Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Club Statement: Shaun Edwards

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:06 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 pm

“I take full responsibility for missing the mention of a signed contract in Wigan’s Press Release at the time of Shaun’s appointment.”

Yeah right. You were just forgot to announce you had not really signed him.

Had you not forgot and actually mentioned it then just what sort of reaction do you think there would have been?

No one would have taken the announcement as serious at all. There would have been no positive publicity at all. Just questions about had we really signed him or not.

I said we’d get some prime IL spin about this and so it begins.
Course all IL fault, did you read the part about Edwards wanting to be left alone for six nations? Doesnt mesh with his not heard anything in 9 months does it.

Sorry DaveO despite the fault that lies with IL, SE has crapped all over the club, he obviously isnt a 'Man of his word"
Did you read that quote from IL and think it was acceptable? The idea he forgot to mention it is a joke. Had he done so the announcement would have been a none announcement. That quote means he thinks it was an oversight not to mention no contract was signed and you know as well as I do the first reaction to that would have been a load of questions asking was he to be Wigan’s coach in 2020 or not?

If he’d got a signed contract there would be none of this talk about not holding Edwards to a gentleman’s agreement. It would have been about releasing him from a contract if that is what Edwards wants. Totally different ball game. The only reason we are in this farce of a situation is because top businessman IL thought a gentleman’s agreement was a real thing in 2019 and/or due to plain ineptitude.
I did i also said that IL is at fault.
Will you admit that Edwards is not faultless?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 pm despite the fault that lies with IL, SE has crapped all over the club, he obviously isnt a 'Man of his word"
So the fault lies with IL but it is SE fault for looking elsewhere when after 9 months - nothing - nowt - no contract in the post - no prevarication from either party that they initially made a mistake.

If you bought a tv from Currys and shook hands on it with the salesperson, if after nine months you were sat infront of a blank wall wouldn't you want to know what is happening? At very least you would have started to look elsewhere for your telly which is what you are saying Edwards is now wrong to do

Sounds like IL wanted a commitment from someone but didn't have the balls to back that up with cold hard cash down in a contract

It's that seeming unwillingness to speculate with money that leads to me thinking that i Lam's tenure is a failure we are looking at a Winder and/or O'Loughlin coaching set-up for next year with Leulaui thrown in for good measure
According to that article Edwards ASKED to be left alone. This isnt a tv this is IL moronically took one of his heros at his word instead of getting it in writing.

And im also fed up of this its IL fault.

job offers start of Verbal and a hand shake in real life (i deal with recruitmen in my Job) the contracts is sent later on by HR for both parties to sign. of course that isnt what we want or how it works in sport. we want it there and then and not after they have had chance to get other offers.

I fully agree IL looks like a ameuter in all this, what is astounding is that 'Fans' are still defending SE in this. I'm sorry hes made a mockery of our sport and all his media noise was to deflect blame from himself so when the club responds people who are obsessed with his legacy will take that over any truth from the club.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Edwards only cares about money, if you think different your daft or have banged your head recently. He doesn't give a crap about wigan, former great or not. Id withdraw any offer to him and start looking for another coach. Too many people think former players would give everything for a former team and in truth a lot wouldn't give 2 sh!ts about them, edwards included
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

I was told Shaun had asked three times about a contract but all he got was leave it for the time being, in the end he said i don't know whats going on. it's the management who have slipped up, now in this last week they are trying to redress the situation. The lads in Spain with his family, so nothing will be done until he returns.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:33 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 pm despite the fault that lies with IL, SE has crapped all over the club, he obviously isnt a 'Man of his word"
So the fault lies with IL but it is SE fault for looking elsewhere when after 9 months - nothing - nowt - no contract in the post - no prevarication from either party that they initially made a mistake.

If you bought a tv from Currys and shook hands on it with the salesperson, if after nine months you were sat infront of a blank wall wouldn't you want to know what is happening? At very least you would have started to look elsewhere for your telly which is what you are saying Edwards is now wrong to do

Sounds like IL wanted a commitment from someone but didn't have the balls to back that up with cold hard cash down in a contract

It's that seeming unwillingness to speculate with money that leads to me thinking that i Lam's tenure is a failure we are looking at a Winder and/or O'Loughlin coaching set-up for next year with Leulaui thrown in for good measure
According to that article Edwards ASKED to be left alone. .
Look! You and at least half of the fans are at polar opposites regards this. You better get used to your "untouchable" owner being bagged more for his incompetence if he carries on in this manner.

