Tonight’s final score

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Tonight’s final score

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, it could have been worse - possibly. Apart from the odd incident, I thought Thaler had a decent game. Isa should never have been sin-binned, nor, probably, should Patton. Momo certainly should have gone for his throttling act and Westwood…………..
Sarge was lucky to still be on the pitch - that yellow could quite easily have been a red. It was deliberate. Think the disciplinary will be worrying - Sarginson, Isa, Greenwood as a minimum.
Positives? Hardaker had his best match but still didn't look that good. I'd play him in the centres and put Morgan at FB. Sammut's tactical kicking was pretty good but I didn't understand why he looked good for the first 10 minutes - disappeared completely from the game for 25 minutes and came and went in the second half. In that position how can you go missing?
Thought MOM was Davies who had a great match. We need to work on clamping - Warrington had watched Huddersfield and killed us with offloads and the tries we conceded from the PTB near the line would look terrible in an Under 11s match.
The next matches don't look promising unless we can convert the 10 minutes that we looked like the proper Wigan into an 80 minute effort.
Lam's comment about this being the 'turning-point' was silly but what else was he going to say? And why would SE even think about coming to coach us?
formulamoto

Post by formulamoto »

agree re morgan and hardaker
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Another generally poor showing,very little creative work.Hardaker excellent defensively but not as quick as he was.I just fail to understand how anyone can praise the team just because they showed effort.Isnt that what they are supposed to do,try their best? We are in a hole that is a fact and we need new blood to get us out of it but i doubt we will get any.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d be amazed if either Sarginson or Greenwood will be playing next week,it was a shoulder charge by greenwood and sarge should have been sent off for his misdemeanour as for Isa,those go for you as well as against I think he should be ok.
doc

Post by doc »

Sarge and Isa were dealt with on the pitch so might get away with sinbinning being sufficient punishment. greenwood's was originally missed by the ref so he may get a ban, but as his knee looked to be in a state the rest may do him good.

Lockers looked to be struggling with all that strapping on his thigh so he may be a doubt for next week.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:29 pm I’d be amazed if either Sarginson or Greenwood will be playing next week,it was a shoulder charge by greenwood and sarge should have been sent off for his misdemeanour as for Isa,those go for you as well as against I think he should be ok.
It was a shoulder charge last week on Manfredi but the disciplinary deemed he’d run into Wardles shoulder!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:29 pm I’d be amazed if either Sarginson or Greenwood will be playing next week,it was a shoulder charge by greenwood and sarge should have been sent off for his misdemeanour as for Isa,those go for you as well as against I think he should be ok.
It was a shoulder charge last week on Manfredi but the disciplinary deemed he’d run into Wardles shoulder!!
What’s more young Dom ran into it low down,I’m surprised they didn’t give him a game out for such a transgression😀

I’ve looked the Greenwood tackle though and he does lead with his shoulder,not by much but I honestly think he’s in for a ban sadly
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:
warriors01 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 pm Nothing wrong with the Isa tackle. Patten should have been sin binned for starting the punch up along with the Westwood sending off and a drop out. Don't get me wrong we still would not have won the match because we only started playing in the last 20 minutes. Sacking the coach wont get us out this mess we need better players. Our attack is a shambles we need an organiser and a couple of hard running forwards. Clubb Naverette, and Sarginson to name a few are no were near good enough. Worrying to read that IL thinks that we haven't turned into a bad team overnight. Sorry to tell you IL but we have, look at the results, league tables don't lie. But its not surprising when we let our only organiser Sam go and the likes of Bateman and don't replace them with like for like. Hardaker is doing ok but he is not an organiser more of a support player but who have we brought in for Bateman simple nobody. Our last recruits are from the Championship and I always thought you brought new players to improve your team not for them to struggle to get into the 19 or go out on loan to other clubs, its just a waste of the salary cap. This squad cannot get us out this mess they are simply not good enough. IL and KR you have some serious work to do other than trying to promote on the road games. The question remains to be seen if you are up to the challenge otherwise the chances of Edwards being at Wigan are extremely remote because there is no way he will coach a Championship side.
Hardaker replaced Sam, Bullock replaced Sutton, Greenwood replaced Bateman, but came in early due to the Joel Tomkins incident .
This is just not correct. Hardaker is a different player than Sam Tomkins and not a leader. There is no way Bullock is as good as Sutton yet . Greenwood did not replace Bateman for the obvious reason they BOTH played in the GF and formed our best back row in the lead up to the playoffs once Greenwood arrived.

In the back row we have gone from having Greenwood, Bateman with the option of Farrell on the bench to Greenwood, Farrell on the wrong side of the pitch (when fit) and Isa or a junior player.

It’s just not comparable and I think the problem is IL and Rads think it is.

If Wigan could have kept Bateman they would have but even if you subscribe to the theory he was signed replace Bateman the club completely ignored who else we had to play in the second row which is why we ended up shunting Farrell to the wrong side of the pitch.

It’s as if IL and Rads were treating the players as mere commodities assuming just because Hardaker was a top full back and Greenwood is a good back row all you need to is sign them and it’s job done as they and the existing Wigan players like Farrell will all slot in seamlessly together. Well that hasn’t happened has it!