Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:00 pm Out of curisoity is there any ban in union for people associating with league like there use to be? Couldnt that explain only verbal agreements until after the WC.

Its not a very big statement but again Fans jumping at IL and the club when there is only he said she said talk atm.
Didn’t that stop went the sport went pro?
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Complete and utter screw up. Edwards is an iconic figure in rugby circles of both codes now around the world and deserves much, much better than this. It would have been a real coup to have him at Wigan but can't see it happening now. It seems that all the talk of Shaun working closely with Lam this season was just hot air. The announcement press conference - one of the greatest days in the history of the club I think IL said - is a sham on Wigan's part.

As for trying to contact him over the weekend - it's 3 hours in a car. If Wigan are serious get down there and talk to the guy!! And don't leave without a yes and a signed contract.

Otherwise I despair for our club and the negative effect on the whole club could be devastating. The prospect of SE coming 'home', even if only for a couple of years, is the only thing keeping me remotely interested.

Why, just why, are we in this mess??????
jobo

Post by jobo »

medlocke wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:50 am Not a very big statement
Looks like someone has cocked up and is trying to pass the buck.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 pm As for trying to contact him over the weekend - it's 3 hours in a car. If Wigan are serious get down there and talk to the guy!! And don't leave without a yes and a signed contract.
That for me says everything about how we are run at the moment. Just get in a bloody car and visit the bloke and talk face to face. Its not like we are trying to recruit him from Australia :roll: :roll: :roll:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Most are missing the point.

Did IL/KR go in front of a TV crew and present a coach who hadn't signed a contract?

If so why did they think this was even remotely acceptable?

What they do/don't do going forward is irrelevant to the above.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

I put a post on around March 1st he hadn't signed a contract. It's management who have slipped up and they would have just carried on pro tem if he hadn't have said that in his interview on tv.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:50 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 am
First Try Tickle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 am I suppose its better than nothing.

At least we now know the club are trying to get in touch with him to sort things out. Without this statement it seemed we weren't interested and were happy for him to look elsewhere.
This seems more of "we can't say nothing" than anything else, sorry but IL and Rads have had fans pants down in a big way here, the relationship between the club and SE has already taken damage and he isn't even in post yet!
If it does finally to come out that he was never in fact given a contract to sign the only answer is to force Lenagan out starting with a total boycott of the clubs next home game. This is the biggest disgrace since the club signed TAP as our coach when I gave up my seat in the West Stand after 48 years (then) as a committed supporter come hell or high water. I am hoping against hope that its all press hype but this non statement seems to suggest all the rumours on here for the past several weeks have been true and no blame can be laid at Edwards door.
Are you going to buy the club ?
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

jao711 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 pm Are you going to buy the club ?
Are you selling it?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:43 pm Most are missing the point.

Did IL/KR go in front of a TV crew and present a coach who hadn't signed a contract?

I agree. On what planet do you offer a man the coaching job, don't have him sign a contract there and then but compound matters by letting this situation persist and expect Edwards to accept the situation?

When this started to surface in the press I thought it was just the press making a mountain out of a molehill. Edwards comments were pretty innocuous but looking back I think he was dropping a huge hint to the club to pull its finger out. Despite these first comments it is clear nothing has happened since. So now Edwards patience has run out.

So has mine. With Lenegan and Radlinski.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:43 pm Most are missing the point.

I agree. On what planet do you offer a man the coaching job, don't have him sign a contract there and then but compound matters by letting this situation persist and expect Edwards to accept the situation?

When this started to surface in the press I thought it was just the press making a mountain out of a molehill. Edwards comments were pretty innocuous but looking back I think he was dropping a huge hint to the club to pull its finger out. Despite these first comments it is clear nothing has happened since. So now Edwards patience has run out.

So has mine. With Lenegan and Radlinski.
I agree with everything you have posted here, but one thing I just cannot understand. Even assuming a major (unforgivable) balls up, what did Wigan think they would have to gain by delaying the contract signing even further? Why, as you highlight, when prompted by Edwards a few months ago, did they not do something about it then as a matter of urgency?

Any employer cannot leave the prospective employee hanging on like that. I don't care which industry you are in.

Edwards has to take some of the responsibility himself, personally I would not have attended anything without a contract being signed, but this could be put down to misplaced trust rather than anything else, and the weight of the evidence points massively against IL/KR.

I just don't get it.