Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by fozzieskem »

I was just responding to the rumours of him not signing a deal, but I would say this IF hes signed a deal there should any ifs,buts,Maybe’s,could bes it should simply be when I come and give a rough date.

Too much smoke for there not to be any substance to it,for my money I hope he doesn’t come it’s an outrageous gamble on a coach who’s never coached RL in the last 30 years and if you where going to take that mad gamble I’d want them as some possible,if he could not make it work with his employers thank him and move on,Wigan is the pinacle of English RL why should we be kept waiting?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 am
DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:03 am

It won’t be Edwards faffing anyone about. If there is anything in this it will be IL.

If he didn’t agree a contract with Edwards he had no business in announcing him as coach for 2020.
Its a shame you have no way of proving that. Edwards was at the press conference, he said he was coming, you can't turn that onto IL.
It's a shame you didn't read the thread a bit more carefully before commenting. It was Fozzieskem who said no contract had been signed earlier in the thread. I was responding to him saying IF this was the case IL had no business in announcing him as coach for 2020.

IF Fozzie is right and Edwards doesn't come, then that will be my opinion.

As it is if you read my first and other posts in this thread you will see I am sceptical of the notion he won't come and that statements made by Edwards are being blown out of proportion.
Its meant to say You'd, saying you adds the wrong context ti my message.

My point is if it all falls through there would be no way to prove whos fault it is IL or SE.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:43 pm
My point is if it all falls through there would be no way to prove whos fault it is IL or SE.
That's OK. In that case, they can share the blame equally.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:I was just responding to the rumours of him not signing a deal, but I would say this IF hes signed a deal there should any ifs,buts,Maybe’s,could bes it should simply be when I come and give a rough date.

Too much smoke for there not to be any substance to it,for my money I hope he doesn’t come it’s an outrageous gamble on a coach who’s never coached RL in the last 30 years and if you where going to take that mad gamble I’d want them as some possible,if he could not make it work with his employers thank him and move on,Wigan is the pinacle of English RL why should we be kept waiting?
Well rumours about no deal being signed are just that and it would be very strange to parade the signing of a coach on nothing more than a gentleman’s agreement.

As to him being a risk and he being out of the game for 30 years I think that is hugely irrelevant. He had zero RU coaching experience when he went there and has had huge success. I expect him to walk it in RL.

As to keeping us waiting, what does that mean? He is honouring his commitment to Wales then coming here (unless these rumours are true) and it was IL who brokered this deal. There was loads of complaints when Madge left here a year early and did not honour his deal so now we expect others to do the same just because we are Wigan?

I think the fact he wants a long coaching career makes it more likely he will come because he can afford a few years in RL and if he doesn’t come, it won’t be something he has instigated.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 am Its a shame you have no way of proving that. Edwards was at the press conference, he said he was coming, you can't turn that onto IL.
It's a shame you didn't read the thread a bit more carefully before commenting. It was Fozzieskem who said no contract had been signed earlier in the thread. I was responding to him saying IF this was the case IL had no business in announcing him as coach for 2020.

IF Fozzie is right and Edwards doesn't come, then that will be my opinion.

As it is if you read my first and other posts in this thread you will see I am sceptical of the notion he won't come and that statements made by Edwards are being blown out of proportion.
Its meant to say You'd, saying you adds the wrong context ti my message.

Well that would depend on the reasons given. I am sure Edwards would be up front about it and wouldn’t let there be any bullshit about it if it was IL who called it off. He’s not going to let IL sully his reputation so IL can save face.

The same works the other way. If Edwards ended up being the instigator I’d be astonished, his reputation would be gone but I can’t see IL allowing himself to be blamed if it went that way. IL ought to know what a blow to many fans this would be and would not be taking the flak for Edwards walking away.

