Let’s Start A Proper Debate

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Let’s Start A Proper Debate

Post by jaws1 »

This team speaks of Breheney ,Hollingsworth Melling etc when we got relegated in 1980.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

I agree the squad is too big. We have 36 players registered to the first team. Wire and Saints both have 30, meaning they're spreading their cap out over fewer players.

Saints seem to have managed a good balance of bringing through youth players without bloating the squad and can therefore still make key signings if and when needed. Probably because they don't hang on to average youth players just because they came through the system.

Now please excuse me while I go and bleach my mouth for praising Saints.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jaws1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 pm This team speaks of Breheney ,Hollingsworth Melling etc when we got relegated in 1980.
I wish our forwards were that tough.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agree about the squad size. I reckon Joe Shorrocks has more chance of making it as a SL player than his namesake. It would be nice to see Mullen, Smith, and Smithies get some game time.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Woody1989 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm I agree the squad is too big. We have 36 players registered to the first team. Wire and Saints both have 30, meaning they're spreading their cap out over fewer players.
Not necessarily, only the top 25 highest paid players at each club count against the cap plus any players that play in a Salary Cap Relevant Match, unless they are under 21or have a salary cap value of less than £20,000. So some of our squad players don't count.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We will be fine. We will be into our stride by Good Friday, and all this hysteria will be forgotten.
What we are seeing at the moment is an adjustment to a new regime and approach, after a very long time doing the same things and listening to the same voices. Plus, of course we missed 9 potential starters last week end.
This group of players can clearly defend - we have seen plenty of evidence for that over the last few years. Once that is cracked and we get nearer full strength we will not only be competitive, but be very strong. If we take the best periods of play we have seen glimpses of already, and extend them to the full 80 we will be one of the top teams again this year.
My one concern with the ins and outs remains the loss of Bateman, as he so often made the difference in tight games. I think we need Manfredi fit, who has a similar impact.
They have done plenty over the years to have earned our trust and patience.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 pm
Woody1989 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm I agree the squad is too big. We have 36 players registered to the first team. Wire and Saints both have 30, meaning they're spreading their cap out over fewer players.
Not necessarily, only the top 25 highest paid players at each club count against the cap plus any players that play in a Salary Cap Relevant Match, unless they are under 21or have a salary cap value of less than £20,000. So some of our squad players don't count.
Good point. I'm not going to pretend that I know exactly who the top 25 highest paid players are but the likes of Jake Shorrocks and Liam Forsyth are both over 21 years old, have played competitive matches, I would imagine are on more than £20K (although again I don't know for certain) and I'm not convinced that they're worth keeping on board.

Quick question, in 2017 we applied for dispensation on the cap due to our injury problems so that we could register more youth players to the first team. Why did we need to if they were under 21 and on less than £20K?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 pm
But they’re still paid a wage though no?

Still cash that has to be found from somewhere and clearly at a time when the club are cost cutting it maybe time to look at the size of the squad and see if it is too big
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The club are clearly and demonstrably continuing to invest massively in all the teams. The accounts show that the wage bill for players and staff is among the biggest in the league. This is publicly available information.
Our juniors remain the benchmark for any club, our women’s team do us proud and we spend up to (and beyond, occasionally, sadly) the full cap.