Wigan v Hudds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
User avatar
EagleEyePie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by EagleEyePie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Have to wonder whether Lam has come in with grand ideas and tried to change too much too soon. Can anyone remember a coach that has joined a club specifically promising a great brand of rugby who was actually successful? It's always seems to be a risky claim to make.

However, as much as you could look at the coach because that's where the biggest change has happened, there is absolutely no way a team should go from being the strongest at the end of one season to probably the worst in the league within the space of a few months. A lot of responsibility has to be on of the players that's for sure.

ancientnloyal
Posts: 13467
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by ancientnloyal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Players can’t be responsible if you look at their ages... our recruitment and sentiment is to blame!

I agree on players being responsible if we don’t mention their age though. The club being responsible? Who have we replaced Bitcon with? It’s like Leigh signing up Higham as head nutritionist or whatever because he dabbled in dodgy gyms... they’re doing just fine aren’t they losing to York.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by Caboosegg » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

EagleEyePie wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:45 pm
Have to wonder whether Lam has come in with grand ideas and tried to change too much too soon. Can anyone remember a coach that has joined a club specifically promising a great brand of rugby who was actually successful? It's always seems to be a risky claim to make.

However, as much as you could look at the coach because that's where the biggest change has happened, there is absolutely no way a team should go from being the strongest at the end of one season to probably the worst in the league within the space of a few months. A lot of responsibility has to be on of the players that's for sure.
i disagree, we know what alot of these players can do. its the coach's responsibility to get them playing and to motivate them when the going is tough. look at Man United and the difference sacking Marino has made to the same group of players.
Happy Clapper Season ticket holder

User avatar
wall_of_voodoo
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:51 am

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by wall_of_voodoo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Say what you want and the trolls are on tonight saying " I told you so".

Wigan's problem is the squad it too thinly spread. We have a huge squad spent to the limit on the cap. Half of the squad is currently on loan to championship teams. The rest (out first team) does not have enough real genuine quality to make up for the glaring problems in the team and the way we want to play.

Get rid of the deadwood and those not going to make it and buy one or two real quality and cut this huge squad of mediocrity
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

We never lose any games
We just don't win them (always the refs fault anyway)

DaveO
Posts: 13841
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by DaveO » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:09 pm

It has been blindingly obvious for more than one season that when Lockers and/or Sam Tomkins didn't play the team looked clueless on the pitch.

Well at the same time as we lost Bateman (inevitably) our chairman decided to get rid of Tomkins and he had already got rid of Mcilorum and gave the worst no 9 we have ever had that I can remember a three year deal. Lockers is past his sell by date unfortunately.

When these decisions were made individually the IL worshippers flocked to his defence. There was always an excuse. Well now there isn't.

As to Lam when Wane announced he was leaving plenty suggested Lam as the new coach before the Lam / Edwards thing came off and I never understood why given his lack of experience. Maybe he has tried to changer too much too soon but when I saw that team sheet tonight I thought, fair enough. Davis has been off form, Sammut was dropped and given the injuries to Greenwood and Faz it was probably our best available 17.

The fact that it WAS probably our best available 17 is the fault of IL and Rads, not Lam.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by Caboosegg » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 pm

DaveO wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:09 pm
It has been blindingly obvious for more than one season that when Lockers and/or Sam Tomkins didn't play the team looked clueless on the pitch.

Well at the same time as we lost Bateman (inevitably) our chairman decided to get rid of Tomkins and he had already got rid of Mcilorum and gave the worst no 9 we have ever had that I can remember a three year deal. Lockers is past his sell by date unfortunately.

When these decisions were made individually the IL worshippers flocked to his defence. There was always an excuse. Well now there isn't.

As to Lam when Wane announced he was leaving plenty suggested Lam as the new coach before the Lam / Edwards thing came off and I never understood why given his lack of experience. Maybe he has tried to changer too much too soon but when I saw that team sheet tonight I thought, fair enough. Davis has been off form, Sammut was dropped and given the injuries to Greenwood and Faz it was probably our best available 17.

