Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Wane

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We need to move heaven and earth and get him back. I admit that at times I slagged him off but he is years ahead of Lam in motivating players and playing to our strengths.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Re: Wane

Post by medlocke »

No we don't, Jesus Christ get a grip, He has gone get over it
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

So you think he'd manage without Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton?

Wigan might ask but I doubt he'd come. He's got more sense.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Do I think he would be as successful as last season? No. Do I think he would do better than Lam with this group of players? Yes. We need a clear out starting with the pack, we have the worst in the league. Wane to his credit realised that they had limitations and therefore coached them to generate quick play the balls and give our backs the room to play in, that has now dried up and our creativity has dropped through the floor.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

This is a case of its always greener on tother side of the street isn’t it?

Wane without doubt knew what he had with these lads,not the best by any means but he knew their limitations inside out and coached them to their and beyond the strengths,peppered with a little bit of greatness in the side with certain players no longer at the club.

Lam clearly does not.

IL has signed championship players for the most part you can have one or two in of course but you have to sign players somewhere in the class of what’s gone and the club year on year haven’t and we are seeing the fruits of that investment now.

Will Edwards if he comes get anything else out of this lot,no I don’t think so a clear out is needed followed by a long and expensive retooling of the side.

Would I have Wane back,yes I never really got the impression we as fans got the truth of why he left,would Wane come back,,I highly doubt it.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 am So you think he'd manage without Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton?

Yes DaveO because you forget he Did that multiple times through his time at Wigan

Tomkins went to the NRL and then was injured
Batemen got a long ban and a long injury

we did fine at those times, Sutton although good did not have any major impact on the team.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

we didnt win anything with Tomkins and Bateman missing, did better than this garbage though. Least we defended, this is the worst defensive structure since Millward
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:32 am So you think he'd manage without Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton?

Yes DaveO because you forget he Did that multiple times through his time at Wigan

Tomkins went to the NRL and then was injured
Batemen got a long ban and a long injury

we did fine at those times, Sutton although good did not have any major impact on the team.
We won nothing in the two seasons Tomkins was at the NZ warriors(2014 and 2015) and we nothing in 2017 either when Bateman was out for three moths (we bear Cronulla in Feb before he was injured in March but that was it).

As to Sutton he made a big contribution after he came back from his injury to our success last season and to suggest otherwise is doing down a player to make a point.

The idea we could bring Wane back and the team we have now would suddenly improve without these players and McIllorum as well is IMO pretty fanciful. I think he saw the writing on the wall and decided to quit while he had a chance of leaving on a high, which he did.
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

I much as I like Wane, I don't think bringing him back would be the answer.

For me the problem is down to this ridiculous position we're in where Lam is the interim coach. This squad is still Wanes and if any other coach wants to take Wigan forward it needs a major overhaul. Lam should have been given the ability to make his own signings but Lenagan was never going to back an interim coach with money.

None of this squad is Lams and when you couple that with the fact that he's only here for a year then the current players probably don't see the point of changing the way they play and learning his system.

Surely, after all the players that have left, we can't be spent up to the cap? If not, it might be worth letting Lam bring in a player or 2 that can play his style of rugby.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Well the next step is simple. Give the job to John Winder as he was Wanes right hand man for a number of years. If he fails to be able to sort the mess by reverting back to the only way Wigan can play now from what some fans think, then there it is more to this shambles
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: