Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by No straw damn us »

What still makes no sense at all is that Edwards was at the game v London Skolars with Radlinski and Lenagan, so what has changed since then and why.

As I've said previously I don't believe there have been no conversations between them in the last two months, it doesn't add up at all.

Maybe if Edwards has said "I want x,y and z" in terms of players and staff and Lenagan and/or Rads have answered that the club can't afford it?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 am Anyway I am a little more optimistic this morning. I remember Lenagan saying he had been wanting Edwards as Wigan coach for many years. He is going to splash the cash to get his wish and also to get himself out of this embarrassing hole he has dug himself into by not giving Edwards a contract to sign before the press announcement and tv cameras last August.
You think? I am afraid the cost cutting at the club has me thinking if Edwards walks away IL will breathe a sigh of relief despite the flak. He's thick skinned enough to brazen that out though what he thinks it would do for season ticket sales in 2020 I have no idea. He can get in someone much cheaper.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:50 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 am
First Try Tickle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 am I suppose its better than nothing.

At least we now know the club are trying to get in touch with him to sort things out. Without this statement it seemed we weren't interested and were happy for him to look elsewhere.
This seems more of "we can't say nothing" than anything else, sorry but IL and Rads have had fans pants down in a big way here, the relationship between the club and SE has already taken damage and he isn't even in post yet!
If it does finally to come out that he was never in fact given a contract to sign the only answer is to force Lenagan out starting with a total boycott of the clubs next home game. This is the biggest disgrace since the club signed TAP as our coach when I gave up my seat in the West Stand after 48 years (then) as a committed supporter come hell or high water. I am hoping against hope that its all press hype but this non statement seems to suggest all the rumours on here for the past several weeks have been true and no blame can be laid at Edwards door.
How can you boycott matches when you don't go? :roll:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

You see IB though everyones wanting to gut IL... but what if it is Edwards at fault.

Yesterday they stated they are trying to contact him and i'm know going to wait to see how the club responds.

Someone the other forum posted a question.

What if SE was happy for it to be a verbal agreement/handshake at first because when he follows to RU money hes kept his rep (that people take so much stock in) intact. After all hes hasnt signed.

My personal view is there is two sides to every story and when posters have stated they have seen him at matches. How does that add up to having no contact with the club?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Shaun was the first person I spoke with," he said. "He indicated early on he was under pressure from Wigan and that the timeline that was imposed on us were unrealistic. “I talked around a process we would be going through. That was pre-autumn and pre-Six Nations. Shaun signed with Wigan and that put paid to the discussions going any further.

Read more at: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9659625
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And this story does just rumbles on!! What a cock-up!!
'Disappointed' new Wales coach denies Shaun Edwards' comments as saga with Wigan Warriors rumbles on

Incoming Wales coach Wayne Pivac has spoken of his 'disappointment' over Shaun Edwards' recent remarks about his future. Edwards' bombshell interview last weekend made it clear he was a free agent because he has not signed a contract with Wigan.

But his remarks also raised eyebrows with Wales RU, after Edwards said new coach Pivac was going in a "different direction".

"The only team I'm not going to go to is Wales," said the Wigan legend. "He wants to do something different."

Pivac, though, insists Edwards was in his plans. “Shaun was the first person I spoke with," he said. "He indicated early on he was under pressure from Wigan and that the timeline that was imposed on us were unrealistic.

“I talked around a process we would be going through. That was pre-autumn and pre-Six Nations. Shaun signed with Wigan and that put paid to the discussions going any further. “Shaun knew he was on the shortlist, that he was the incumbent. We’d had a meeting and subsequent conversations.

“We are a little bit disappointed that’s come out over the weekend but we are certainly not going to let it detract from a great result at the weekend. “It’s between Shaun and Wigan. I have no control over that. I only know about the discussions we had way back in August.” Wigan yesterday issued a brief statement to say they were trying to make contact with Edwards to find out his future intentions.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9659625
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nobody is going to come out of this lily white for sure,the sooner the club end this farce and employ someone who wants to be at Wigan the better it seems to me
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

I agree - SE obviously doesn't want to come to Wigan - I think we've had a lucky escape. Let's get someone who truly is passionate about Wigan as SW was so we can all move on
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
curryman

Post by curryman »

Shaun Edwards playing career at Wigan ended on a sour note. Internal politics caused him to relocate to London so that he could stay close to his family who had moved there because Heather Small's singing career had taken off big time. He ended up playing his last 60 games for London Broncos (though he did briefly commute to Bradford during this period). Like SOL and others, he should have been a one club man (in the UK, he did once play 12 games for Balmain in the NRL during our off season), but the management construed to make sure this did not happen. (He asked to be allowed to train in London on a Monday so he could have an extra day with his family, the club said no).

Perhaps he now has another agenda that is bothering him. The Welsh grand slam was partly attributed to the defensive coaching of Edwards. So his stock and earning power has risen dramatically in the last few days. There is a rumour that he has been offered the coaching job at Wasps. He would be very interested in this as his son, James, is just breaking into the Wasps first team. Shaun has previously turned down top jobs (like Great Britain coach) because it would have involved him having to move back up Northand away from the kid. Perhaps that is bothering him again.

On top of this, last August, when the new Wigan coaching appointments were announced, IL told the BBC he was "delighted" that Edwards had signed a three year deal. If it now turns out that this is fake news, Shaun might well feel its the same old same old with Wigan, They don't treat their players very well and assume that they will work for the club simply because its Wigan. This might have been true for some in Shaun's playing days, but those days are long gone and currently the future of Wigan RLFC looks pretty bleak if you start analysing it.

So perhaps he has taken stock and concluded he is better off staying down south where he can be close to his lad on a day to day basis, whilst earning a lot more money than he ever will at the DW.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Shaun gone right down in my estimation.
He was one of my heroes for Wigan, best player I’ve seen play in my era.
Obviously doesn’t care about Wigan as much as he makes out if he has to go public about the contract or no contract with Wigan.