Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by Caboosegg »

old hooker wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:18 pm
ddtftf wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:37 pm I honestly feel IL treats the spectators with no respect, I have on numerous occasions posted players we have signed weeks before he has announced them to the fans. Why not just tell the fans who he has signed and not try the yearly announcement of something like signing Edwards just to boost season ticket sales when he has not even got a signed contract from Edwards.
He certainly does not show any respect to the fans, he is a businessman first and foremost and a devious one at that, but as long as people keep thinking the sun shines out of his backside he will continue to run theclub down and he is doing a good job of it up to now.
Saved the club
Brought us success
Did this while always having the ethos the club wouldnt spend more than it earns so as not to repeat the past.

The 'fans' dont turn up to support and blame him for no money being spent.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
ddtftf wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:37 pm I honestly feel IL treats the spectators with no respect, I have on numerous occasions posted players we have signed weeks before he has announced them to the fans. Why not just tell the fans who he has signed and not try the yearly announcement of something like signing Edwards just to boost season ticket sales when he has not even got a signed contract from Edwards.
He certainly does not show any respect to the fans, he is a businessman first and foremost and a devious one at that, but as long as people keep thinking the sun shines out of his backside he will continue to run theclub down and he is doing a good job of it up to now.
Saved the club
Brought us success
Did this while always having the ethos the club wouldnt spend more than it earns so as not to repeat the past.

How did he save the club? It wasn’t in danger of going bust under Dave Whelan’s ownership. He was worth at least 10 times what IL is.

The ethos of not spending more than it earns is just an excuse for a chairman who can’t raise enough sponsorship and can’t afford to bankroll it out of a personal fortune. Have you seen some of the sponsors we have had under his leadership?

The club gets the full salary cap paid. So he’s no expense there. He wanted the marquee rule but made the astonishing announcement he wanted one of them to take a pay cut. RL clubs are not profit making enterprises and if he wants Wigan to be successful he has to outbid our rivals for the best marquee players, best coaches and best backroom staff such as conditioners. Not let them leave and not replace them e.g. Biton.

If he wants the club to pay for itself it is up to him to run it well enough so that it generates the required income the
vast majority of which has to come from TV money and sponsorship.

The problem with IL and finance is he is a one man band. He’s no Moran, Koukash or Dave Whelan as far as wealth goes and he has shown no aptitude for signing a big sponsor.

So here we are cost cutting.

He owns something like 98% of the shares and has as his right hand man KR who is just an ex player. He calls all the shots and makes all the decisions. This is IMO a huge problem. If we had a proper board of directors who brought expertise to the club I doubt we’d have this Edwards fiasco.

He’s also had the ethos of resigning ex players which backfired, we pay to the full cap and have a substandard squad with ageing players and some just not good enough. He even just plain lied about Bateman coming back.

Now we have the Edwards situation and this is just another symptom of steady decline despite the trophy success last year. I think Wane saw the writing on the wall and bailed.

I don’t know what you see in him. He has come out with some patronising nonsense to make excuses over the years and I expect we are in for some more over this.

It may well turn out Edwards decided to change his mind and if he does he will have gone down in my estimations big time but that doesn’t get IL off the hook. For a start it will just have blown his master plan out of the water but regardless of what happens next the no contract thing just makes the club looks amateurish. This gentleman’s agreement thing is nonsense. It’s 2019 not 1819.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

It may well turn out Edwards decided to change his mind and if he does he will have gone down in my estimations big time but that doesn’t get IL off the hook. For a start it will just have blown his master plan out of the water but regardless of what happens next the no contract thing just makes the club looks amateurish. This gentleman’s agreement thing is nonsense. It’s 2019 not 1819.
[/quote]

This sums up the situation perfectly.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO its not about what i see in IL

Its the fact that a number of posters cant see past their own dislike and opinions of how the club is run in the background.

This creates a situation where that group does nothing but put the club and ownership down.

I dont think everything is rosey but this constant anyone but the club is right is so demoralising especially when the sport is at a niche level so it looks like the overal supporters view to any neutral fan looking at the forums.

For example Wane, everyone has now turned it into a jump ship situation. But we dont actually know what went on. saying that allows futher Anti IL sentiment though.

For all we know wane could have stepped down because he needed a less demanding job (like two days a week) due to health reasons.. he did have a few operations while coach.

But again that just plucking stuff out of thin air kn my part.

IL isnt perfect but he has done alot for the club, whats happened to WA the one whelen kept hold of again?

We have a decent amount of silverware, we invest alot in our player development youth wise we have one of the best academies in the league. There was an article on LRL saying during Wanes Tenure 41 youngster got debued, now not all are obviously still at wigan but we have littered the league with some quality players, wane may have brought them through but its IL investment in the youth (something he alwasy states hes passionate about) thats done that as well.

The club may be wrong as well but to someone without the hero admiration of SE, it looks very much like hes taking a dump on us all.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, Superleague in general, not just Wigan, have Shaun Wane to thank for the many players the Wigan system has brought through. That said, I think Dave is spot-on in his last post.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:04 pm
Saved the club
Brought us success

Saved the club ? No he didnt,Brought ius success?We had plenty of that before IL came on board.He gives out false info to fans and some are gullible enough to believe it,you think what you like but i know what i choose to think.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Don't blame the fans for not turning up so no money to buy players, a good business man spends to accumulate not the other way round. I have been in business for many years and have learned that if you don't change of refresh your business and come up with a vision to improve , then you go backwards , you build on success not cut costs :cry:
endoman

Post by endoman »

Having been promised things verbally prior to signing contracts, then seeing them not materialise leaving me in a compromised position, I can maybe see where Edwards is coming from. Frustration may be a factor?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Under Whelan, Wigan lost money hand over fist. They won the Challenge Cup in 2002 (not sure if he was in charge for the 1998 Super League win).
The players were given two sets of training gear and had to wash them themselves. Players were paying for their own membership at Whelans gyms. Some young players in the first team were earning less than
£8,500 per year.

Please don't put Whelan on a pedestal.

Lenagan has done more for Wigan R.L. than Whelan ever did. Has he made mistakes, of course he has.
As for not getting sponsorship, do you honestly believe he hasn't tried? Have a look at the Super League teams and how many major sponsors do you see? I'll guarantee that without looking them up you'll hardly be able to name any!!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ory?page=4
Last edited by No straw damn us on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:33 am Under Whelan, Wigan lost money hand over fist. They won the Challenge Cup in 2002 (not sure if he was in charge for the 1998 Super League win).
The players were given two sets of training gear and had to wash them themselves. Players were paying for their own membership at Whelans gyms. Some young players in the first team were earning less than
£8,500 per year.

Please don't put Whelan on a pedestal.

Lenagan has done more for Wigan R.L. than Whelan ever did. Has he made mistakes, of course he has.
As for not getting sponsorship, do you honestly believe he hasn't tried? Have a look at the Super League teams and how many major sponsors do you see? I'll guarantee that without looking them up you'll hardly be able to name any!!
👍🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan