Recruitment... why did we get Hankinson?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Recruitment... why did we get Hankinson?

Post by ancientnloyal »

What’s the point in getting Hankinson if he is shipped off to the Championship? Isn’t he an option we should at least try instead of Gildart being out of position?

Leeds signed a beast of a centre who aggravated us so why can we not do similar in the transfer market?

Bullock has promise so fair play for thatnsigjing but the rest... uninspiring.

We are meant to be Wigan!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
widdenoldboy

Re: Recruitment... why did we get Hankinson?

Post by widdenoldboy »

The lad was unlucky with injury after a promising start but would like to see him in the squad soon.
Not sure if he could provide cover for 2nd row? this is why Isa is getting in the squad as he can cover centre position and 2nd row from the bench.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

You would think a big goal kicking center who knows how to pass would get a game now and then
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 pm The lad was unlucky with injury after a promising start but would like to see him in the squad soon.
Not sure if he could provide cover for 2nd row? this is why Isa is getting in the squad as he can cover centre position and 2nd row from the bench.
No no no no no stop with this Isa can cover centre, He is back row pure and simples now. Castleford and Widnes realised that and we signed him after winning player of the year at Widnes in the back row - why pretend it was ten years ago and he is still a centre in the NRL???
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 pm The lad was unlucky with injury after a promising start but would like to see him in the squad soon.
No no no no no stop with this Isa can cover centre, He is back row pure and simples now. Castleford and Widnes realised that and we signed him after winning player of the year at Widnes in the back row - why pretend it was ten years ago and he is still a centre in the NRL???
Yeh, I should have been clearer - he does cover for centre but not to any great effect any longer :oops:
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Hankinson looked decent when he got the chance last year before injury but he's behind an England international centre and Sarginson who was outstanding against the Roosters and wasn't too bad against Hull.

Sarge can't be dropped as he's our best centre on current form while Gildart has earned his right to be one of the first on the team sheet. What Hankinson needed was to really impress last season but injury made that impossible, so it's no surprise that he's having to bide his time. I'm sure he'll get a chance, particularly if our form doesn't pick up.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

With the injuru he recieved id be suprised if he can still see the same as before.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont for one second get on board with the Sarge has been outstanding - i think compared to how terrible he normally is this season he has been better but for a centre he still never looks to pass to his winger and is suspect in defence.
His best position would probably be fullback as he does has excellent feet and balance but other than than hes still a good way from what i would say makes a good centre if he makes a break and has one player to beat and a winger outside him you can 99% guarantee he will try and step inside rather than release the winger.

Onto the recruitment policy my cynical answer is Wigans policy is available and cheap

if i were to take a more constrcutive look at it - i think teams like Leeds/St Helens/Wire have concentrated on getting a very good 17 throwing some star players. Wigan seem to have taken the tact of having a good overall squad full of utility players that can cover many roles.

Time will tell if thats right or wrong
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I really don't get moving Gildart from left centre to right. Last year he was one of the best centre's in the league and this year people are having a go at his form. Its like asking a batsman to play left handed because the team has brought in a right handed player who left the club and returned because he wasn't good enough.

Gildard needs to be back on the left with Williams, then its up to Sarge or Hankinson to fight for the other side. Sarge had a shocker on Sunday, just because he ran hard against the Roosters doesn't mean he deserves his spot.

I'm getting a bit concerned about Lam, it seems someone else is telling him what team to pick. The way he kept Powell on the field on Sunday even though we had a 6,7 & 9. The way Greenwood has pushed Farrell onto the other side. How Escare can't get a look in even thought we are crying out for a bit of zip.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Anybody who believes Sarginson is a good centre doesn't understand rugby.

Apologies if that offends anybody but it is the truth.

Does he run hard and make yards? Yes
Does he scoot well and make yards? Yes
Is he fast and evasive? Yes

But the problem is, some of the main attributes a centre needs, he is shocking at.

Can he draw a man or create space and pass to his winger? No. On the occasions he does pass its inaccurate, he doesn't look and the technique is bad.

Does he have a good sliding defence and positioning? Absolutely not.

Is he good at defending? Absolutely not.

Truth be told, Gildart has had a shocking year so far (as noted by all) but I think he has only made the England team due to the lack of quality in the position at the moment. He is above average but know where near excellent in my eyes. He is a good player with lots of potential to improve more but looks too lightweight for me (evidenced by a winger completely showing up him against the Roosters.)
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."