Edwards had prior commitments with Wales for both the Six Nations and the World Cup at the end of this year. It was stated that he wouldn't be available until after those commitments had been completed. No where did it say that we as a club, would not be bothered to table an actual contract for him to sign in the meantime. This appears to be one of these oversights the club has from time-to-time, a bit like those missed wages that got us over the cap in 2017

This isnt a tv this is IL moronically took one of his heros at his word instead of getting it in writing.
It's an analogy. You either refuse or cannot understand things from another person's perspective. Obviously you would be "happy" kept in the dark about things rather than getting them sorted as Edwards appears to have done? Put yourself into SE position rather than IL for a change.

Now I am NOT saying Edwards is blameless in all this for going to the press. About 95% of the blame IS Lenaghan's though.

And im also fed up of this its IL fault.
Who else do you blame? Dave Whelan? Nigel Wood?

We are currently joint bottom of the table playing some of the worst rugby seen in years with a squad to the limit of the salary cap with players all over the championship and next years coach signed on the good nature of a handshake. We as already mentioned had the embarrassment of having a point and fine deduction for salary cap breech that we subsequently had to defend at extra cost to the club

You might have forgotten the comments made since that announcement about what would happen to Lam if he was successful this season. Who decided to have an interim coach that meant even if Lammy was a success he would lose his job?

job offers start of Verbal and a hand shake in real life (i deal with recruitmen in my Job) the contracts is sent later on by HR for both parties to sign. of course that isnt what we want or how it works in sport. we want it there and then and not after they have had chance to get other offers.
I understand exactly what you are saying. Someone either gets the position at the time and hands are shaken or it is confirmed via a letter at a later date.

One thing is for sure, no one would wait almost 9 months before they saw and signed the contract of employment and neither would you. It being a sport thing is a red herring. We used to keep potential signings a deadly secret until actually signed sealed and delivered after losing out for a player to Leigh back in the 80's. Now we announce the press conference and this signing months before any deal and you think that this is "ok" because handshakes and verbal agreements are fine in business? Hold any Brexit negotiations did we??

I fully agree IL looks like a ameuter in all this, what is astounding is that 'Fans' are still defending SE in this. I'm sorry hes made a mockery of our sport and all his media noise was to deflect blame from himself so when the club responds people who are obsessed with his legacy will take that over any truth from the club.
I'm not defending Edwards for going to the press over this as it has raked up a right royal mud storm. As you rightly state this is IL's doing and he is the man who needs to drastically improve on the day to day running of the club as it is currently being run in an amateurish way that is unacceptable and if was run like this as a business (over cap spends/too many players/not enough quality/dropping gates
/non-contracted agreements etc) then the business would be in dire straits
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wall of Voodoo, i do not consider IL untouchable. I just find it amazing that he is getting ripped to shreds and SE isnt.

It takes two to tango and What Edwards is doing to fans is just as bad if not worse.
Remember edwards said at the press release hes always wanted to coach wigan.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 pm IL comes out of this very badly but not as badly as SE in my opinion . To ask for more time after 9 months is just stalling to see how many offers to stay in union he gets and taking a rise out of the club and its fans . For IL to come out saying things like giving the fans the information they deserve is another joke . Pull the plug and let's start again and hope AL turns it around

Regards EW
But your post believes that this is if SE is actually saying at all now. Perhaps IL is working with him to lessen the egg on Lenagans face. No one can really believe that a business man with as much experience as Lenagan could make such a mistake as this accidentally?
I trust John Bateman has his marquee player contract when he returns from Oz safely in his solicitors safe.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Forget about Edwards, move on! If he has to have more time to think, he doesn’t want to coach Wigan.

See if Lammy can turn it around & for us fans to support him & the players, as they must feel as let down as us!

Meanwhile I think the club should be out now looking for a suitable experienced coach to get us back on track ASAP!

What a fecking mishmash of a shambles? We are a laughing stock again 😡
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

And the new record for a point-by-point quotathon goes to . . . Mr Voodoo!

A distraught DaveO was unavailable for comment.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Can’t blame SE holding out for more money if can only afford to go to Spain for his holidays.