Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by Fujiman »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:33 am Under Whelan, Wigan lost money hand over fist. They won the Challenge Cup in 2002 (not sure if he was in charge for the 1998 Super League win).
The players were given two sets of training gear and had to wash them themselves. Players were paying for their own membership at Whelans gyms. Some young players in the first team were earning less than
£8,500 per year.

Please don't put Whelan on a pedestal.

Lenagan has done more for Wigan R.L. than Whelan ever did. Has he made mistakes, of course he has.
As for not getting sponsorship, do you honestly believe he hasn't tried? Have a look at the Super League teams and how many major sponsors do you see? I'll guarantee that without looking them up you'll hardly be able to name any!!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ory?page=4
Stop with the facts will you. Its spoiling a slagging off.
bertina

Post by bertina »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:33 am Under Whelan, Wigan lost money hand over fist. They won the Challenge Cup in 2002 (not sure if he was in charge for the 1998 Super League win).
The players were given two sets of training gear and had to wash them themselves. Players were paying for their own membership at Whelans gyms. Some young players in the first team were earning less than
£8,500 per year.

Lenagan has done more for Wigan R.L. than Whelan ever did. Has he made mistakes, of course he has.
As for not getting sponsorship, do you honestly believe he hasn't tried? Have a look at the Super League teams and how many major sponsors do you see? I'll guarantee that without looking them up you'll hardly be able to name any!!

Well said.!! Bloody short memories some people on here.
Get a proper board of directors ?. yes, just like our famous bunch of Robinson, Rathbone et al back in the day that almost did
for the club altogether.
Get better sponsors. ? WOW !! Bet nobody has ever thought of that.
Lenegan isn't perfect, who is ?, But unless someone out there knows of a generous Wigan lover with bottomless pockets, I think we should be careful what we wish for.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:36 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:32 pm Well I’ve heard a rumour that SE was promised money to sign RU players & that has now been refused!

Apparently he has a lot of explaining to do to the these union players!!
They count as zero on cap apparently so would be dissapointing if this is true
They still cost the club money. i.e. IL.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

If wigan make a loss I am not sure but if he made wigan a subsidiary company he could off set the loss against his other companies & to reduce the tax on his other companies. . This is private money introduced and not the salary cap money :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:32 pm Well I’ve heard a rumour that SE was promised money to sign RU players & that has now been refused!

Apparently he has a lot of explaining to do to the these union players!!
I think we are starting to get to the truth of it,I don’t think Wigan will have a marquee player next season but we shall see of course,as for Josies rumour I can certainly think the story has more than a kernel of truth to it,Wigan are a club in cost cutting mode,the mythical war chest won’t arrive (in fairness I said ,that last week and got shot down)so Edwards has decided enough is enough.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

There is a gadgee on the rlfans that is saying he has been told it is all down to underhanded behavior on Edwards part and that IL/KR and the club have done everything possible to get Edwards signature, Supposedly this has come from deep inside the club and he is scared of legal ramifications so he won't tell the full story, He seems to be a genuine bloke on there
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm There is a gadgee on the rlfans that is saying he has been told it is all down to underhanded behavior on Edwards part and that IL/KR and the club have done everything possible to get Edwards signature, Supposedly this has come from deep inside the club and he is scared of legal ramifications so he won't tell the full story, He seems to be a genuine bloke on there
I’m always wary of these “deep throat” type of posters,I tend to read all and see if I can smell Bs,most of the time it’s all fluff (I post enough of it to know it) then every now and again you see a post that just rings true,I don’t venture over there often to RLfans as it’s a scary place but i remember one poster saying Hardaker was signing and in due course he did,that was ages before it was announced.

I’ll have to have a look and see if I can spot “deep throat” over there in the rlfans land
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm There is a gadgee on the rlfans that is saying he has been told it is all down to underhanded behavior on Edwards part and that IL/KR and the club have done everything possible to get Edwards signature, Supposedly this has come from deep inside the club and he is scared of legal ramifications so he won't tell the full story, He seems to be a genuine bloke on there
I’m always wary of these “deep throat” type of posters,I tend to read all and see if I can smell Bs,most of the time it’s all fluff (I post enough of it to know it) then every now and again you see a post that just rings true,I don’t venture over there often to RLfans as it’s a scary place but i remember one poster saying Hardaker was signing and in due course he did,that was ages before it was announced.

I’ll have to have a look and see if I can spot “deep throat” over there in the rlfans land
He's the one getting clobbered for saying i know something that you dont know but dont ask me what because i cant say but just letting you know i know something you dont :D
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Fujiman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm

He's the one getting clobbered for saying i know something that you dont know but dont ask me what because i cant say but just letting you know i know something you dont :D
Thats the one, Don't usually bother with that type of post but I don't recall him coming out with anything like it before, It's got me thinking there could be some truth in it
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

bertina wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:02 pm
£8,500 per year.

Well said.!! Bloody short memories some people on here.
Get a proper board of directors ?. yes, just like our famous bunch of Robinson, Rathbone et al back in the day that almost did
for the club altogether.
Get better sponsors. ? WOW !! Bet nobody has ever thought of that.
Lenegan isn't perfect, who is ?, But unless someone out there knows of a generous Wigan lover with bottomless pockets, I think we should be careful what we wish for.
Well said both of you 😊 🏉🍒⚪️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan