Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by morley pie eater »

Sorry Caboose, l usually agree with you (as a fellow Happy Clapper) but I'm totally with DaveO and Ian B on this. Shaun has done nothing here that anybody in the ssme position wouldn't do. He wouldn't have agreed to come in the first place if he was just up for the best paid job.

As for your comment that Dave is trying to justify his pre-conceived opinions, that's exactly what I thought when I read this -

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 pm
Im sorry the fact that hes aired it all publically shows hes not the untouchable figure.

Hes dragged wigans name into the mud a club he supposadly cares a great deal about according to some.

He is clearly putting his name in the shop window to get the biggest deal he can.

If he wasnt coming he could have quietly gone about sorting out a new job, playing it in the media makes me think there is something else to it.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Nate90 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:19 pm
If he doesn't come to Wigan what should the contingency plan be? Shaun Wane and a decent attacking coach as assistant?

No. That’s like asking Celtic and Rangers to merge
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:39 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:37 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:25 pm DaveO although you do have valid point i feel your animosity towards IL and KS and your seemingly idolisation of Edwards as person may be heavily effecting your view,

If it does go belly up Edwards will not be clean, these comment read like someone trying to save face by posting blame elsewhere.

Why would he care about his name in league when hes a hero in RU!
I don't care about his name in league. I have said if he instigated this his name would be dirt at Wigan which is simply stating an opinion.

And if I have a valid point how does my opinion of IL and KR make any difference?
Valid as in we should have signed a contract when he was paraded.

However you have time and time again said how you think Edward is clean in this, i disagree.
That is not true. This was my first reaction following the interview where he said he had no contract in the other thread:
The fact Edwards has said the club told him they would sign a contract later has left me incredulous.

What on earth is IL playing at?

Organising a press conference, parading Edwards as the coach for 2020 and he didn’t sign a contract? Rank stupidity.

The idea he did this just in case Lam was successful and so he then would not have to break the deal with Edwards is a joke. That is no way to employ anyone. You either want the man in 2020 or you don’t.

I have to say though why doesn’t Edwards just get on the phone and ask IL what is going on? And likewise the other way, why doesn’t IL contact Edwards? All this going on in the press doesn’t make anyone look good. It should be dead easy to sort this out between the two of them.

The the the club is being run at the moment is amateurish in the extreme. Can’t some journalist pin IL down and drag a statement out if him?
So no I don't agree with Edwards negotiating in the press but this whole saga stems from IL and KR's incompetence assuming Edwards isn't lying about not having signed a contract.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

To me I think it’s clear he’s been offered a deal to stay in Union one I think he would have rejected if a contract had been signed at Wigan,which is not the case.

Do I think he will come to Wigan now? No not a chance to much mistrust now for it to work on both sides,time to move on and put this sorry saga behind us.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 pm To me I think it’s clear he’s been offered a deal to stay in Union one I think he would have rejected if a contract had been signed at Wigan,which is not the case.

Do I think he will come to Wigan now? No not a chance to much mistrust now for it to work on both sides, time to move on and put this sorry saga behind us.
Sadly, that's it, I agree. What a mess.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

He will not be welcome in Wigan after this saga, it takes 2 to break a deal, and I am sure IL would not put himself in this embarrassing position without a trusted gentleman's agreement with Edwards. He has used Wigan RL as a shop window for the highest bidder which is something I mentioned a few months ago :oops:
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Well I still think he will come next season and something will be announced later this week.

The way I see it, is they agreed on a 3 year deal and Edwards gave his word. No contract was signed as it was a bit rushed with Wane leaving. Edward has done this in the past with Wasps where he just agreed and when asked said he doesn't go back when he's given his word.

When asked after last Saturdays game if he'll miss Rugby Union, he's replied that he's not seen a contract yet, so may end up back in Union if Lenagan doesn't end up offering one. The reporter takes this and re-words as to how he think will sound better in the article.

Maybe that's just me being super optimistic, but if he doesn't end up coming then IL and KR need to seriously think about their positions as we will be ridiculed over this for years.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 am He will not be welcome in Wigan after this saga, it takes 2 to break a deal, and I am sure IL would not put himself in this embarrassing position without a trusted gentleman's agreement with Edwards. He has used Wigan RL as a shop window for the highest bidder which is something I mentioned a few months ago :oops:
But remember that well know legal truism.

A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's not written on.

Anyway I am a little more optimistic this morning. I remember Lenagan saying he had been wanting Edwards as Wigan coach for many years. He is going to splash the cash to get his wish and also to get himself out of this embarrassing hole he has dug himself into by not giving Edwards a contract to sign before the press announcement and tv cameras last August.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ddtftf wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 am He will not be welcome in Wigan after this saga, it takes 2 to break a deal, and I am sure IL would not put himself in this embarrassing position without a trusted gentleman's agreement with Edwards. He has used Wigan RL as a shop window for the highest bidder which is something I mentioned a few months ago :oops:
Absolute Tosh in my opinion

1) Why would he need Wigan to bargain a better deal in Union? ask any welsh union fan and they would tell you he is a god, his stock in RU is massively high he doesn't need Wigan to bargain a deal in fact if anything saying he is coming to league is likely to lower the amount he is offered for RU because our wages aren't on the same playing field so we would be a lot easier to out do.

2) Even if he was using Wigan to orchestrate a deal why go through the process of "signing" effectively at this point he would of been off RU radar as someone who is now a done deal elsewhere, fair enough if he just flirted his name with Wigan saying "i might go there" maybe but why say i am going, why go through all the bother of saying he was going in 2020 to honour his current contract.

3) Gentleman's agreements dont pay bills, IL shount NOT have said Edwards was coach unless the contract had been singed the fact that 9 months later they still havent given him a contract is ridiculous and shows what an absolute shower of s&(" our club is being run like. Shaun Edwards is well within his rights to say "ang on im out a job soon where is my contract!" If anything IL and Rads should publically apologise to Shaun and Adrain Lam - because lets not forget the whole 1 year job thing was another totally b$$$$cks idea and now it seems that it might not even be that
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The idea he needed to or did use Wigan to put himself in the shop window is ridiculous. His standing in RU is so high, he can name his price without going through the fiasco of a press conference to announce his "signing". Him (probably) not now coming has clearly blown a hole in the credibility of IL and KR and has derailed their plans so the idea Edwards would set out to do this from the off with no intention of coming to Wigan at all if a better offer came along despite "signing" is a conspiracy theory too far.

He chose to come to Wigan because he was offered the job and he wanted to do it. If IL and KR had not been so inept we would not be in this position. The idea any club agrees to sign anyone, coach or player, without a contract being signed on a gentleman's agreement is farcical. All that does is leave the window wide open to other interested parties to make an offer. In this case Wigan had every opportunity to nip this in the bud when he first mentioned he was not certain he was coming to Wigan before the six nations. IL and KR knew he had no contract so instead of a wake up call and them getting him a contract sorted they just left it. Now every man and his dog knows he not contracted to Wigan.