The fact that it WAS probably our best available 17 is the fault of IL and Rads, not Lam.
but that 17 should not have lost to Huddersfield, it is not a bad 17 despite what you are trying to say, sure it may not be up to Stains and warringtons team sheet but it is certainly alot better than Londons and Huddersfields.

i see Lam is blaming the WCC in his after game interview!!
Happy Clapper Season ticket holder

User avatar
EagleEyePie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by EagleEyePie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Caboosegg wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm
i disagree, we know what alot of these players can do. its the coach's responsibility to get them playing and to motivate them when the going is tough. look at Man United and the difference sacking Marino has made to the same group of players.
It's a reasonable point but Mourinho didn't take over the champions. In fact he didn't take over a particularly good side at all. It's not like their performances suddenly dropped off a cliff, which is what has happened to us. If our problems are purely down to Lam then he must have made some utterly horrendous cock ups already because after such a small amount of time the players will easily fall back into the habits of the last 7 years. I'd say there's more too it than just the coaching change, but I do believe it's possible that maybe just one or two things have exacerbated problems that already existed. Just look at our dismal run of form in 2017, or even our run of losses when Wane announced his departure.

DaveO
Posts: 13841
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by DaveO » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Caboosegg wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 pm
DaveO wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:09 pm
It has been blindingly obvious for more than one season that when Lockers and/or Sam Tomkins didn't play the team looked clueless on the pitch.

Well at the same time as we lost Bateman (inevitably) our chairman decided to get rid of Tomkins and he had already got rid of Mcilorum and gave the worst no 9 we have ever had that I can remember a three year deal. Lockers is past his sell by date unfortunately.

When these decisions were made individually the IL worshippers flocked to his defence. There was always an excuse. Well now there isn't.

As to Lam when Wane announced he was leaving plenty suggested Lam as the new coach before the Lam / Edwards thing came off and I never understood why given his lack of experience. Maybe he has tried to changer too much too soon but when I saw that team sheet tonight I thought, fair enough. Davis has been off form, Sammut was dropped and given the injuries to Greenwood and Faz it was probably our best available 17.

The fact that it WAS probably our best available 17 is the fault of IL and Rads, not Lam.
but that 17 should not have lost to Huddersfield, it is not a bad 17 despite what you are trying to say, sure it may not be up to Stains and warringtons team sheet but it is certainly alot better than Londons and Huddersfields.

i see Lam is blaming the WCC in his after game interview!!
Well Lam can say what he likes. He's not going to say he can't coach and his players are crap in an interview.

I made a post on here preseason saying I thought beyond what was our first 17 we were very thinly stretched and we are.

Our hooker is Powell who made Hudds hooker look international class. There was one point in the 2nd half before he got injured I saw him move the ball right when we were stacked on the left and you could almost see a collective groan from the players. He is clueless.

We have Greenwood and Faz out and we are reduced to playing a junior player and Isa FFS. I don't know why Sarge wasn't playing, injured or dropped, but regardless he's bang average as well and he'd normally be a first choice centre.

If you name our first 17 who within it do other teams covet? The answer is Greenwood and that is basically it.

Catalans fancied MCillorum and Tomkins and IL was stupid enough to let them go.

Lam is on a hiding to nothing but yes, maybe he should have stuck to Waneball and introduced changes gradually but he's inherited a far worse team than Wane ever had.

moto748
Posts: 1940
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by moto748 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 am

If we had players running lines off the ball-carrier and a pass had gone to ground, or even been intercepted, at least we could have said, we are trying things in attack. But there was none of that, and defensive organisation looks as bad as ever.

shaunedwardsfanclub
Posts: 5323
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Re: Wigan v Hudds

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 am

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm
Say what you want and the trolls are on tonight saying " I told you so".

Wigan's problem is the squad it too thinly spread. We have a huge squad spent to the limit on the cap. Half of the squad is currently on loan to championship teams. The rest (out first team) does not have enough real genuine quality to make up for the glaring problems in the team and the way we want to play.

Get rid of the deadwood and those not going to make it and buy one or two real quality and cut this huge squad of mediocrity
But not all of the squad count against the cap only the top 25 and we are at the salary cap limit. It will be interesting to see who is dropped next week, Davies and Nav this week but some of our team are picked week in week out despite playing poorly!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards

Post Reply