Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Woody1989

Shaun Edwards

Post by Woody1989 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Xd&ampcf=1

Sounding more and more like Edwards is keeping his options open. He says he'll be looking to go back to Union after a couple of seasons at Wigan :|

I'm starting to think that it's all going to fall through by the end of the season.
DaveO

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by DaveO »

There is a danger here of Reading too much into newspapers over analysing everything to come up with a sensational story.

Granted it would be helpful if Edwards and IL reiterated Edwards was taking over next season but these days no one anywhere in any interview gives 100% unequivocal answers to anything in case the sky falls in between then and now.

If Edwards does walk away from the job his integrity, something he’s built his reputation on, goes up in smoke.

If IL comes out with any excuse not to employ Edwards he can have mine and many others I suspect season tickets back. It would have been a monumental lie to line Edwards up and then not do as promised especially as the Lam for a year then Edwards thing was heralded with such fanfare.

Both men have a lot to lose depending on which one or both of them decide all that was basically a publicity stunt should it come to that (which I don’t think it will).
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

I agree, Edwards was a hero of mine when I was a lad (as he was for many others), but if he walks out on his commitment that'll all change. I wonder if that's why he's quoted as saying if Lam did well then he'd step aside? He might be hoping Lam wins the GF so he has an excuse. But like you say, might be reading too much into it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That no contract was signed is a huge warning bell,if he does come it seems he’s already looking at returning to Union the whole sebang is not looking good,that said I wouldn’t cry a river if he changed his mind I don’t care how successful he was as a player or a coach in union to walk in into a head coach job in RL is a huge gamble.

I trust the matter one way or another is sorted out quickly
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The returning to union thing is another quote you can take whichever way you like.

No club coaching position last forever and Edwards wants a long career. Suddenly that means he’s only going to be here a year.

What no one seems to have mentioned is why, if Edwards coming here was never a serious possibility, did Edwards and IL set themselves up for the inevitable ridicule? It would end up being one of the most amazing non appointments in sport not to mention utterly cynical and/or unprofessional (to put it mildly).

We have seen some patronising nonsense from IL over the years about players leaving and coming back, the latest being over Bateman where it seems it was news to him he was Wigan’s player once his new NRL contract was up but this deal going belly up would be astonishing.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That there’s paper talk at all has soured my admittedly reserved feelings,simply put if he wanted the job,in my opinion this is the biggest job in the sport Wigan should not come second,I don’t care that a contract was involved with union,they’ve shown our sport scant respect in that regard,offer the job you want it or not a take it or leave offer not be faffed about by him.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Some years ago Edwards took a job when better offers were on the table.
When asked why he'd taken the job he had when there wasn't a contract signed his reply was "I gave my word ".
DaveO

Shaun Edwards

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:That there’s paper talk at all has soured my admittedly reserved feelings,simply put if he wanted the job,in my opinion this is the biggest job in the sport Wigan should not come second,I don’t care that a contract was involved with union,they’ve shown our sport scant respect in that regard,offer the job you want it or not a take it or leave offer not be faffed about by him.
It won’t be Edwards faffing anyone about. If there is anything in this it will be IL.

If he didn’t agree a contract with Edwards he had no business in announcing him as coach for 2020.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:03 am
fozzieskem wrote:That there’s paper talk at all has soured my admittedly reserved feelings,simply put if he wanted the job,in my opinion this is the biggest job in the sport Wigan should not come second,I don’t care that a contract was involved with union,they’ve shown our sport scant respect in that regard,offer the job you want it or not a take it or leave offer not be faffed about by him.
It won’t be Edwards faffing anyone about. If there is anything in this it will be IL.

If he didn’t agree a contract with Edwards he had no business in announcing him as coach for 2020.
Its a shame you have no way of proving that. Edwards was at the press conference, he said he was coming, you can't turn that onto IL.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 am
DaveO wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:03 am

Its a shame you have no way of proving that. Edwards was at the press conference, he said he was coming, you can't turn that onto IL.
It's a shame you didn't read the thread a bit more carefully before commenting. It was Fozzieskem who said no contract had been signed earlier in the thread. I was responding to him saying IF this was the case IL had no business in announcing him as coach for 2020.

IF Fozzie is right and Edwards doesn't come, then that will be my opinion.

As it is if you read my first and other posts in this thread you will see I am sceptical of the notion he won't come and that statements made by Edwards are being blown out of proportion.