Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mickw

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by Mickw »

Ask yourselves this,why would Edward's come back to RL when his stock is so high in union,
unions awash with corporate money and over in league the games on its arse,with teams going to the wall all over the place.
Wigans recruitment policy is at complete odds with the appointment of Edward's. So what's the agenda.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mickw wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm Ask yourselves this,why would Edward's come back to RL when his stock is so high in union,
unions awash with corporate money and over in league the games on its arse,with teams going to the wall all over the place.
Wigans recruitment policy is at complete odds with the appointment of Edward's. So what's the agenda.
Getting blood out of a rock easier than positivity from a RL Fan haha.

The games on its arse but the sal cap has gone up this year, we have had a bunch of NRL assuies coming across that arnt journeyman this year, SL has taken back control (slexit?). Clubs going bust is due to mismanagement of resources by the board it can happen in any sport.

RLs biggest issue is its current overly negative fan base (myself included some days) why would a neutral turn up if the fans base hasnt nothing good to say about the sport.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Well it crossed my mind that maybe the timing of the prodical sons return coincided with lenagans agenda to reshape superleague. Now it's time to brush it under the carpet.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:30 pm
Mickw wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:19 pm Ask yourselves this,why would Edward's come back to RL when his stock is so high in union,
Getting blood out of a rock easier than positivity from a RL Fan haha.

The games on its arse but the sal cap has gone up this year, we have had a bunch of NRL assuies coming across that arnt journeyman this year, SL has taken back control (slexit?). Clubs going bust is due to mismanagement of resources by the board it can happen in any sport.

RLs biggest issue is its current overly negative fan base (myself included some days) why would a neutral turn up if the fans base hasnt nothing good to say about the sport.
I agree with this and i am one of those people too it seems. I used to be a massive advocate for RL i would tell people to watch it who havent and be really proud to support it.

The big question is what has actually changed?

It does feel like the RL community in general across all fans have lost a bit of faith in the game, and i cant honestly say its a single thing that is the reason i no longer think its the best sport on the planet

I think if you boil everything away the product just isnt as exciting anymore - i used to watch games and lose track of time - now i find a few minutes in im distracted by other things i watch it in the same way i used to watch football in "its on so ill keep tabs". I watch less and less outside Wigan matches were i used to watch all the matches that were on.

If i had to pin it to an area for me theres 2 things that have changed that have reduced the spectacle;

1) Lack of intensity: Matches just arent intense they feel like they have nothing riding on them and the sanitation of the biff means you dont even get flashpoints like you used to that spice things up.

2) Flat League: When i was growing up it was the big 4, Bradford/Leeds/Saints/Wigan - other teams had spells but they were the big 4. They had the best players and were the forces of the league - what that meant was yes you got a lot of games were youd expect these big 4 to win, but you were also guarenteed 8 brilliant games of the heavyweights of the league. The minor teams victories also felt like they meant more wakefield beating Wigan for example would be a great scalp. Now the league is very even, some may say thats a good thing, i dont think so when everyteam can beat every team it only works if thats because the standard is high, problem is the standard of the best has come down to the lower teams rather than up to the top. This is proven by despite the changes only 4 teams have still won the Superleague the big 4, so the lower teams havent got good enough to beat the best, the best have just got less consistent and can be more easily beaten by the worst.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

When a big city team like Bradford can go to the wall and can't find anyone to invest in it tells you all you need to know about the state of RL.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mickw wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:21 pm When a big city team like Bradford can go to the wall and can't find anyone to invest in it tells you all you need to know about the state of RL.
If they hadn't had bought their success and signed Iestyn Harris they wouldn't have gone tits up the first time
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:09 pm
Mickw wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:21 pm When a big city team like Bradford can go to the wall and can't find anyone to invest in it tells you all you need to know about the state of RL.
If they hadn't had bought their success and signed Iestyn Harris they wouldn't have gone tits up the first time
this is right, they followed our business model from the 80/90's
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Edwards looking for an excuse not to come, maybe used us as a way to raise his profile in RU like the Australian rugby league do to up his cost value mmmmmmmm if so very sad
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam plays down talk from Shaun Edwards casting doubt over Wigan arrival

Wigan Warriors head coach Adrian Lam has insisted speculation over whether Shaun Edwards will indeed succeed him at the club next season is something he isn’t interested in.

Edwards has once again cast doubt over his planned arrival at Wigan in 2020 by giving an interview with the Today programme on Radio 4, discussing ‘when and if’ he takes charge at the reigning Super League champions next season.

“When and if that challenge comes along I’ll be ready to try to answer that challenge,” Edwards said during the interview, before continuing: “If I do a year or two in Wigan or whatever, there’s plenty of time to come back to rugby union.”

But when asked about whether Edwards’ comments may impact on Lam’s own long-term plans, the current Wigan coach remained defiant that he hasn’t been told the plan for him to step aside at the end of this season has changed.

He said: “I’ve not been told any different. I only know what I know at the moment. I don’t know what the rumour is around Shaun or whatever – and I’ve just got to make sure I focus on getting us back to winning ways at Wigan and not letting any of the outside influences matter. I’ve got to focus on me and I haven’t heard anything else.”

When asked if he has considered the possibility of staying at Wigan for more than one season, Lam insisted: “I haven’t considered anything. I haven’t spoken to anyone about it and I’m not interested in talking about it. I’m contracted for one year at the moment, that’s where I sit, and talking about that will detract from what my role is here and now.”

It is not the first time Edwards’ planned arrival has been thrown into question by the man himself. Earlier this year, Edwards admitted that if Lam was a roaring success with Wigan in 2019, he may not arrive as planned.

That was played down by Wigan owner Ian Lenagan – but it appears as though the topic has reared its head once again.

http://www.totalrl.com/adrian-lam-plays ... n-arrival/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Shaun hasn't signed anything to tie him to the club, so he can do what he likes.