The trouble is, if it happens it doesn’t really matter who instigates it from the clubs point of view. Either way it would look stupid and IL ends up with egg on his face. Edwards would only look bad as well if he instigated it.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 am
fozzieskem wrote:I was just responding to the rumours of him not signing a deal, but I would say this IF hes signed a deal there should any ifs,buts,Maybe’s,could bes it should simply be when I come and give a rough date.

Well rumours about no deal being signed are just that and it would be very strange to parade the signing of a coach on nothing more than a gentleman’s agreement.

As to him being a risk and he being out of the game for 30 years I think that is hugely irrelevant. He had zero RU coaching experience when he went there and has had huge success. I expect him to walk it in RL.

As to keeping us waiting, what does that mean? He is honouring his commitment to Wales then coming here (unless these rumours are true) and it was IL who brokered this deal. There was loads of complaints when Madge left here a year early and did not honour his deal so now we expect others to do the same just because we are Wigan?

I think the fact he wants a long coaching career makes it more likely he will come because he can afford a few years in RL and if he doesn’t come, it won’t be something he has instigated.

- How on earth can you say it's "hugely" irrelevant? Of course it's relevant. It may or may not end up being of consequence, but it is certainly an issue for debate.

- Why do you expect him to "walk it"? On what basis? Tactics? Motivation?

One thing upon which we can both agree is that IF Edwards doesn't come to Wigan, then the integrity of both him and IL will be brought into question for presumably agreeing to a conference without a signed contract in place
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote:

- How on earth can you say it's "hugely" irrelevant? Of course it's relevant. It may or may not end up being of consequence, but it is certainly an issue for debate.

One thing upon which we can both agree is that IF Edwards doesn't come to Wigan, then the integrity of both him and IL will be brought into question for presumably agreeing to a conference without a signed contract in place
I expect him to walk it because I think with his time in union he has proved he has all the man management skills a coach needs. I am not sure that is the right phrase but I mean he would bring a style of coaching more like Monie than Wane. Not overly pally with the players, demands respect and performance and won’t be afraid to drop players who do not perform. There won’t be any player who’s name is first on the team sheet every week and as in union I’d expect the players to end up with a huge respect for him.

Tactically I think the idea he is out of touch because he’s been out of the game is a bit ridiculous. He’s not been living on another planet. He’s been a regular attendee at games. He was in the east stand making notes the week before he was announced as coach. He’s a thoughtful coach who will apply himself to the job in a studious way. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being innovative.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:06 am
Wintergreen wrote:

I expect him to walk it because I think with his time in union he has proved he has all the man management skills a coach needs. I am not sure that is the right phrase but I mean he would bring a style of coaching more like Monie than Wane. Not overly pally with the players, demands respect and performance and won’t be afraid to drop players who do not perform. There won’t be any player who’s name is first on the team sheet every week and as in union I’d expect the players to end up with a huge respect for him.

Tactically I think the idea he is out of touch because he’s been out of the game is a bit ridiculous. He’s not been living on another planet. He’s been a regular attendee at games. He was in the east stand making notes the week before he was announced as coach. He’s a thoughtful coach who will apply himself to the job in a studious way. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being innovative.

I both agree with, and hope for, a lot of the points that you make. I do think that it is a risk to appoint someone who has been out of the game for so long though, and whilst I am not necessarily saying this should (have) stop (ped) the appointment, I do think it is a massive factor to think about.

Personally I would give him a shot. We have nothing to lose by doing so in all honesty, and as you say, with a bit of luck (and hard work) it could be inspired.

Having said all that, his recent comments are both puzzling and worrying.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Cunningham was not out of touch with the game and look at the mess he made.
He was well respected at saints.

My only concern with edwards really is he admitted hes on atleast the same as union meaning its alot of money on an unproven RL coach.

On the plus side he is a defense coach and thats what we are missing so far this season.... maybe its a master plan
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
wigtop

Post by wigtop »

I would have liked IL to have offered Lam a three year deal. Present situation maybe not good for anyone. :?