giz’s interview and you will see what I mean. By the way it worked for the Roosters last season.
I agree the current strategy around how our forwards play isn't working but I think it is too easy to just say "run hard and straight." We probably do not have a pack of forwards that can do what "Giz" states in his interview.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why don’t we just let George play his natural game instead of a structured one? He used to play brilliant off the cuff rugby then he got in the senior squad 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:24 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm understand rugby????? Ive probably forgot more about it than you will ever know....... god forbid a player changing positions and bettering himself........ edwards, bell, hanley, clarke, byrne, lydon, tomkins, oloughlin( too name but a few) , all changed there original positions and did better....... oh but i dont know about rugby lol

On what basis do you think Williams will move to the NRL and convert to a fullback?
1 he can run the ball more( something hes very good at doing)
2 he can link up and pick and choose when he joins the line
3 hes got a great step off either foot
4 hes got great vision
5 a great pair of hands
6 he can catch
7 he can tackle
8 best of all he wont be wearing himself out running down blind alleys...... if he does this( as a half back) in the NRL he will be dropped...... that is a fact
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:04 pm
4 hes got great vision
5 a great pair of hands
6 he can catch
7 he can tackle
8 best of all he wont be wearing himself out running down blind alleys...... if he does this( as a half back) in the NRL he will be dropped...... that is a fact
Thats not the Williams I have been watching
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Of course he has faults like not fully controlling a game and stepping out of a gap and into another tackler but hey, nobodies perfect....... unlikely too see players like edwards gregory hanley and bell ever again
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

4 hes got great vision
5 a great pair of hands
6 he can catch
7 he can tackle
Whilst there have been converts from Half to FB - Tomkins, Lockyer, Lomax, I think it is very naive and too easy to just say that.

1 - His reading of the game and positioning at FB is unknown
2 - His ability to make 1 on 1 tackles whilst playing at FB is unknown
3 - His ability to catch high balls continuously is unknown
4 - His ability to catch high balls under pressure is unknown

His attacking abilities suggest he could but defensive are so unknown and are the hardest part of playing FB.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:59 am

4 hes got great vision
5 a great pair of hands
6 he can catch
7 he can tackle
Whilst there have been converts from Half to FB - Tomkins, Lockyer, Lomax, I think it is very naive and too easy to just say that.

1 - His reading of the game and positioning at FB is unknown
2 - His ability to make 1 on 1 tackles whilst playing at FB is unknown
3 - His ability to catch high balls continuously is unknown
4 - His ability to catch high balls under pressure is unknown

His attacking abilities suggest he could but defensive are so unknown and are the hardest part of playing FB.
Sam tomkins is a prime example of all your points.......when he first moved too fullback he was pretty poor at all 4 points..... so my question is....... is he a poor fullback now or a great convert to fullback? A great player can change positions imo