Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by pearsy »

Was it just to get the season tickets up?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm Absolutely unbelievable.

Why on earth hold a press conference to announce the signing of a coach who you haven't actually signed?

Shocking.
To me the bigger question has always been why on earth would a club as big Wigan be forced to wait for 18 months?

It was then and remains a ridiculous decision all the rest of it is neither here nor there,Wigan are supposedly the biggest club in the world ao why the hell should Wigan wait?

I don’t care who is he,if the person you approach can’t take the reins in a reasonable timeframe then move on to the next name
I don’t know why you mention the wait. That is what Wigan decided to do. You might not agree with it but that really is not the issue here. The reasons for the wait were stated clearly at the time.

The issues here are of competence and integrity. Announcing a coach whom you either never intended to take up the post or have managed to lose because you were too dim witted enough to send a contact to is appalling. To suggest all this is neither here nor there is as astonishing as the situation we find ourselves in.
But the wait is fundamental to the situatarion we find ourselves in no other sports club has ever to my knowledge waited so long for their next Appiontment to be made it clueless and inept.

I suggested no contract had been signed aa couple of weeks back,no special knowledge just sifting through post after post in my spare time so this isn’t a surprise to me,of course if the club hasn’t waited this wouldn’t be an issue,you’re right of course this is down to the club but the second someone came up with the idea of waiting then cock ups became very real possibility and the way the club is being run at the moment well anything is possible
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Do people honestly believe that there has beenj no dialogue between Lenagan, Radlinski, Lam and Edwards in the past few months?
Get in the real world.
Something is obviously going on, and my guess is we'll find out about it sooner rather than later now that Edwards is on a short temporary break from his Welsh job.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pearsy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:18 pm Was it just to get the season tickets up?
I can’t believe that surely in any case it didn’t really work did it,I’m now aware that the club have employed Baldrick and his cunning plans?
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:22 pm Do people honestly believe that there has beenj no dialogue between Lenagan, Radlinski, Lam and Edwards in the past few months?
Get in the real world.
Something is obviously going on, and my guess is we'll find out about it sooner rather than later now that Edwards is on a short temporary break from his Welsh job.
I don't think anyone believes that. Isn't that what makes all of this even more baffling?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: To me the bigger question has always been why on earth would a club as big Wigan be forced to wait for 18 months?

It was then and remains a ridiculous decision all the rest of it is neither here nor there,Wigan are supposedly the biggest club in the world ao why the hell should Wigan wait?

I don’t care who is he,if the person you approach can’t take the reins in a reasonable timeframe then move on to the next name
I don’t know why you mention the wait. That is what Wigan decided to do. You might not agree with it but that really is not the issue here. The reasons for the wait were stated clearly at the time.

The issues here are of competence and integrity. Announcing a coach whom you either never intended to take up the post or have managed to lose because you were too dim witted enough to send a contact to is appalling. To suggest all this is neither here nor there is as astonishing as the situation we find ourselves in.
But the wait is fundamental to the situatarion we find ourselves in no other sports club has ever to my knowledge waited so long for their next Appiontment to be made it clueless and inept.

I suggested no contract had been signed aa couple of weeks back,no special knowledge just sifting through post after post in my spare time so this isn’t a surprise to me,of course if the club hasn’t waited this wouldn’t be an issue,you’re right of course this is down to the club but the second someone came up with the idea of waiting then cock ups became very real possibility and the way the club is being run at the moment well anything is possible
The wait and the merit of deciding to actually wait has nothing to do with the situation we face now. Unless you think Edwards is a liar where we find ourselves now is down entirely to lack of competence and/or integrity shown by IL and KR post the decision to go for this approach.

There was nothing inevitable about it and once it was announced everyone accepted the deal at face value. Why would you not? Due to hindsight?

Why didn’t they get him to sign a contract? Why did they say it can be done later? Why talk about a three year deal at the press conference? IL was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

So given all that, On what planet does a supposedly competent businessman like IL not get his man to sign on the dotted line? I can foresee a load of absolute bullshit emanating from IL’s mouth in the coming days and some people will swallow it (not suggesting you will be one by the way).
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:37 pm
fozzieskem wrote:

The wait and the merit of deciding to actually wait has nothing to do with the situation we face now. Unless you think Edwards is a liar where we find ourselves now is down entirely to lack of competence and/or integrity shown by IL and KR post the decision to go for this approach.

There was nothing inevitable about it and once it was announced everyone accepted the deal at face value. Why would you not? Due to hindsight?

Why didn’t they get him to sign a contract? Why did they say it can be done later? Why talk about a three year deal at the press conference? IL was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

So given all that, On what planet does a supposedly competent businessman like IL not get his man to sign on the dotted line? I can foresee a load of absolute bullshit emanating from IL’s mouth in the coming days and some people will swallow it (not suggesting you will be one by the way).
Oh no Dave don’t misunderstand me,I admire Edwards for sticking to a contract(ironic given he hasn’t got one at Wigan)but I question the benefit of waiting for him,and that is down fault fairly and squarely down to our glorious leader and to me it’s that wait that this F up has been allowed to happen.

I’ve no doubt some nonsense will spew forth about a “misunderstanding,the cat ate it,it’s in the boot of my car,etc take your pick but you’re bang on before you even breath a word you get a contract drawn up,ready to be signed in front of cameras, it makes no sense in any way shape or form.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Just to play devils advocate i know everyone likes a good IL bash but what happens if this is just Edwards trying to fish a better contract? Lots of media comments and then one that basically says come on guys offer me your best offer to everyone.

He obviously atleast verbally agreed a contract with Wigan and it is extremely bad business nothing was signed but there is always 2 sides to every story and the only person benifiting from this one is Edwards.

The timing is also suspect just as Wales win the grandslam and everyone raving how that was down to their defense... coached by Edwards. His stock and Value must have sky rocketed in RU
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:Just to play devils advocate i know everyone likes a good IL bash but what happens if this is just Edwards trying to fish a better contract?
So you think negotiating in public by basically saying he is looking for another job is the style of a man who only supposedly signed for Wigan no sooner than 2020 out of a sense of duty to honour his current deal?

Then he will have deliberately trashed the reputation for integrity and honour he has cultivated and will have burnt all bridges with respect to Wigan if the result is IL announcing Edwards wanted more money and was making a load of excuses not to sign.

If anything his comments suggest to me he is making it plain why if this does not happen it isn’t down to him.

Of course the bottom line in this still remains that Wigan didn’t get him to sign a contract. Had they done so then he could not be doing as you suggest and negotiating via the media for a better deal.

Why Edwards of all people would embark on such a course of action anyway is beyond comprehension. It would be the behaviour of a slime ball (best couple of words I could think to describe such behaviour). If we were talking about Brexit and Boris Johnson I’d say anything was possible but back in the real world most people are not such duplicitous barstewards and what you see is what you get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote:
fozzieskem wrote: To me the bigger question has always been why on earth would a club as big Wigan be forced to wait for 18 months?

Man City waited years for Pep.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