19-man squad to face Giants

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

19-man squad to face Giants

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names his Wigan Warriors 19-man squad to face Huddersfield Giants on Friday

Hamlin, Flower and Manfredi return to action

Wigan Warriors vs Huddersfield Giants – Friday 8th March, DW Stadium, K.O. 7:45pm

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam has named his 19-man squad to face Huddersfield Giants this Friday (K.O. 7:45pm).

The visitors will arrive at the DW Stadium with no wins from their first four games while the hosts have lost their last two Betfred Super League fixtures.

Speaking ahead of the game, Adrian Lam said “On video they’re playing well. They are probably an unfortunate team that could have had different results like us. We understand that they are also trying to get their performances up so that’s going to be a massive challenge for us.

“We’ve trained really well every week to be honest, but the results haven’t really reflected that. We’ve crossed a bridge this week and I think you’ll see a different mentality on Friday night.”

In injury news, Wigan this week welcome back winger Dom Manfredi, who has not made a competitive start for the Cherry and Whites since last October’s Grand Final. Ben Flower and Gabe Hamlin also return to the 19-man squad.

Joe Burgess is still on the comeback trail from a knee injury (ACL) sustained in April 2018, but Lam has eluded to his return in the next couple of weeks. Joe Greenwood again misses out due to concussion.

Wigan 19-man squad to face Huddersfield Giants

Joe Bullock, Tony Clubb, Morgan Escaré, Ben Flower, Oliver Gildart, Gabe Hamlin, Chris Hankinson, Zak Hardaker, Willie Isa, Tommy Leuluai, Dom Manfredi, Liam Marshall, Romain Navarrete, Sean O’Loughlin, Liam Paisley, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Taulima Tautai, George Williams.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... eLw9SkE.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: 19-man squad to face Giants

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Great to see Manfredi back. I think Manfredi and Davies provide a good balance when they are both on form. A bit worrrying that Greenwood needs another week to get over his concussion, but they seem to be far more careful about that these days.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Interesting to see that Davies and Sammut are missing out. Is Jarrod injured or has Lammy already decided that Tommy and Sam are the best combination? Perhaps Morgan will be on he bench. I agree that it's a worry that Greenwood is missing again, hope he's O.K. and of course it's best that we're careful with this type of injury. If Sarge is doubtful I'd like to see Hankinson given a chance. He was unlucky last season and I'm hopeful he has something to offer.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If lammy doesnt think sammut is up to it why dont we release him and get josh woods back from leigh....... pointless too keep him otherwise imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think Woods is better than Sammut.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Woods is signed up long term so whats the point of more passengers who arnt gonna play?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 pm Woods is signed up long term so whats the point of more passengers who arnt gonna play?
Well, indeed. Especially as you get the sense that maybe Smith has overtaken him in the pecking order.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:17 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 pm Woods is signed up long term so whats the point of more passengers who arnt gonna play?
Well, indeed. Especially as you get the sense that maybe Smith has overtaken him in the pecking order.
Woods did well considering he was dumped in the deepend.

Woods and smith 2021 half back pairing.... im calling it now 😂.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

not putting down which side id play them but as a team id like to see

Fullback - Escare
Wings - Manfredi/Marshall
Centre - Gildart/Hardaker
2nd row - Paisley/ Isa
Half - Williams/Tommy
Hooker - Powell
Loose - O'loughlin
Prop - Bullock/Clubb

Bench - Navarette/Tautai/Hamlin/Flower

Start with our bigger props as they tire switch to Nav and Tautai as still both larger and hard to handle then later on get Hamlin and Flower on as there footwork and speed would play havoc with a tire defence.

we will probably get

Fullback - Hardaker
Wings - Manfredi/Marshall
Centre - Gildart/sarge
2nd row - Paisley/Isa
Halves - Williams/Tommy
Hooker - Powell
Loose - O'Loughlin
Prop - Flower/Bullock

Bench - Navarette/Club/Hamlin/Tautai
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Hard to see Escaré playing. A luxury we have but can seem to use. Like 5G in Chad
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame