Adrian Lam thinks attitude could be to blame for Wigan Warriors' poor form

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam thinks attitude could be to blame for Wigan Warriors' poor form

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam believes Wigan’s Grand Final triumph last year may have softened the players’ attitude.

By his own admission he was “rattled” by their 14-6 defeat to Huddersfield last Friday night – their third Super League defeat on the bounce since the World Club Challenge loss to Sydney Roosters.
And the coach thinks the Warriors’ title-charge last year could have caused complacency to creep into the players’ mindsets.

“Maybe it’s an attitude that we deserve to win without doing the effort that goes with it,” he said. “There may be a bit of a hangover in terms of them being happy with last year, the Grand Final, and they think we can turn up and win every game which you can’t do when they’re the premiers and everyone wants to beat you – that’s all I can put it down to.”

After successive defeats to Hull FC, London and Huddersfield – all of whom had been struggling for wins – the Warriors’ task doesn’t get any easier, with a trip to Warrington this Friday night. Lam asked the players to take a “good look at themselves” over the weekend – and didn’t exclude himself from needing self-reflection – before they start their preparation today.

“I guess if ever we’re going to play Warrington it’s the right time, a challenge for the players to turn it around,” he said. “All we can do to fix it is stay focussed with our preparation, make sure everyone is on board – get a few players back to brighten up the side.

“It’d be more of a concern if we were distant in training, and there were signs there – but there are no signs at all. “In every game so far, we felt we could win, we haven’t been blown away by anyone – which is a positive, I guess – we’ll reassess and go again.”

He will check on injuries to Joe Greenwood (concussion assessment), Dan Sarginson (thigh) and Dom Manfredi (teeth) today to see whether they could be fit to face the Wolves. Joe Burgess is also nearing closer to a long-awaited return from a knee injury.

Meanwhile, Eight different try scorers helped Wigan under-19s thrash Huddersfield 54-14 at Robin Park on Saturday.

Aiden Roden, Jake Sculthorpe, Harry Rushton, Callum Green, Oscar Stone, Umyla Hanley with two, Amir Bourouh and Ryan Forshaw all crossed the line

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9641544
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Adrian Lam thinks attitude could be to blame for Wigan Warriors' poor form

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Really concerning that Lam seems to be coming up with random excuses all the time it gives me no hope he knows what the actual issue is. After the match it was the WCC hangover now its the last year winning hangover?

This ridiculous idea of having a coach for a set 1 year has backfired completely on us (which any sane person would of known)

If youre at work and someone says this is your new boss, but they will only be your boss for the next 6 months then you will have a completely different boss, how likely are you to give this "temp" boss your all when they try and change things.

Lam has been stitched up by the club to take a bad year, depleted team with the shadow of edwards looming, we could very easily find ourselves in a leeds situation, but with a poorer squad.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Did wane have this issue?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 am Did wane have this issue?
Wane was a completely different scenario though

1) he had better players
2) he had a permanent job - the players had to dance to his tune or essentially they had no future at Wigan if you wanted to play for Wigan you had to 100% commit to Wane or you were out. Lam is going at the end of the year so even if youre frozen out the team for a year youve got a new chance with the new coach come the end of it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 am

1) he had better players
2) he had a permanent job - the players had to dance to his tune or essentially they had no future at Wigan if you wanted to play for Wigan you had to 100% commit to Wane or you were out. Lam is going at the end of the year so even if youre frozen out the team for a year youve got a new chance with the new coach come the end of it
I think that is so wrong ! You make it sound as if he was a tyrant which couldn’t be further from the truth!

Wane always said “you had to be 100% committed to playing for Wigan Warriors” not himself!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 pm

1) he had better players
I think that is so wrong ! You make it sound as if he was a tyrant which couldn’t be further from the truth!

Wane always said “you had to be 100% committed to playing for Wigan Warriors” not himself!!
you misinterpreted my post Josie, i didnt mean that Wane was a tyrant, my point was he was the coach effectively indefinitely at the time, so obviously as a player you have to impress him as coach or you've no future in the team. For example if Wane asked a player to not offload and that was their game (which as coach is his right), they needed to obey Wane because essentially if they didnt then he wouldnt pick them because they arent doing what he said and if the coach isnt leaving you've got to fall in line or move on

thats what i meant
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Lam does seem a little out of his depth,as said the ridiculous idea of having a coach for a year simply doesn’t work,as pretty much all of us said last year the situation is madness I can think of no other sports team that chose to wait for a boss,if he said no or he couldn’t commit then you move on simple as that.

I don’t like this idea of having a go in the media at players,rosy them by all means in private by all means but not in public.

I can only see it getting worse before it gets better,maybe it’s just time to get head down,learn a few media plaudits,excuses call them what yiu will but stop having a go at players it isn’t going to win them over
TWO EYED WARRIOR

Post by TWO EYED WARRIOR »

Lam quoting attitude as an issue is a more of a reflection on himself IMO.

He is the one who is responsible for setting the standards around the club and the culture for which the players buy into and at the moment there isn't one and it is as plain as the nose on your face that the intensity under Wane has completely gone .

Lam needs to wise up fast, if it is his proverbial on the chopping block then he needs to start doing things his way and be ruthless about it he cannot hide behind the temporary appointment or any other excuse
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree that the coach-for-a-year thing is unsatisfactory, but we are where we are. I watched Lam's post-Hudds interview on Wigan TV last night, and I can't say I liked what I heard much.

If there's not already a rift between the squad and the coach, it sounds like we are getting close to one. Am I reading too much into it, or was that other people's impression? Basically it seemed like Lam was saying, "I don't know what more I can do; it's up to the players to pull their fingers out."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

1) he had better players

A coaches job is to motivate his team.. you cant blame players if your failing to motivate them.

Maybe Lenegan needs to sit the squad down and lay down the law.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.