McCormack to leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

McCormack to leave Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ Welfare and Education Manager Steve McCormack is set to leave the club to take up a role with Rugby League Cares.

Having been with Wigan since October 2014, Steve has led the club’s welfare and education programme. The highly-popular 46-year old who coached Scotland, Salford, Widnes and Whitehaven during a successful coaching career, will take up a new role with the independent charity, Rugby League Cares, that plays an important role in the field of player welfare for the wider game.

Wigan Warriors, Kris Radlinski: “Steve has done a wonderful job and has been rewarded with a great opportunity, one that we couldn’t stand in the way of, to progress his career with RL Cares. He leaves with our very best wishes.”

On his decision to take up a role with Rugby League Cares, Steve McCormack said: “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time with Wigan Warriors, my hometown club. It’s been an extremely difficult decision to make but I feel like I’m ready for a new challenge and I’m excited by what lies ahead working for such an important organisation as Rugby League Cares.”

Steve will be joining the charity in March from Wigan Warriors, where his work as Player Welfare Manager has seen the Betfred Super League champions become recognised as one of the most progressive clubs in British sport in the welfare field.

RL Cares Head of Player Welfare Emma Rosewarne said: “This is a hugely important appointment for Rugby League which underlines RL Cares’s commitment to providing first class levels of service and support to the playing community.

“We are looking forward to harnessing Steve’s exceptional experience and abilities to help players go on to have fulfilling and rewarding lives once their playing days are over.

“His role is broad and far-reaching: as well as supporting current players, Steve will be there for former players who are accessing support from organisations such as Sporting Chance.

“The independence of RL Cares means the support we are able to provide players is not unduly influenced by any breakdown in the relationship with their club, such as suspension or contractual dispute.

“We would like to thank Wigan Warriors for their understanding in allowing Steve to take up this new role and for the club’s continued unswerving commitment to player welfare.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... J4GFaQp.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: McCormack to leave Wigan

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Good luck to Steve he's a top guy and the right person for this job.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Gutted about this, but would like to wish Steve the very best of luck for the future 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Great guy I am sure he will be about still. A good rugby man.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame