Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:03 am What worries me is that I am told that Giz has not signed a contract!
Why has today's press release come as a surprise to anyone?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Caboosegg

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm
Caboosegg wrote:Just to play devils advocate i know everyone likes a good IL bash but what happens if this is just Edwards trying to fish a better contract?
So you think negotiating in public by basically saying he is looking for another job is the style of a man who only supposedly signed for Wigan no sooner than 2020 out of a sense of duty to honour his current deal?

Then he will have deliberately trashed the reputation for integrity and honour he has cultivated and will have burnt all bridges with respect to Wigan if the result is IL announcing Edwards wanted more money and was making a load of excuses not to sign.

If anything his comments suggest to me he is making it plain why if this does not happen it isn’t down to him.

Of course the bottom line in this still remains that Wigan didn’t get him to sign a contract. Had they done so then he could not be doing as you suggest and negotiating via the media for a better deal.

Why Edwards of all people would embark on such a course of action anyway is beyond comprehension. It would be the behaviour of a slime ball (best couple of words I could think to describe such behaviour). If we were talking about Brexit and Boris Johnson I’d say anything was possible but back in the real world most people are not such duplicitous barstewards and what you see is what you get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But he wont of trashed his rep, RU wont give two damns if he breaks an agreement with RL and his stock is based off achievements.

Im not saying this isnt all IL and KR but the timing a bit suspect, his rep has increased then suddenly 'hi everyone come have a bidding war for me'
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

This whole situation is a mess. I've defended Lenagan and Rads in the past but over the last year or so their decision making has been atrocious.

Signing Shaun Edwards as coach would have been a masterstroke. Not only a brilliant coach but also a national name guaranteed to draw interest in RL and Wigan. But somehow Lenagan didn't think it was necessary to tie Edwards down to a contract?

Maybe Edwards is trying to negotiate himself a better deal, but if the club weren't smart enough to tie him down last year when they could have done then he has every right to advertise his services to the highest bidder. By not giving him a contract the club is taking him for granted and making it look like they don't really want him. Edwards will be in high demand in RU, why on earth would he put up with Lenagan disrespecting him like that?

Having said that, we've only seen Edwards's side of it, let's see what statement (if any) the club choose to make.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am
Caboosegg wrote:Just to play devils advocate i know everyone likes a good IL bash but what happens if this is just Edwards trying to fish a better contract?
So you think negotiating in public by basically saying he is looking for another job is the style of a man who only supposedly signed for Wigan no sooner than 2020 out of a sense of duty to honour his current deal?

Then he will have deliberately trashed the reputation for integrity and honour he has cultivated and will have burnt all bridges with respect to Wigan if the result is IL announcing Edwards wanted more money and was making a load of excuses not to sign.

If anything his comments suggest to me he is making it plain why if this does not happen it isn’t down to him.

Of course the bottom line in this still remains that Wigan didn’t get him to sign a contract. Had they done so then he could not be doing as you suggest and negotiating via the media for a better deal.

Why Edwards of all people would embark on such a course of action anyway is beyond comprehension. It would be the behaviour of a slime ball (best couple of words I could think to describe such behaviour). If we were talking about Brexit and Boris Johnson I’d say anything was possible but back in the real world most people are not such duplicitous barstewards and what you see is what you get.

But he wont of trashed his rep, RU wont give two damns if he breaks an agreement with RL and his stock is based off achievements.

Im not saying this isnt all IL and KR but the timing a bit suspect, his rep has increased then suddenly 'hi everyone come have a bidding war for me'
You make a valid point however my take is i refuse to believe Edwards would of gone through the public "unveiling" as new coach and the fanfare that went with it if he was just after a larger chunk in RU. In fact as you say RU dont give a hoot about league so if Edwards were to play games you would think he would use an RU team as his bait rather than a league team as its probably a league team wouldnt be able to match wages of an RU team anyway so it would be a bit of a fruitless endeavour.

To me the comment about him finding it odd that Wigan didnt give him a contract is a shot across the bow to Wigan and rightly so it sounds like another complete mess by the Wigan management. Rads needs to go ASAP for me is so far out his depth its now really hurting the club
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 am

You make a valid point however my take is i refuse to believe Edwards would of gone through the public "unveiling" as new coach and the fanfare that went with it if he was just after a larger chunk in RU. In fact as you say RU dont give a hoot about league so if Edwards were to play games you would think he would use an RU team as his bait rather than a league team as its probably a league team wouldnt be able to match wages of an RU team anyway so it would be a bit of a fruitless endeavour.

To me the comment about him finding it odd that Wigan didnt give him a contract is a shot across the bow to Wigan and rightly so it sounds like another complete mess by the Wigan management. Rads needs to go ASAP for me is so far out his depth its now really hurting the club
First Mays Treachery and now Lenagans. Time for a revolution, where is my gilet jaune?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

So which coach are we getting from the championship?
THE JUDGE

Post by THE JUDGE »

Wintergreen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm Absolutely unbelievable.

Why on earth hold a press conference to announce the signing of a coach who you haven't actually signed?

Shocking.
This whole shambles smacks of DONALD TRUMP cos we all know how he would agree with the way IL is managing this fiasco
Following a Judicial Review of my computer, I hope I have now resolved my inability to participate
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Surely there must be a statement from the club this week. I know IL is probably a busy guy, but hopefully KR isn't just sat in the office pretending nothing is wrong.

The club must have Edwards phone number, just give him a call and sort something before another RU team gets in touch.

Its one bad thing after another with our club, we are struggling due to the lack of signings but just when you think it can't get any worse this happens.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Club Statement:

Wigan Warriors are aware of quotes from Shaun Edwards regarding his future contractual arrangements.
Following the conclusion of the Six Nations and Shaun’s comments, we have been seeking dialogue with Shaun directly since Sunday to clarify to Wigan his intentions.

Read more at https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... XiT43pg.99
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Is that even a statement?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/