Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The interview doesnt help Shaun Edwards' case

I still dont believe that he was using Wigan to get a better deal but i do think he no doesnt want to come here. I find it strange that most of this talk comes after the Williams announcement might Shaun have talked to Wigan and said "look what am i going to have to spend" and been told "nothing"

To me this relationship is already damaged, i wasnt a big fan of Edwards coming in the first place, i would of preferred a Aussie NRL no2 but i got on board.

Wigan still have to accept the lions share of the blame here though and again show the complete failings at management level. If they had Edwards on a contract none of this would of happened and you can say Oral contracts till your blue in the face unless that meeting was recorded or there have been emails to the admission of that contract then its an non starter.

Absolute sham of a situation
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

It'll be very damaging to wigan and RL if Edward's turns us down for a job as a number two in union.
I always thought it was strange that he'd come back here in its current state.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm The interview doesnt help Shaun Edwards' case

I still dont believe that he was using Wigan to get a better deal but i do think he no doesnt want to come here. I find it strange that most of this talk comes after the Williams announcement might Shaun have talked to Wigan and said "look what am i going to have to spend" and been told "nothing"

To me this relationship is already damaged, i wasnt a big fan of Edwards coming in the first place, i would of preferred a Aussie NRL no2 but i got on board.

Wigan still have to accept the lions share of the blame here though and again show the complete failings at management level. If they had Edwards on a contract none of this would of happened and you can say Oral contracts till your blue in the face unless that meeting was recorded or there have been emails to the admission of that contract then its an non starter.

Sorry but B#llsh#it.

You have speculated, Edwards keeps being defended on the basis hes a man of his word. Well hes breaking it at the moment.

SE was at the press release when it said he was coming for 3 years, he had agreed a wage as when he asked he stated would you take a job for less money.

He stood and participated in all the promotional material hes in.. something extremely stupid to do if you have no agreement.

He must have been happy with a verbal agreement at that point and this has only come up when his stock in RU has skyrocketed.

And on williams leaving that is still rummour (although likely) but no where has it been stated he wouldnt be replaced or that the incoming long term coach couldnt spend.

IL said the club needed to cut back yes but on the back if falling attendance it was always going to happen. Why would he keep investing when fans dont show up?

SE could have even been the reason for the cost cutting. As if hes on the same as his union wage i cant see him being cheap at all.

But as with all comments its all just speculation.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:31 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm The interview doesnt help Shaun Edwards' case

Sorry but B#llsh#it.

You have speculated, Edwards keeps being defended on the basis hes a man of his word. Well hes breaking it at the moment.

SE was at the press release when it said he was coming for 3 years, he had agreed a wage as when he asked he stated would you take a job for less money.

He stood and participated in all the promotional material hes in.. something extremely stupid to do if you have no agreement.

He must have been happy with a verbal agreement at that point and this has only come up when his stock in RU has skyrocketed.

And on williams leaving that is still rummour (although likely) but no where has it been stated he wouldnt be replaced or that the incoming long term coach couldnt spend.

IL said the club needed to cut back yes but on the back if falling attendance it was always going to happen. Why would he keep investing when fans dont show up?

SE could have even been the reason for the cost cutting. As if hes on the same as his union wage i cant see him being cheap at all.

on the bits in bold

1) He did say he was coming but how do we know that verbal agreement was still valid? Surely if it wasnt going to change why did IL/Rads get him to sign a proper agreement? why leave it verbal - whichever you cut it that is completely amateur and leaving yourself open to problems. Im not saying SE hasnt gone back on the verbal agreement my main point is that had IL/Rads acted like any normal management they would have avoided this by having a proper agreement in place then SE would have no choice but to come. To parade him as the next coach without tying him down is shocking, regardless of whether you think SE is out of order or not Wigan have allowed this to happen by being rubbish

2) What is all this nonsense about his value in RU sky rocketing??? people are acting like he's just turned up he's been a massive name for years in RU and can probably walk into 90% of the jobs he would like, his stock is no higher now than it was last year - he has been regarded for years now as one of/ if not THE best defence coach in the game.

3) Why would he keep investing when fans dont turn up is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. Its like film makers saying why should we spend money on good actors if people arent going to watch the film, yet they are hell of a lot more likely to watch the film if its an all star cast, they are not going to pay top dollar to watch people from wigan little theatre
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Sorry but B#llsh#it.

on the bits in bold

1) He did say he was coming but how do we know that verbal agreement was still valid? Surely if it wasnt going to change why did IL/Rads get him to sign a proper agreement? why leave it verbal - whichever you cut it that is completely amateur and leaving yourself open to problems. Im not saying SE hasnt gone back on the verbal agreement my main point is that had IL/Rads acted like any normal management they would have avoided this by having a proper agreement in place then SE would have no choice but to come. To parade him as the next coach without tying him down is shocking, regardless of whether you think SE is out of order or not Wigan have allowed this to happen by being rubbish

2) What is all this nonsense about his value in RU sky rocketing??? people are acting like he's just turned up he's been a massive name for years in RU and can probably walk into 90% of the jobs he would like, his stock is no higher now than it was last year - he has been regarded for years now as one of/ if not THE best defence coach in the game.

3) Why would he keep investing when fans dont turn up is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. Its like film makers saying why should we spend money on good actors if people arent going to watch the film, yet they are hell of a lot more likely to watch the film if its an all star cast, they are not going to pay top dollar to watch people from wigan little theatre
Yes hes been a name in RU for years but what wales have done this time round due to in the main their defense means he is suddenly the man if the moment.

I agree the club should have put pen to paper but im sick of seing our club bashed for a guy who clearly isnt interested in the role anymore.

And on films look at the DC multiverse. They didnt get good return so where ditched in favour of stand alone films. Aka the investment was pulled.

If people dont turn up the films dont get sequals.

Ive not seen SE in his hayday i havent grown up on his legend, i can only look at what im seeing now and it.doesnt look good.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

First bit of the blame is on the club for not issuing a contract before the whole press release.

Second part of the blame is Shaun going back on his word and using the situation as a get out clause for coming to Wigan as he either wants to stay in RU generally or has an offer on the table already.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

I take your point that Edwards does appear to have screwed Wigan over a bit but my resentment comes from how poorly run Wigan are that they let this happen

I do also take your point with the investment but its chicken and egg isnt it, if IL wants high gates he needs something for people to invest in you cannot expect fans to stump up money for dross, and as an owner you cant just say well we need your money before we can change the dross because how do fans know that will be the case.

year on year the squad has reduced in quality the only way you can keep serving dross is charging less for it.

Play a championship squad expect championship crowds
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

What a mess. To add insult to injury Denis Betts is now unavailable! There is always Kieron Cunningham
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What does he need time to think about, He's had 9 months for friggs sake, He either wants to coach the club that made him a legend or he doesn't, He want's to remember that he wouldn't be where he is today without the club, Can anyone honestly say he would be where he is now if he had played for Warrington, He has his current career thanks to Rugby League, He owes Rugby Union nothing :evil:
Wigan Watcher

TIME TO THINK?

Post by Wigan Watcher »

So Mr Edward's wants time to think!
What is going on here. Wigan and Edwards should sign a contract. Ewards should be saying let's sign a contract not I'm now not sure if I want the job.
Then if not find something else.

For me that is a clear sign of both parties not sure after the media they decided they both wanted to be part of..

It's a joke yet again.

For me it was wrong to sign Edward's as he has not been in our game for many many years and there are proven coaches out there.