Recruitment... why did we get Hankinson?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganrealist

Re: Recruitment... why did we get Hankinson?

Post by Wiganrealist »

Sarginson has been better than last year but still been crap last year he was absolute crap, his problem is he doesn’t understand rugby league and is and never will be a centre. His passing is abysmal his one pass to Marshall against Roosters was three yards behind and went in touch.
Gildart is a natural left centre and surely the idea is to play the best player in any position in that position, is Lam being told to play Sarginson because we brought him back from although if I remember right only HKR were interested.
I would have thought that their performance against Roosters and the quality of what they were up against was enough to convince both Gildart and Williams to stay over here because they ain’t going to make it in the NRL
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

A center that won't pass is about as much use as James Earl Jones in a silent movie
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

I'm hoping Lam switches it up against London and pays Hankinson at right centre and moves Gildart to the left. Not holding out much hope though.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
if i were to take a more constrcutive look at it - i think teams like Leeds/St Helens/Wire have concentrated on getting a very good 17 throwing some star players. Wigan seem to have taken the tact of having a good overall squad full of utility players that can cover many roles.
I don’t think we have done that. As I just posted in another thread outside about the first 19 players (which include Bullock) we are soon into players with next to no SL experience.

We have in effect done the same as those teams you mention in that we have a recognised first 17 and then not much else beyond. Their squads have some star players who they have gone out and recruited. We on the other hand are relying on two veterans, Williams, Greenwood and Hardaker as our top players.

I also agree with the notion our recruitment tends to be who is available (and cheap) as opposed to targeted designed to give us a balanced team. A good example is centre where we have two left centres. Back row is another where both Faz and Greenwood want to play on the same side.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:30 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
if i were to take a more constrcutive look at it - i think teams like Leeds/St Helens/Wire have concentrated on getting a very good 17 throwing some star players. Wigan seem to have taken the tact of having a good overall squad full of utility players that can cover many roles.
I don’t think we have done that. As I just posted in another thread outside about the first 19 players (which include Bullock) we are soon into players with next to no SL experience.

We have in effect done the same as those teams you mention in that we have a recognised first 17 and then not much else beyond. Their squads have some star players who they have gone out and recruited. We on the other hand are relying on two veterans, Williams, Greenwood and Hardaker as our top players.

I also agree with the notion our recruitment tends to be who is available (and cheap) as opposed to targeted designed to give us a balanced team. A good example is centre where we have two left centres. Back row is another where both Faz and Greenwood want to play on the same side.
I agree with DaveO here. We seem to have focussed on simply having the deepest squad in SL with 36 players currently registered to the first team. Wire and Saints both have 30 players registered to their first teams but have a lot more SL and NRL experience within those 30 players. I can't help but think it would be a good idea to reduce our squad size by 5-6 players (which would still leave us with plenty depth) but focus on improving the quality of the team.